School Laptop - Virtualization + side of gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by likebutta, Aug 12, 2017.

1. likebutta

likebutta Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I need to get a new laptop for school, going to be heavy on virtualization so I need both a capable processor and lots of RAM. I won't really be gaming a lot but it would be nice (besides, it seems that most options are categorized as gaming laptops anyway)

==================

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Under $3000 USD (Prefer as low as possible, obviously but if it means hitting all the notes, I'll pay up to)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    EDIT: Add 17.3"

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Canada or US.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Any
    b. Dislike: HP, Apple

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No to refurbished. Possibly yes to redistributed

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Coding, Virtualization (heavy emphasis), occasional gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Needs to be mobile (no heavy bricks or 17" monstrosities; EDIT: I am willing to consider 17" as long as it doesn't surpass 6.)

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Yes (Triple A: BF1, Overwatch, etc)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Prefer 4 hours+. Not necessarily gaming but back to back labs.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I am ok without seeing it in person.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 10 Pro

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

1080p or 1440p; prefer option of 1440p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Either is fine.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No but style is a plus (doesn't need to be lit up like a christmas tree though)

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Soon. Next 3 weeks.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

3-4 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

SSD/m.2/nVME: At least 256GB, 500GB+ preferred if price is right
    HDD: 2TB

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

DVD or Blu-Ray is a plus ONLY IF it can be used at the same as as the above SSD/HDD.

===========

Extras:

- Top end i7
    - 24GB, 32GB RAM preferred
    - GeForce 1060 or better GPU
    - 4 or more USB ports (at least one USB-C a plus)
    - HDMI Out/DisplayPort

Bonuses:

Full Keyboard (re: Numpad)
    Built-In Memory Card Reader(s)

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So your main option as far as maximum CPU performance in a 15.6" laptop is going to be the Sager NP9153 (Clevo P750DM2-G) which houses LGA 1151 compatible desktop processors (basically the latest Intel desktop CPUs). Let me know what you think.

3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    There is also the msi 16L13

Edit
    msi 16L1 from alezka (aka @woodzstack )

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

For that kind of budget these are the options I could find for you: noteb search .

Since you don't want something too big or bulky, I would say go either the Clevo P950 or the Aero 15. Do you have any maximum weight in mind?

You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

5. likebutta

likebutta Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Holy moly. That thing is huge for a 15". But I see what you're saying. Thank you.

I'll look into that model, thank you. I checked the alezka site but they seem to only have a limited range of Eurocom laptops at the moment.

Thanks. I did a bit of research with that tool and as a result I am changing my parameters a bit.

I am willing to consider 17.3" laptops if they stay under 7lbs. Right now one that sort of has my eye (but is a bit expensive) is the Gigabyte Aorus X7 v7. But I am still including 15.6" as candidates as well.

6. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you're looking for maximum CPU power, the thin-and-light gamers aren't your fit. They may boast high gaming performance but they often throttle and sacrifice CPU power to do it. Not to mention all BGA CPUs are pretty gimped by nature. The way to go is the desktop CPUs, which basically leaves that 15.6" Clevo I mentioned and another desktop-compatible 17.3" Clevo available on that same website.
    If you do want to go the BGA route, MSI and Dell have workstations with 7920HQs, 7820HKs, and 7820HQs. They won't be as good as the desktop chips, but they will do the job, be more portable, and have better battery life.

EDIT: Whoops, hold on, I completely forgot that you can get some laptops with AMD Ryzen CPUs as well. Check out the Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  7. likebutta

likebutta Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, after much deliberation with @Donald@HIDevolution and changing some of my specification constraints, I finally settled on the Custom Built MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider-075 15.6" w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 as appears in my signature. Order has been placed and now it's just the waiting game. Thanks again to @Donald@HIDevolution for making my experience an informed and pleasant one. The only thing I will need to do in the future is upgrade the RAM but 16GB should keep me going for now.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.