Samsung Series 9 - Windows 8

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by usb7, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I understand. If you ask me, Microsoft should make Win8 ISOs downloadable the same as Win7. And Samsung should provide Win8 install media with new PCs (as they used to do with Win7). If that were the case, we would not have to be so restrictive.

And please don't think we're making it our job here on NBR to enforce or defend Microsoft's policy on this. But as long as Microsoft restricts download of Windows 8, sharing Win8 factory images has to be considered a breach of their copyright. And we cannot put NBR at risk legally by allowing the forum to be used in that process. That's all this is.

Thank you for understanding.

If the Samsung Picks you are looking for is not enabled through the Product Key, then it has to be software of some kind. Microsoft wouldn't let them just replace the Store with their own Samsung version in the factory image. You could use Find Model in SW Update to look up a recent Win8 model (such as NP880Z5E-X03CA) and download some of the Win8 bloatware to see if it is contained in there. I always skip that stuff.

2. [toPh]

[toPh] Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. Dannemand

Reputations:
    I didn't read that article you linked yet, but I would just wait; download a Win 8.1 ISO when it is released, then perform a clean install. Make sure Samsung has issued updated drivers and Settings first, as the current ones are not compatible with 8.1.

4. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone up and running with 8.1 on a Series 9 yet? Tips?

5. [toPh]

[toPh] Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Was just coming to ask the same question, and any word on when Samsung will release updated drivers and settings?

6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    On the subject on Win 8.1, please see the sticky thread we just posted about it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...pgrade-until-samsung-has-updated-drivers.html

Even though there is likely to be some issues unique to individual models (particularly relating to graphics drivers) the basic incompatibilities between Win 8.1 and existing Samsung drivers, Settings and SW Update are common to all Samsung models. We're trying to gather experiences and updates about that instead of having it mushroom across all the individual threads (as is currently happening).

7. belzebutt

belzebutt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I installed it on my NP900X3C. So far everything seems to work, except Shrew VPN (connects but the tunnel doesn't work), but I don't think this is the laptop's fault since it doesn't work on LAN or WiFi.

The ELAN driver that comes with Windows 8.1 doesn't remember its settings after a reboot. I fixed that by re-installing a driver I had lying around, Touchpad_10.7.17.5.zip. That one remembers its settings although it seems to be missing the three finger down swipe down task-switch or the four-finger to desktop. It does have the three finger swipe up to open Explorer though, go figure.

Other than that, keyboard backlight, function keys, screen brightness, airplane mode, Settings, IRST, all seems to work so far.

8. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Restored the W8 image I made back in Jan on my X3B! Downloaded 1GB of updates. Installed. Attempted install of W8.1, 4GB!, second time the charm. Added settings, a few drivers, keyboard functions working. I want to be able to wake from hibernation by opening the lid. Can I do this in W8 native or do I need IRST still? IRST does not want to install on W8...

9. belzebutt

Reputations:
    IRST works fine in W8 and W8.1. You need to make sure you install the IRST partition correctly first, did you do that? Have a look at this thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...el-rapid-start-technology-26.html#post9345230
    Then you can install the latest IRST 3.0 utility you can download from Intel.

Waking up from hibernation by opening the lid is not a function of IRST, it's in the BIOS. Have you by any chance updated to the P06 bios? When I updated to that one it broke the lid wake from hibernation functionality, I had to rollback to the P05 BIOS to have it work again.

10. belzebutt

Reputations:
    Ok, I found something that doesn't seem to work in Windows 8.1, it's Intel WiDi. I grab the latest graphics and WiFi drivers directly from Intel and they install without any issues, but then when I check the device properties they still show the old versions (looks like it's the versions that come with 8.1). Then when I install the latest Windows 8.1-compatible WiDi it says my OS is not compatible. Windows 8.1 does let me try to add a wireless display, but then it complains that my LG TV is not Windows-certified. It worked fine with WiDi before.

I'm curious to see if drivers that come from SW Update in the future fix this issue. I downloaded the latest SW Update and it still doesn't detect my laptop model or find any 8.1 drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.