Saying Bye to My Dual 1080 Hairdryer... Best High End Portable and Quiet Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by farris, Jan 8, 2020.

1. farris

farris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I bought a top of the line Desktop Replacment XMG/Sager a few years ago and while it has been powerful and reliable it is way to loud and carrying it around with its dual power bricks etc is just too much headache. My laptop bag must weight around 25lbs or more with accessories.

Simply put, I am looking to shift more away from a top of the line desktop replacement to a top of the line machine that achieves the right balance of Gaming capability/Noise/Portability (in that order of importance). My initial research indicates the gap between portable laptops and desktop replacements has closed in recent years.

I am not in a rush and am happy to wait for the next release of GPUs etc in 2020, if that is wise. I am also prepared to pull the trigger right away.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Up to approx $4k USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

Anything over 14" is great, even 17" is ok. Weight and Noise are the biggest factors, with max gaming capability. I am asking a lot I know.

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    London, UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Not in love with any specific make
    b. Dislike: I only dislike laptops from less reliable manufacturers
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Work (Excel, Email, Etc) and Gaming (COD and many of the latest and greatest titles)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Travelling with it and connecting to external monitor when at home.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, COD and latest titles

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not a major concern

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080P is ok for the laptop as long aw it can output to 4K or better for my external monitor

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I like both.

Build Quality and Design
    14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes, but this isn't a big deal. I prefer something that looks a bit understated.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1TB minimum

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Anytime in 2020

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    2 to 3 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    2 to 3 weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Yes

Thank you all for the help!

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Razer Blade 15 Advanced is one consideration. It's about as thin and portable as you're going to get with a 15.6-inch screen, and gets great battery life. The fans are noticeable but not loud, by my definition. I have used the laptop you have now.

For 14", MSI and Razer have offerings with GTX 1650 GPUs but they are pretty weak and you won't be able to max out the settings in most new games.

Since you're willing to wait, consider that CES 2020 is going on right now. See what new laptops come out of it. It might take a little while for reviews of those models to appear.

Charles

farris likes this.
  3. farris

Reputations:
    Thanks Charles, I like the look of the taser products.

I will keep my eyes peeled for anything new announced at CES and don’t mind waiting for them.

playing the latest games on max settings is something I would like to achieve as I intend to connect it to a good monitor when gaming at home.

Forgive what might be a silly question but do you know roughly how long one can enjoy games on the Razer while on battery power? My current laptop I don’t think could handle more than 30min or so.

Any idea when the next GPUs are to be announced?

Thank you again mate

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  4. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I'm unsure when new GPUs are coming out, but if they don't come out at CES, then it'll probably be at Computex in June. So you'll likely have a while to wait.

Charles

farris likes this.
  5. farris

Reputations:
    Having reviewed the latest laptops from CES, the Blade 15 with the 2080m looks like the front runner. I am tempted to wait for the 2080m replacement if it only means waiting till June/July.

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I think it's optimistic to expect new notebook GPUs by then, as it's not clear when even new desktop GPUs are going to come out.

The way I look at it, you're looking at another 6+ months of lugging around your current setup. Getting the Razer Blade 15 now would negate that.

Charles

7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Razer Blade Pro 240Hz RTX 2080 Max Q with liquid metal and undervolting should keep you pretty happy.

8. farris

Reputations:
    Thanks guys!

My only concern is that the 2080 Max Q doesn’t seem to be able to push the latest titles on ultra at 1440 with high frame rates, which is a bummer. I was wanting this laptop to also be used when at home for gaming and at home I want to achieve at least 140FPS at 1440 on ultra settings.

Is there any idea what the next gen of cards will likely deliver in terms of performance boost?

I would prefer to pull the trigger now but this laptop needs to last me a minimum of 2 years, ideally 3 and if already struggling with frame rates that is a concern.

Thank you for the help!

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You're not going to achieve 140FPS at 1440 on ultra settings with any laptop out now. I think you're setting unrealistic goals for yourself if you think you're going to get better performance when moving from a true dedicated gaming laptop to an ultrabook with good specs. They are totally different beasts, I think of my Aero 15 OLED as a great portable laptop that happens to be able to game. The next gen GPUs should have quite a bit more performance, but no one knows for sure or even when they will be out, my guess is September, but that's a total guess.