Samsung Series 9 - Windows 8

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by usb7, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @kayrune: Ahem... yes, that's what I mentioned in my last post :eek:

This Win7 install guide (also linked above) pretty much covers it all step by step -- including WiFi drivers and USB2 vs USB3. You CAN install from USB3, but you must have USB3 drivers handy on an SD card (or on the SSD/HDD) and load them during Setup.

Forget the Samsung web site for drivers, all updates have been through SW Update for a long time now -- and before that Easy Software Manager. But as you found, it updates itself, then finally offers the drivers for your model.

I recommend you install SOME drivers with SW Update, a few drivers manually -- and some not at all. Again, it's covered in that install guide.

2. kayrune

kayrune Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yeah, my bad, installing win7 didn't seem like an option until I found the recovery dvd that I had forgotten. And then I just went for it. I was hoping it would revert my computer to factory default, but unfortunatly it didn't.

The guide is excellent, and ofcourse prepare you for the issues I've encountered :)

3. [toPh]

[toPh] Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has there been any update on this? Anyone got 8.1 working properly?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

4. Dannemand

Reputations:
    If you use Find Model in SW Update to lookup model NP940X3G, you will find a new Settings V2.1.x. From the discussion in this thread it appears to be working with Win 8.1 -- which makes sense, as this is the first Haswell model.

I don't know about other Samsung utilities, but Settings is all you need anyway -- and was the biggest obstacle is using 8.1

Settings v2.1.x does have some differences compared to previous versions, and a few features were taken out, as described here.

5. Carlos07pt

Carlos07pt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!

I buy a Samsung NP900X4C with windows 7 in the begin of this year. And then i installed Windows 8 Pro (Buy it from Microsoft) with swupdate from Samsung to install all the drivers and everything works well.

Can someone tell to me if is possible to access "Samsung Picks" in Windows Store to download the aplications from Samsung? If yes, how can do this?

Thanks in advance

Carlos

6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    My NP700Z3A came with Win7. I used the upgrade offer to buy Win8 Pro from Microsoft, and clean installed it after downloading the ISO that Microsoft provided during the upgrade purchase.

But I am afraid I don't know exactly what the "Samsung Picks" are that you're referring to. I can search for Samsung in the Microsoft Store, and a bunch of apps show up from Samsung and others (see screenshot below). But I have a feeling it is something specific you are looking for; since I never use Metro, maybe there is something here to which I am completely oblivious.

Win Store - Samsung.png

7. Carlos07pt

Reputations:
    Hi!

Samsung Pics is a Samsung Store that lives in the Windows Store. It´s have aplications from Samsung, like S Note, S Camera, S Player and others. Seems to me that those who made a upgrade to system ou installed un pack, loose this and they can't access these applications.

I think the solution is to return the laptop to factory settings if you, and i have the windows 8 Pro OEM. But my laptop come with windows 7 and the Windows 8 PRo comes from Microsoft and is no OEM.

Conclusion, when works you see a word Samsung Pics in Windows Store

Best regards

Merged bump:

Anyone know how i can configure my laptop that came with Windows 7 Pro manufactures, and configure again with Windows 8 Pro as if it came from the factory without having the image of this system from Samsung? I have a license of Windows 8 Pro, but that came from Microsoft and not from Samsung.

Thanks in advance!!!

8. Carlos07pt

Reputations:
    I need a factory image with all partitions, with Windows 8 PRO (OEM) and for one disk with 256GB SSD (Samsung NP900X4C), preferably made ​​by Clonezilla.

Its more or less, 40 GBytes. Anyone can provide?

Thanks!!!

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    We get requests like this frequently, and we simply cannot permit them on the forum: You are asking other members to share a copy of their Win8 source, something that our forum rules strictly forbid. Specifically, it says:

You will probably say that it shouldn't matter because you have a legal Product Key. But Microsoft does not make Win8 broadly available for download (as they do Win7). So it doesn't matter what you or I think about that policy, NBR cannot be a party in facilitating members bypassing it.

Besides, such a Clonezilla image very likely would not work on your PC. Even if you were able to restore it and preserve F4 (which you may or may not -- and I realize that is why you ask for a full disk image, not just the recovery partition) it is doubtful that SRS6 will run and restore the Win8 image correctly on your model: It is designed for SecureBoot/UEFI/GPT installation, which your PC doesn't have (you have a much more limited UEFI implementation).

Your best chance would be to borrow a bootable factory image backup on a USB stick from someone. Or get a Clonezilla image of such a USB stick. That would still require that you restore in UEFI mode (and it would re-partition your drive as GPT) which may or may not work on your machine.

Many members here would love to do a clean install of Win8 instead of using the factory image, but they cannot do so, because they don't have Win8 install media (other than their Recovery backup). You have clean Win8 install media and (as I understand) a functioning clean install.

If your primary goal with this is to get those Samsung Picks Metro apps, I would contact Samsung about that. They must have added these to Win8's Store somehow, and I imagine you should be able to add them as well. You can refer to the fact that your model is officially supported for WIn8 upgrade, according to this Samsung web page.

But please, do not discuss downloads or requests for software copies on the forum.

John Ratsey likes this.
  10. Carlos07pt

Reputations:
    I'm sorry but my ideia is to test, to obtain the Samsung Picks because i have no answers, from Microsoft, from Samsung and i don´t known how to do. I have a legal Product key and my intention is not illegal activities.

Many people in Internet has this problem, from Samsung, Lenovo and not exists solutions.

I thinks that the original system from provider (OEM) has something that possible aprove me to enter in Windows Store and see and download the Samsung Picks. Is not the legal product key that i have, i think.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.