School/game laptop-$700

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Jollyroger12, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Jollyroger12

Jollyroger12 Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget? $700

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Open to all
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Very much

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? On-line school, entertainment, streaming and gaming. I work overseas, so my laptop is my sole form of entertainment aside from my playstation. I use a headset, so speakers aren't important.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? It will see airports, but usually stay at the desk.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? Yes. Steam. All of the Age of Empires. Dawn of Wars. Mainly the older ones. Don't know what else. I play all the first person stuff on PS4, so mainly strategy type/builder games.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? doesn't matter

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Looking at Linux, but will prolly just use windows 10 or 7.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1080

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I like glossy, but matte is fine
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? no, just function

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? at least 500gb

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? now

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 2-4 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? I'd be pretty screwed.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? i can ship it

ASUS TUF FX504GD-ES51 15.6" FHD GeForce GTX 1050 Quad Core Intel i5-8300H 8 GB Memory (2666 MHz) 1 TB SSHD Windows 10 Home Gaming Laptop

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8X578U1913-$700

Acer AN515-51-55WL 15.6" IPS Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7300HQ (2.50 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAEYJ6PP6601-$750
    Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 1TB + 8GB Hybrid Hard Drive - Black Laptop Notebook PC Gaming Computer I7567-5000BLK-PUS

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

For your budget and needs, these are all the laptops that I found to match your criteria: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

I think the 940MX might work for you, but you will be at the very lower limit and your gaming experience will be pretty bad. I would suggest you get either an MX150 or above.
    I don't think you need a GTX 1050Ti, but a GTX 1050 should work really well for your needs.

From the laptops you mentioned
    - the Dell 7570 is underpowered for your needs.
    - the Asus FX504GD has a pretty terrible TN display and it throttles.
    - The Acer Aspire Nitro 5 with the older 7300HQ is actually a decent laptop as long as you thermal mod it (you need to reapply the thermal paste on both processor and video card), do not get the new one with the 8300H.
    - Dell 7567 is one of the best laptops out there for your budget, the screen is not very good, but apart from that, I recommend this laptop.

I think your best option is the Dell 7567 or the Nitro with better thermal paste.

The life expectancy of laptops in this price range is around 3 years. The important thing for your laptop to last long is to get one which doesn't heat up too much (the processor and graphics card must remain under 85C).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  3. Jollyroger12

Jollyroger12 Newbie

Reputations:
    I found the Dell 7567 for $659 on Amazon so I went with that one. What do you think the best upgrade at first should be? I've read everyone does an SSD and more RAM. Have you used any Crucial products before? I was looking at a drive through them.

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Excellent choice to go with the 7567. In my experience, RAM doesn't matter that much unless you plan to overclock it or play around with its timings, which I assume you are not going to do.
    For SSDs, it's hard to say, I generally use only Samsung or Intel because I prefer reliability over everything else. I have SSDs before fail on me and unless you have backups, you generally lose everything.