Saving £££ in the UK buying ANY Dell/AW system OR accessories - please contribute!

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by steviejones133, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rheeley

rheeley Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Doesnt outlet normally update at 2:15pm? Been sat refreshing it since about 1pm and nothing new at all. Odd for a weekday?

2. joleara

joleara Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    there is only that 1 overpriced m18 available at the moment

3. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you are referring to this one, at £1725 exc vat and delivery for THAT spec, I dunno HOW you can say its overpriced, given the spec of 2960xm and 580m sli.

Actually, I returned a rig not long ago with that EXACT spec....its probably the one I sent back.

That deal is a cracker.....if I didnt have one already, I would bag that baby right away if you are in the market for a powerhouse at a massive saving over list price. You cant POSSIBLY think you are gonna get a M18x with those components for less than £2070...(list price would be £3,380)...if you do, your nuts !:rolleyes:

4. lovethai

lovethai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    stevie is right, i got same spec but with double radeon 6990 xfire cards and 2x 320gb hdds for 2k last week and it was a steal. remember you are getting the fastest mobile processor on the planet and 2 fastest mobile graphics too.

5. joleara

joleara Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yes but is that level needed ?

i was gonna be able to get 2670, 4gb,750, gt580, full 3d for 1230

6. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The phrases you're looking for are "banf for buck" and "perceived value".

I dont reckon you need something that powerful! But it does seem like cracking discount!

then again, i wouldn't drop 2k on a computer!

7. joleara

joleara Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    evil how u finding ur m14 man originally i was always looking for the m17 but if i can get something like urs for 700 rather than 1200 i may be interested.

8. steviejones133

Reputations:
    Looks like someone snapped up that M18x anyway.....that really was a cracking deal for a maxed out system. I guess it all depends on what you want to use a system for....if its purely gaming, the XM cpu could be considered as overkill but on the otherhand, the higher spec you get at time of purchase will prolong the "life" of your system. Dual 580's and a 2960xm will still be able to crank out performance on tomorrows games, moreso than a single gpu setup and an entry level cpu.

Basically, you get what you pay for at the end of the day. When I bought mine, I wanted to ensure that it would be as "future-proofed" as possible, in terms of being able to play games that will be released in the future.....as I dont want to change it in 12-18mths time, it was wiser for me to get more power NOW than maybe being forced to look at upgrading before I would want to.

There is also no such thing in the computer world as "too much power" LOL :D

9. joleara

joleara Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    stevie why did you trade yours back to dell ?

10. steviejones133

Reputations:
    It had issues with turning itself on as soon as I flicked the switch for juice at the wall....alienfx lights would come on and when I shut it off, system fans would come on until the power was turned off at the wall. Must have been some kind of short on the mobo but I was able to return it and get a new build instead of a repair. If it was my old rig on the outlet, it would have been refurb'd to remedy those problems I imagine.