Scam? Confused because there seems to be no means of attack

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by masterchef341, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    the email was apparently sent from orders@digitalglobeservices.com, which seems to be legitimate - but perhaps I'm wrong, or that could have been spoofed? I'm not sure how the potential scammer would have intended to make contact if this is the case? The email address doesn't have any greeting or mention any of my personal information, as you can see.

Body of the email:

If you chose a Self-Installation, please follow the instructions on your Self-Install Kit. If you chose a Professional Installation, please call 1-888-823-4281 to schedule your installation.

Your order confirmation number is : [order number is here]

You ordered:

Digital Starter TV & Performance Internet - $74.99 Monthly

How do I get my Gift Cards?

Step 1: Schedule and complete the installation of your new Comcast services.

Step 2: Mail a complete copy the first bill that includes the new services along with a completed Rebate Form to:

REDEMPTION CENTER
    Attn:Comcast Rewards
    P.O. Box 786
    Castle Rock, CO 80104

Step 3: We will verify your first monthly bill and current account status. Upon confirmation that the new services were installed, you will be mailed a Gift Selection Card.

Step 4: Simply choose which type of Gift Card you would like and mail it back to us. You will receive the Gift Card of your choice within 8 weeks.

NOTE: This is an automated e-mail. Please do not reply to this email address. This mailbox is not monitored.

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well, call your ISP and ask them about it, they should know. It is supposed to come from them right?

3. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    That's exactly what I would do. :)

Typically non reply emails are very vague. Did you place an order with Comcast recently?

4. redrazor11

redrazor11 Formerly waterwizard11

Reputations:
    Here's a scenario:

Someone legitimately ordered the service, but accidentally put in the wrong email (yours). The service did not send a verification/confirmation email code...it just let the order through.

Now this person will be expecting service and an email, but won't have any sort of documentation, since it won't be sending to their email.

5. ray4jc

ray4jc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not sure this is the spam or misdirected mail but I often get true SPAM that is just random text, no links or anything.

I assume they would want a reply to the email perhaps? Dunno really.

6. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Holy cow, cable is expensive...

7. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Shoot, our Comcast bill was set to go up to $150/mo from $105/mo (including internet) until we cut cable and went just with internet and a OTA HD TV Tuner. Now we're just paying $44/mo for internet. We had Hulu and Netflix before and after the cut so those are a little extra.

Cable = overpriced crappy shows consisting of 40 minutes of programming and 20 minutes of advertisement per hour, with 90% of shows no one cares for.

8. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's rediculous. I'm glad I'm not a subscriber. I'm happy with just my basic dsl, and my huge collection of dvds. :p

9. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Cable is a huge rip so I don't subscribe. If my landlord allowed Dish Network i'd go with that. Instead I use the internet for cable access. :)

10. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well I guess the OP's question has been answered. Yes, it is a scam. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.