Samsung Spin 7 keyboard backlight issues

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Kriscat, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Kriscat

Kriscat Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, having an issue with the keyboard here. To my knowledge this is a known issue and i've tried the recommended steps to try and get it back on but none of them seem to work.

Keyboard backlight doesn't turn on back on when I put it to sleep, or shut down and turn back on. This only happens sometimes. Other times it does turn on, and stays on. Drivers are all up to date, tried turning the backlight from dark to bright in samsung settings, all the keyboard does is flash what i set the backlight to, then fades back to being not on. Sometimes during use it comes on then shuts back off, or while the keyboard is on it shuts off during use. I tried speaking to a tech and he said I should have "easy settings" Which i don't. running on windows 10. All I have is samsung update and samsung settings. Most likely it could be a software issue, which can be fixable but i would like to know how.

I have a NP740U5L-YO2US

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would start with this old version of SW Update (unless you already have something newer) and then use the Find Model function to find your notebook. Both Windows 10 and Windows 10 RS1 are listed. Among the drivers is a sensor driver, which might be the cause of your problem. There is also software called "Settings" (it used to be Easy Settings but the name changed for Windows 8 onwards and now gets confused with Windows 10 own Settings).

Windows 10 appears to have a poor appreciation of the finer details of Samsung software and drivers and consequently each Windows 10 update creates the risk of breaking some notebook function.

John

3. nico999

nico999 Newbie

Reputations:
    Was this issue ever resolved? I too have this issue with the exact same laptop: Samsung NP740U5L-YO2US

The difference is that my keyboard backlight never turns on. The weird thing is that the caps lock key and num lock key DO light up when pressed. So I know the lights are there SOMEWHERE.

I'm not sure exactly when this started to happen but I do know it was before Windows 10 update 1709. All my drivers and samsung updates are up to date. Windows is completely up to date. I've tried reinstalling my keyboard driver but that doesn't seem to help. I've reinstalled my Samsung sensor drivers, but no dice. I've tried putting my computer to sleep and waking it up, but nothing changes. I've also tried completely turning off the backlight and putting it back on, but no changes there (the Fn keys work). As a last resort I completely restored my computer back to factory settings and that did not fix the issue. Can it be related to the bios? My bios version is P04AFQ. This is the only thing I haven't tried to revert as I have no idea how to find older bios versions.

I'm at a loss as to what can be wrong. Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it?

4. nico999

nico999 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just to follow up here in case someone else is having this same issue. I was able to repair the keyboard backlights on my laptop by powering down the computer and looking inside the laptop and making sure all the ribbon cables were securely locked in place. It looks like one of them had slipped out. It was a small cable above the battery. I pushed it back in and locked it. Re-assembled the computer, powered up and bam! The backlights were back! Oh, how I had missed those little lights.

5. letui

letui Newbie

Reputations:
    How I could know wich are the cables that I´m looking for?, any guide with images that actually works?

6. celine69

celine69 Newbie

Reputations:

Hello everyone:)

I have the same problem with a Samsung Série 7 Chronos (700Z5A) Windows Update 10:(

I have the key "F12 FN LOCK" which lights up when I activate them but the rest of the keyboard remains off

you found a solution
    ?

thank you in advance

celine