Samsung Series 7 - Weird Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Buruan, Nov 7, 2012.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Please confirm that it is showing 8% in the battery calibration in the BIOS (not Windows) when it shuts down. If so, the chip in the battery which stores the voltage-capacity data should be updated to reflect the new empty point. Windows prevents a full draining of the battery which is good for general battery health but prevents the recalibration.

John

2. fun2sh

fun2sh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi John,
    Thats correct its in the battery calibration in the bios. How do do what you mentioned?
    "voltage-capacity data should be updated to reflect the new empty point"
    I was thinking of opening it and take out the battery for few days so that it can drain to empty.

3. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    You can try, but I don't think it will help. The battery self-discharges very slowly.

John

4. stevexyz

stevexyz Newbie

Reputations:
    mine is series7 700Z3C, same problem. charging on and off randomly when laptop is on. but steadily charging when laptop is off or sleep. definitely the power adapter's fault.

i had the charger exchanged couple years ago for the same problem when it was still under warranty. but the problem came back again a few months ago. i tried other solutions like wiggling the charge port, even re-soldering the port legs. but still didn't solve the problem. i concluded that it must be the power adapter at fault. since it's charging fine when laptop is off but randomly on and off when it's on, it must be the power supply cannot keep up when it's under load.

but two factory charger already failed, i wouldn't trust samsung's charger anymore. aftermarket ones from ebay probably even worse. so i modified an old dell 90w charger (by swapping the plug from the original charger) and use it instead. and problem solved. now it's steadily charging even under heavy load.

5. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I've had a couple of the Samsung 40W PSUs (as used for the Series 9 notebooks) die so maybe they haven't engineered in as much longevity as Dell (or more likely the PSU suppliers such as Liteon and Delta). However, remember that the PSUs are first in line to receive any spikes and surges coming through the power system so this can be one cause of premature death. However, erratic performance is more likely due to component degradation.

John

6. stevexyz

stevexyz Newbie

Reputations:
    the dell charger is bigger and heavier than the samsung original charger. you can tell that the dell charger is much better built by just looking them. from my personal experience, 5 dell, 2 hp, 3 toshiba, and 1 asus, all lived longer than the samsung, but none had a charger failure ever. so i would say samsung charger is the worst of all. but the upside of the samsung is that you carry a little less weight when traveling with your laptop:)

7. tm1900

tm1900 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had this frustrating issue for a while now...The power jack was replaced by a local repair shop last December and the charging worked fine for a few months then I started having issues again (charges on/off, only can do sometimes in sleep mode, etc). I have also purchased the more powerful 120W adapter, nothing really helped. I'm going to call Samsung authorized repair center next week, though I'm cautiously optimistic - as I'm not too crazy about sending it in for 2 weeks (based on others' experience). It is a shame, as otherwise it is a great laptop.

8. jp3

jp3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but out of EVERYWHERE I could find on the web, this thread seems to be the go-to place for strange battery/charging problems on the 700z models. I have some to add, and some new questions as well.

I'll spare you the details of my struggles, but here's the quick rundown:

1.) Zero battery charging at all. Doesn't matter if I leave it off and plugged in, or on. It never charges.
    2.) Charging light goes to orange as if it was charging, but after hours or days (no real pattern), begins alternating orange/green to indicate a charging problem.
    3.) Windows (BatteryCat program) and Ubunutu both show a really low charge voltage (about 8v) with 0 watts, and zero rate of charge, even though it reports the battery is good, present and chargeable. Here's the specs as reported fro Ubuntu:
    Code:
    Device - battery_BAT1
    Type - Laptop battery
    Vendor - SAMSUNG Electronics
    Supply - Yes
    Refreshed - 7 seconds
    Present - Yes
    Rechargeable - Yes
    State - Charging
    Energy - 0.0 Wh
    Energy when empty - 0.0 Wh
    Energy when full - 71.0 Wh
    Energy (design) - 80.2 Wh
    Rate - 0.0 W
    Voltage - 8.0 V
    Time to full - 0 seconds
    Time to empty - 0 seconds
    Percentage - 0.0%
    Capacity - 88.6%
    Technology - Lithium Ion

What has been tried/tested:

1.) Plugged power adapter into various wall outlets, an UPS, and even a power conditioner.
    2.) Two power adapters have been tried, one a generic 90w replacement, the other a modified Dell 120w adapter as mentioned previously in this thread.
    3.) Two different batteries have been tried, the original one (registers as 88% usable), and one new-old-stock (registers as 98% usable), both genuine Samsung.
    4.) The power jack on the mo-bo appears to in excellent condition, both physically, and the solder points. Multimeter shows 19.6v at one terminal, ground at the other two, plus ground for the 4 jack outer case mounts.
    5.) Multimeter readings for the battery connector - The 4 red wires all test at 16.5v, a single blue wire tests at 3.3v, and 4 black wires test as ground.
    6.) Voltage reading for the power jack and the battery connections remain consistent when powered off, and when powered on and under load (no voltage drop). Readings are also nearly identical between the 90w and 120w power adapter.
    7.) BIOS is the latest release.

I'm to the point where I'm leaning toward a bad motherboard, specifically the charging circuit. What the motherboard reports (8V) is NOT what's actually going on (16.5V).

Other than trying a genuine Samsung power adapter as a last resort, it seems the motherboard is the most likely culprit.

Before I spend the money on trying a different motherboard, is there ANYTHING else I can try? Is anyone willing to probe their laptop with a multimeter while its' running to confirm the same voltage readings on a properly working model?

9. al123

al123 Newbie

Reputations:
  10. jp3

jp3 Newbie

Reputations:
    I read your post. The reason I'm leaning toward mo-bo over the PSU is because batteries won't charge even with it off and sitting plugged-in unused. Yours would charge when off and only struggled when you were using it.

I've tried 2 PSU's already, one brand-new cheapie 90w and a high-quility 120w. Zero charging with either, even when powered off. Yet, they both are good enough to run the computer just fine. It's a ZERO charging issue that I face.

I'm purchasing another one of these that doesn't have a charging issue. From that, I'll have good working parts as a template for troubleshooting this one further. I'll report back what I end up finding.