Samsung to reduce production of Laptop PCs (Ativ Books) by 2015

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by oled, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Look at the notebooks on Samsung UK's website. Almost all are models released over one year ago which are now hard to purchase because they are no longer available. There are a couple of newer notebooks (NP870Z5G and NP900X3G) that are not on the Samsung website but are available to buy if you search hard enough although supplies appear to be limited. Two UK versions of the NP930X5J have been listed in the SW Update database for about 3 months but is nowhere to be seen.

I can understand them discontinuing production of the notebooks at the bottom end of the market but I can't figure out why supplies of the few models that are still in production are so limited. It's almost as if there is deliberate constraining of supplies and lack of marketing with the objective of demonstrating that the quantities sold are insufficient to justify continuing production. Which is a shame given that Samsung could just retrench to what it originally did 5 or so years ago: Produce a much lower volume of premium notebooks.

It's crossed my mind more than once that Samsung have signed up a big contract to produce something for that fruity named company. If so, there could be two consequences (i) the other product gets priority in the factory and (ii) Samsung scales back on the selling of competing products.

John

2. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Possibly make a higher resolution air? There is some logic to this being that the book 9 was the only machine that actually was better then the air. When you feel the sandblasted surface of the 9's dura aluminum surface it looked and felt superior to the rough edges of the air's more raw aluminum approach. When you look at close up high resolution pictures of the air you will see many imperfections and generally see a raw looking surface. The 9's tolerances where in the thousands of a mm I have read. Even when you look at extreme blow ups of the side edges of a book 9 you will be hard pressed to see anything out of alignment and the tapered edges look as perfect close up as they do from a distance. In short, the 9's tolerances and BQ are unmatched for any device I have ever see. Not only better then the air but destroys it. Its unfortunate that more people were not aware of such a machine. I feel Samsung built the 9 to show Apple it could not only build a similar device but also take it another level up. But in the end, it failed because of the low volumns that were produced. I'm sure that it may have never been able to achieve high volumes because of the high BQ and specifications that it demanded. Another way to look at it is the air is something that is mass produced and the Book 9 is something like Mercedes was in the 1960's when they were still hand built and lacquer paint was still used on the finish.

3. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    The Book 9+ initially suffered from software issues partly caused by support for the high dpi and partly from Samsung's software side not matching the hardware. Prices have come down from the initial release but the momentum has been lost.

The NP930X5J / NP940X5J is unbeatable in terms of weight vs screen size for those who can live happily with Intel graphics but Samsung don't seem to be trying to sell it. The previous NP900X4C is also a unique package in terms of size and weight. With hindsight, even if Samsung had given it a PLS display it may have remained a secret if they didn't do some serious marketing.

John

4. Unit Igor

Unit Igor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So ,i bought smartphone for the first time,LG G2. And you know what was my conclusion.Windows sucks and everything about it.If somebody can make me 13,3 inch notebook with nothing more then phone hardware and one big battery inside it i would never look again Intel CPU or Windows OS.I would give without thinking 2000€ for that kind of device.
    I charge this phone in Monday and use it till Friday.If i dont use that battery icon stands on 100% for 7 days.Show me one Windows device that can do that.I definitely don't blame people that buying Android device.
    There is no room for Intel and Windows in mobile market device,not with this power hungry solutions.
    So if somebody from Samsung reading this.Please Samsung we need Series 9 with Android and phone hardware.
    This is just one of 100 of reason why Samsung is moving out from Windows market.
    People just dont want to be plug into power every 5 hours.

5. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apples and oranges really. Comparing ARM to an i5/i7 is like comparing a two-stroke to a V8, completely different uses. And if you only use a notebook for an hour or so a day you can squeeze out 5 days as well. Windows Phone and RT run on ARM with similar battery life so it's not really a software issue. While I agree a majority of home users are transitioning from laptops to tablets and phablets, there is still a demand for laptops at least in business. If you want an Android laptop, get a chromebook and you will quickly realize how limited its functionality is (try adding a printer). Computing trends may be changing but it's gonna to be a long time before I can get all my work done on a pared-down OS or the cloud and most of the time I'm not away from an outlet for hours on end. Samsung may want to stick with phones because people on contracts tend to upgrade them every 2 years, but their last earnings report suggests that even the phone market has become saturated.

6. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the poster was referring to a hybrid that runs Android OS not chrome OS. Samsung did make such a device and MS and Google ganged up on Samsung and said no way we will allow it. The poster also wanted Android phone hardware which is a stretch. But the android/W8 machine did exist in prototype and IMO would have been more useful then the modern interface. Many people showed interest for such a device and its unfortunate it will never see the light of day. Its ironic that the new surface pro 3 would make a great W8/Android hybrid with its small and lightweight form factor.

7. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    That might have been the Samsung XE900T1A which is sitting in SW Update's database with drivers prepared around the end of 2012 (that's the newest date in the display color profile package).

While we are temporarily running off-topic I would note that I recently bought an Acer Windows tablet which is surprisingly usable with pricing in the Android tablet range.

John

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    I would like to weigh in with a somewhat contrarian POV. I think the market for what we used to call computing devices and now have definitions based on form factor (laptop, tablet, smartphone) rather than function or even use case makes it confusing at the least and downright misleading for the most part to evaluate the place each kind of device, its functionality, form factor, performance and operating and software platform play in differentiating devices and where and when each is best deployed. As one who owns a powerful smartphone, two powerful tablets - one Android, one iPad - and about 5 laptops I can tell you that - except for the laptops, for which I have a bit of a compulsion to acquire then keep anything that captures my fancy when first released! - I use each and all of these devices at different times for different purposes. Of all of them, I could most easily - and soon will - part with the iPad because its capabilities pretty much overlap those of my Android tablet, but lack the former's flexibility and Wacom stylus. Each device has its place and its use. I'm one of those people who are not only online, but actively using one or more devices for most of the day and much of the night, so this idea of 5 days of use is completely irrelevant to me. Depending upon where I am (home, travel, near AC outlets or not, etc) it's hard to predict whether my phone, tablet or laptop will run out of juice first. Fortunately, I am rarely away from AC power for more than a few hours a day and I always carry a backup battery charger, so this whole concept of getting rid of the Intel/Microsoft platform because you have to plug in too often (I get 6-10 hrs on my various laptops, longer than any device I own except Apples - which will never become my computing mainstays - but essentially all of these mobile devices last the same time on a battery, so that is not a remotely important factor.

Let me cut to the chase. My phone - a Samsung S4 - is great for phone calls (yes, I still make them!), texting, quick email checks and brief responses and quick news checks. Otherwise the screen is way too small to even read well, much less do work on where real estate is needed to make sense of things. My tablet - a Samsung Note 8 - is the single device I would keep if I could only have one, but still I consider it a "companion" device." Companion to what? Sorry for posing such obvious questions: to my computer (i.e., laptop of course)! The smartphone and the tablet are simply thinner, lighter more portable versions of the device by which I run my life: my laptop (s). Android is a great OS and I love to play with apps (I've installed 130, used each about 1.25 times, uninstalled 90% within a month!) and I love the convenience of my tablet, which is actually large enough to read and even write - solely because it has a Wacom stylus built in; if I was restricted to on OSK with my fingers, it would be a consumption-only device. My laptop is the one device that does absolutely everything, with no restriction, with unlimited power (for my needs), ample viewing screen size and superb keyboards to enable me to do something very important in my daily life: writing - not just articles or blog posts, even emails, which consist of more than one or two sentences comprised of abbreviated words! My laptops impose no limitations on my activity whatsoever except their (increasingly shrinking) bulk and the space occupied by opening them up in clamshell form, the only one which enables me to actually accomplish anything. If my laptop was based on Chrome or Android, it would be no better than my tablet or smartphone except that I could see the screen and type to express myself, but the screen is what uses the battery so the OS dumb-down would achieve only that - dumbing down my capabilities. Great, thin, light, full computing OS (Windows or OSX) laptops are so cheap and power-efficient that I can't imagine making any other device the mainstay of my digital life.

As far as Samsung goes, it has it's own reasons - good or bad - for not supporting its Windows computer lines, but I honestly doubt it relates to the inferiority of the OS and silicon platforms they used. When I recently went shopping for a brandy-new state-of-art Windows 8.1 touchscreen crazy high res laptop, I tried - even owned - as many as seven alternatives and in the end, my 9 Plus i7/8GB/256GB was heads and shoulders better than the next 3 best alternatives. It is one of the finest pieces of kit I have ever owned and all that it lacks I could ask for would be a dual digitizer with Wacom stylus. Well, actually that plus I'd rather this be an 11" model, so it would be even a bit more portable, even though it would lose some battery life.

At the end of the day, my opinion is that phones are for calls and texts with occasional email and news checks (social media if that's your thing), tablets are companion devices when carrying or opening a laptop is just not practical, devices for personal consumption of media of all kind - consumption but not creation - and laptops are for, well, doing the world of things that digital age has brought to our lives, with no compromises, no material limitations (obviously when used in-office with docks, mulitple monitors and lots of other great peripherals they're even that much more powerful, and pull thousands of miles away from the toy-like phone/tablet devices that I believe will remain important accessories in our lives but will be seen as "fads" that captivated consumer markets for a couple of years in the first and second decades of the 21st century. In the end, we need keyboards, usable screens, and powerful hardware to do anything useful, anything really interesting in digital life. Frankly, I think the volume of sales of all devices will go the way of PCs in the past two years: declining over time because technology has pretty much hit a wall - not of capacity, which will continue to grow along Moore's law, but of uses for all the additional power. To wit: my 2010 Sony Z laptop is more powerful, has more ports and pretty close to as good a screen as my brand new Ativ Book 9 Plus. I only bought the Samsung because, frankly, it is just such a masterpiece of industrial design and production and, well, I have this thing about laptops :D.

I'm sorry if this was too off-topic. I was responding to the quoted posts that I assumed were on-topic! Anyway, the laptop is dead/Samsung Laptops are dead - long live Samsung laptops!!!!

9. buffpatel

buffpatel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure if anyone would know the answer to this, but is there any news on whether Samsung will update the Ativ Book 9 Plus laptop with the upcoming Broadwell chips? It sounds like most people expect Samsung to leave the laptop business which is a shame because the Series 9/Ative Book 9 Plus laptops are simply the best out there. My current NP900x3c has served me well over the past 2 years and it works perfectly fine, but I'm thinking I'll try to get whatever the last iteration of this laptop will be before Samsung stops making them. I'm just trying to decide when the right time is to buy it. Should I wait for Black Friday? Maybe wait until end of this year? Thanks in advance.

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Laptops will continue to exist for those who need the functionality that cannot be done so conveniently using other hardware formats. However, a combination of shrinking demand and longer working life will reduce the numbers being manufactured. Previously there has also been reliance by the hardware manufacturers on a new version of Windows to stimulate a new wave of upgrading. However, Windows 8 disrupted that trend.

No one here was reported any useful insights on whether Samsung's current low notebook production is because they are phasing out completely or because they are planning a Broadwell family and don't want a large inventory of Haswell inventory that has to be shifted at discounted prices.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.