Samsung Series 9 - Windows 8

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by usb7, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thank you for the update.

Based on my own experience (and that of others too) I absolutely would NOT expect Win8.1 to solve your problems. If anything you will lose even more features until we get an updated Settings from Samsung that is compatible with 8.1. See earlier in this thread (and elsewhere) for details.

If you do a new install of Win8, I would keep UEFI disabled: It's how your laptop was originally delivered (and most thoroughly tested by Samsung); it's generally simpler and has less potential for problems or complications; and my personal experience with clean install of Win8 in BIOS/MBR mode (UEFI disabled) on my NP700Z3A has worked flawlessly, including Fn-keys and Settings.

If you want to go back to Win7, just find the Product Key under the bottom cover or on your power adapter, download an ISO matching your Win7 key from Digital River (see link below), burn the ISO to a DVD, then follow this Win7 install guide -- which includes drivers and Easy Settings.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

I remain puzzled why those Fn-keys are not working despite all your efforts. Whatever you choose, I really hope you get it working this time. Please keep us posted.

2. aamsel

aamsel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

That is odd...I agree that I have not seen any problems with settings/function keys and Windows 8.

However, lots of them with the 8.1 Preview/Upgrade.
    My understanding is that Microsoft is aware of issues with function keys and 8.1 Preview on Samsung and other manufacturer's laptops,
    so, it could be that we will see a fix in the form of a Windows Update, rather than a new Settings utility from Samsung - we shall see.

Meanwhile, has anyone tried to do a clean install of 8.1 Preview from the .ISO, instead of doing an upgrade from 8?
    If so, was everything broken just the same?

3. kayrune

kayrune Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your suggestions and help, this is just my luck though. My laptop came with the straight power-plug, so ofcourse it got bent and broken, it's in the garbage.

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    How old is it? I thought the Samsung adapters changed to the L-shaped plug over a year ago.

Anyway, salvation is at hand. See my post here for a reasonably priced 3rd party PSU with an L-shaped plug.

John

5. kayrune

Reputations:
    I think I got one of the first X3C in Norway, more than a year ago. First I ordered a "replacement" through amazon, but that went all wrong. So I got the original samsung, and lucky I got the L-shape, even though the picture on the box was of a straight.

I knew as soon as I unpacked the original straight that this would go wrong, I think it lasted 7-8 months though, I have no idea how it got bent, when I try to straight it again it just broke.

My only hope now is I think I took a picture of the power adapter to know the stats, maybe I can read the windows key.

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Oops! I misread your previous post. :( I think I remember the issue of the broken PSU plug.

Did you delete the recovery partition on the SSD? If not, the factory installation of Windows 7 is pre-activated and you can reload it by pressing F4 at the BIOS screen. Or did you receive a system recovery disc with the computer? My UK X3B and X4C both came with these. IIRC the Windows is pre-activated to install on a Samsung computer.

You could also try running one of the keyfinder programs in case it is backed up somewhere on the SSD.

Otherwise you could explain your problem to Samsung support and see if they can supply you with a system recovery media disc (if my theory about pre-activation is correct).

John

7. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe that's right.

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Actually, while restoring the factory installation should not require new activation (or entering a Product Key) you WILL have to enter a Product Key after a clean Win7 install. I am 99% certain that that is true EVEN if you use the Win7 Recovery Media included with previous models, since those discs are merely Win7 OEM DVDs.

If you lost the original Product Key, you should try to either extract it from the current Windows installation (try Googling extract windows 7 product key registry) or from the BIOS, as John posted (check this post).

9. kayrune

Reputations:
    Thanks guys, my computer came with a recovery dvd I had forgotten. I guess I will go back to win7, dont think there is anything I will miss from win8.

10. kayrune

Reputations:
    Just a heads up, the recovery CD is not at all what I would assume from a recovery CD. It installs a clean install of windows7, no samsung drivers, no software. WiFi is not working. 100% clean windows. (some might see this as a good thing, but the missing wifi was somewhat pain)

Also don't make the misstake I did and try to install from the USB3 port, it stops working halfway through the install and install fail prompting for drivers.

Samsung site is ofcourse listing just old stuff, I download and install easy software manager, upon start it tells me it's a old version and want to upgrade. It upgrades to SW update, and then starting SW update, it complain it's an old version and needs to upgrade :D On webiste it lists SW update as win8 software :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.