Samsung Series 9 - Windows 8

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by usb7, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aamsel

aamsel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks again, and yes, you are right:
    That is as confusing as all hell!

2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's easy enough once you've done it. But it defies all logic as far as support goes :D

3. damouk

damouk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can confirm that these behaviours are identical on the latest Chronos 7 (NP780Z5E S01UK) also. It's a shame, because Windows 8.1 looks much nicer and feels better to use - just need to have better configured 8.1 drivers & settings apps.

4. joewandy

joewandy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I hope someone could help me here. I'm running Windows 8 64-bit on a Samsung NPC550P5C laptop. So, I was following the low latency guide posted earlier, but if I install Settings (not Easy Settings), the fn-keys that control the brightness (fn-F2 and F3) do not work. Nothing happens when they are pressed. I've used SW Update to update to the latest display drivers, I've also tried to refresh the windows 8 installation. But no matter what, the brightness fn keys just do nothing.

Alternatively, I was hoping if I tried Easy Settings, the brightness fn keys might work, but it can't even be installed. So, I followed the direction in above post to extract Easy Settings v2 installation file. However, when running the SetupW file, the installation would always terminate halfway with the following error message:

Capture.PNG

So now I'm stuck with using Settings and having the fn brightness keys not working, which is a minor annoyance. Anybody knows what to do ?

Edit: not sure if this applies to everybody but it seems that with the error message here, we can no longer install Easy Settings on Windows 8 ? In any case, it's probably better to use Settings since it's designed for Windows 8.

5. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Hi joewandy,

I took the liberty of moving your post from the latencies thread and merge it with the one you posted here. You're basically asking the same question in two different threads, and this is a better place to answer it.

(BTW, please do not crosspost in the future, as it is a violation of our forum rules and is generally considered bad forum etiquette.)

I can see from your previous posts that you had the same problem in April and was able to solve it by re-installing Win8. Did brightness control then continue working until recently?

If you had it working before, but then it stopped, my best bet is that you re-installed or updated Settings which broke it. Every time you install Settings, it will overwrite and re-enable Adaptive Brightness in the Windows power profile. And as you can read in a thousand posts here, Adaptive Brightness prevents proper manual brightness control -- and has proven stubbornly hard to disable on some Samsung models.

There used to be no less than FOUR different places that Adaptive Brightness has to be disabled in Win8. And with the most recent versions of Settings, there is actually a FIFTH:

- Settings (version 2.0.0.49 and higher)

- Charms - Settings - Change PC Settings - General - Screen - Adjust brightness automatically

- Windows Power Profile Advanced settings: Display - Enable adaptive brightness

- Intel HD4000 graphics control panel

- UEFI firmware settings (see here). You get to this by using Charms - Settings - Change PC Settings - General - Advanced Startup.

Not all models have all these settings. But check all that you have and make sure Adaptive Brightness is disabled.

But before you do that, I want you to thoroughly and properly re-install Settings -- and get rid of Easy Settings, which wasn't designed for Win8. I suggest you completely uninstall any Settings and/or East Settings you may have, using the Programs and Features control panel; then reboot. Now install Settings 2.0.0.55 (see here how to find it) and reboot.

Now disable Adaptive Brightness in all those places listed above, starting with Settings -- and see if that allows you to control brightness manually.

Note that you want to update Advanced settings for all the power profiles you use, which typically includes Samsung Optimized and Power Saver (used in Silent Mode). Some users also use the good old Balanced and High Performance profiles.

Let us know how this works for you :)

6. joewandy

joewandy Newbie

Reputations:
    My apology for cross-posting in the different threads, I'll be more mindful of the forum rules in the future.

I'm glad to report that following the instruction above: 1) completely getting rid of both Settings and Easy Settings, and 2) installing Settings. Had to hunt for version 2.0.0.49 since SW Update will install the older Settings 2.0.0.30 version by default on my Series 5 notebook, and lastly 3) disabling all the adaptive brightness everywhere ... my brightness fn-keys now work !

For those who might encounter similar problem in the future, I guess those 3 points above are all that need to be checked. Many thanks for all the help ! :D

7. Dannemand

Reputations:
    That's great, well done. And thanks a lot for the update and feedback. I am sure it will help other members as well.

8. kayrune

kayrune Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The missing brightness control is driving me crazy, before I started basically it wasn't working at all, couldn't even adjust manually via power options. I've done the steps.

Done, uninstalled, rebooted, installed v55, rebooted.

Done, disabled.
    Done, disabled on all profiles
    CANNOT FIND ANY OPTIONS
    I guess this is only for UEFI, I don't have that.

I've also disabled the sensor monitoring service, as suggested elsewhere as a way off turning off adaptive brightness. Still FN keys 2/3 are dead, all else work. But hey, at least I can change setting via the gui now.

Any more suggestings for the FN keys ?

On my first install where I went from win7->win8 it was working, but then I repartition and reinstall and update/install with SW update and it has never worked since.

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Hi kayrune, sorry it took a while to get back to you.

I agree this sounds puzzling. If you say that now you can adjust brightness through the GUI, at least we know it's working, and Adaptive Brightness isn't preventing adjustment. The fact that the Fn keys don't work points back to Settings. Personally I would try to re-install Settings one more time -- although I can understand if you don't want to risk jeopardizing what you have now.

Did you have Easy Settings installed in this Win8 installation at any point? If so, you need to get rid of it. Unfortunately it is quite difficult to remove all remnants of Easy Settings if some have been left behind. Check the thread linked below for some advice:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/715980-help-how-remove-easy-settings-np550p5c.html

Once Easy Settings is gone (if it was ever there) uninstall Settings one more time and reboot. BEFORE you re-install, make sure that you can still adjust brightness through the Windows controls. Then install 2.0.0.55 again and reboot. After this make sure to disable Adaptive Brightness again, particularly in the power profiles, since Settings overwrites them when it is installed.

Edit: One more thing: I understand that your laptop had Win7 pre-installed and you upgraded to Win8, correct? Did you change the UEFI settings? We've had a couple cases now where members disabled UEFI before re-installing, which lost access to the Adaptive Brightness UEFI firmware setting. But that was on Win8-delivered models. Your shouldn't have that at all if it came with Win7.

Edit 2: Another thing: When you reboot, make sure you Restart, not shutdown and power up (which won't fully reboot in Win8).

10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This may be slightly off the current topic, but I would note that my new X4C that came with Windows 8 pre-installed does not appear to have a full UEFI implementation. The only significant change from my old Win 7 X4C that I can see is that there is a SecureBoot section in the BIOS. Also, the Windows 8 Charms PC Settings does not seem to have the full range of options that I have seen discussed. I'm using the latest (2.0.0.43) Settings that is offered for my computer. And adaptive brightness isn't causing me any headaches.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.