1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Samsung Series 9 - Windows 8

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by usb7, Aug 15, 2012.

1. usb7

usb7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Windows 8.1 Driver Update
    After a clean installation of Windows 8.1, the only drivers I needed to install were:
    • Touchpad Driver_11.7.19.9 (for trackpad gesture support)
    • Settings_2.2.0.15 (for Fn key support e.g. brightness)
    I found these drivers with SW Update under Windows 8.1 drivers for newer Samsung models. Everything else seems to work just fine!

================================================================================================

Original Post
    With Windows 8 RTM released to MSDN today, I thought I would create this thread for people who want to run it on our beautiful ultrabooks.

So I have Windows 8 running pretty well on my 15" (NP900X4C-A01US), here are the drivers I've installed:

Samsung Windows 8 Drivers Installer!
    http://orcaservice.samsungmobile.com/SWUpdate.aspx

Touchpad (Version 10.7.17.5)
    http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...1207/20120714124121110/Touchpad_10.7.17.5.ZIP

Intel HD Graphics 4000
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3498&DwnldID=21180&keyword="4000"eng

Samsung Easy Settings Software (To get Fn keys working)
    http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...7/20120706162201285/Easy_Settings_1.1.1.4.ZIP
    You'll have to rename setup.exe to setup2.exe to install it.

Here's the link to Samsung's official support page for drivers. Windows 8 drivers will be updated here.
    Support - Notebooks NP900X4C | Samsung Laptops

Anyone else install Windows 8 and recommend installing other drivers?

On a finally note, enjoy Windows 8 and go internz2012!

-Frank

duttyend likes this.
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Who's internz2012? I know completely off topic. :)

3. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Why in the world would I install that turd of an OS on my "beautiful ultrabook"?

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I wouldn't put it quite so bluntly but the Windows development cycle during this century runs as: Me > XP > Vista (aka "Me 2") > 7 > 8 (which I suspect will become known as "Me 3"). It's a version where Microsoft put in a lot of new ideas. I haven't seen any "must have" features on the list so I'm envisaging waiting until Windows 9 wherein the worst of the new features will have got buried and the bugs relating to the useful new features fixed.

John

5. dn00

dn00 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why is it a turd of an OS? I'm getting 30 extra minutes of battery life and the metro/tablet interface is replaced by a third party start menu program. It's basically a more efficient windows 7 for me.

6. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Because it is unsuitable for something like 99.9% of current Windows computers in use, which are laptops or desktops. Sure, I can make it usable using third-party add-ons, but somehow I have this quaint idea that when I get an OS, it should be able to perform the fundamental functions properly and efficiently out of the box, without me having to run out and buy stuff to make it usable. Finally, there is no significant difference in "efficiency" between Win7 and Win8. Switch off all visual effects in Win7, and you'll have exactly the same behavior as in Win8. The difference is, in Win7, I have a choice.

7. Chari Aela

Chari Aela Newbie

Reputations:
    While being in danger of completely derailing this thread, have you actually tried the latest releases of Windows 8? Paired with the new Office 2013 preview and the host of new shortcuts built into the operating system, I actually manage to get things done more quickly than I do in Windows 7, and this is on a multi-monitor desktop with just a regular old keyboard and mouse.

Out of curiosity, what shortcomings do you have in mind when you say that Win8 is unable to perform fundamental functions properly?

On topic, to those of you who have installed the Windows 8 RTM on your Samsung Series 9, how are you finding the multitouch gesture support with the regular OEM drivers that are currently available?

8. usb7

usb7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    interz2012 is a community of summer interns that all have this laptop :p

I disagree with almost all of this.

For most of the mouse and keyboard computers out there currently, people will mainly stay in the Windows 8 Desktop, which is like Windows 7 with enhancements. Although, the Modern Side is definitely aimed at the touch capable market, using it with a trackpad or mouse isn't a bad experience.

Windows 8 is more efficient than Windows 7. It has a faster boot time and uses less system resources, there's no denying that.

A lot of the decisions made with Windows 8 help prepare it for the future. Implementing touch (heck OS X barely has any touch support), promoting sandboxed Metro (fine... Windows 8 UI Style) Apps that do not degrade the Windows experience over time, and more all will help Windows in the long run.

Even having the Start Menu removed has scientific and experimental reasons. Read Evolving the Start menu - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs followed by Designing the Start screen - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs. In fact many of the changes in Windows 8 are discussed in detail here by the Windows Engineering team: Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs.

For me the gesture of swiping from the right end brings up the charms bar, swiping from the left end is equivalent to windows-tab, and swiping down from the top brings up menus in metro apps.

9. dblo

dblo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had the same concerns about win8 being too much for touchscreen users and not for regular PCs - until I actually got a hands-on experience on a regular laptop. Basically, the Metro UI comes up instead of your Start Menu, and when it is minimized, you have your regular windows interface. I didn't spend too much time with it, but I can see how the Metro UI can be customized to be more efficient than the Start Menu.

10. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just to clarify, I decided that the particular discussion on the merits or lack thereof of Win8 is off-topic for this thread and this forum, so I will refrain from responding any further here, despite the fact that I disagree with the points the OP brought up above.