Samsung Series 7 - Weird Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Buruan, Nov 7, 2012.

1. groundzero2010

groundzero2010 Newbie

Reputations:
    This has nothing to do with firmware or OS or any software for that matter. The issue is the connection at the laptop. If you're experiencing any issue with connectivity, it most likely the DC charging port on the laptop is worn out. Replacing it isn't too terribly hard. If you're uncomfortable take it to a computer shop to have it replaced. They range from $8-20 on ebay. Shaving portions of the black plastic away may fix it temporarily, but will eventually wear out over time. Having the same issue with mine and doing tests with the case open, and swapping the charging port back and forth from the new port to the old port and that was definitely my problem. Hope you find the same results.

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Newbie

Reputations:
    I know this is an old thread but after reading all the above, no one came back with a solid solution, and I had the same problem. So in case someone came here from Google, this is what happened to me: My laptop (NP700Z7C), just like the rest above, would suddenly go on battery mode then back to "plugged in." In the beginning, it would do this maybe once a day. Then after a few weeks, it became more frequent. Finally, in the last 3 days, it would keep flickering back and forth every few seconds. I was pretty sure it was a charger port issue since if I hold the cord in a certain position, the connection would seem stable.

In any case, I bought a new power jack to replace the old one. When I was taking the old one out, I found that all 3 legs (Power, Data, Ground) had completely disconnected from the solder. There wasn't much solder around the legs at all. All the solder seemed to be inside the holes. I guess from the heat and cold cycles the little solder holding the legs gave way. One of the holes, likely the positive, was brown as well. So I cleaned it up a bit, put the new jack in, put heavy solder on all 3 legs. Few hours in now and not once the power disconnected. So just replace the jack and don't mess with the adapter plug. If you aren't skilled at soldering and don't have the right equipment, I suggest you have a professional do it.

Oh, and I suggest you sand the legs a bit before soldering. Th metal they use is kind of smooth and solder does not attach to it very well. If mine starts going bad again, I will take it out and sand the legs so the solder have a better bite.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Edit: Just an update so it won't push the thread up. Since I resolder the power jack, it has worked perfectly. It has not disconnected once. Since I've read about similar problems on different forums about this, all with unreliable/unconfirmed solutions, I'm confident this is the cause to all those problems. This is clearly a design flaw. There is too little solder between the motherboard and the power jack legs. The solder not only helps conduct electricity, but it also acts as a heat spreader. In this case, the heat can be spread to the metal housing of the power jack through the solder. If you are having intermittent connectivity or charging issues or random disconnects, this is the first thing you should check.

You could likely salvage the old power jack but I would suggest you remove it, clean the legs by sanding it, then resolder it with generous amounts of solder. Or you could just get a new one to be safe for a few bucks.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    John Ratsey likes this.
  3. andiskin

andiskin Newbie

Reputations:
    H folks, I've just had the power jack socket professionally resoldered and sadly it still hasn't fixed the problem. As has been noted the fact that the laptop charges fine when turned off seems to indicate the problem may not be a connection issue. Does any one have any other ideas?

This Samsung laptop has been woeful. The hard drive gave up almost instantly. The build quality is frankly like cheese. I brought it on the back of good reviews sadly rarely do such reviews test for any length of time. I will not be buying another Samsung

4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My experience so far with the NP700G7C is quite different, a truly hardy machine.

5. andiskin

andiskin Newbie

Reputations:
    SOLUTION: For reference mine was definitely a power adaptor issue. I tested it with a multimeter and it was fine but I'm told you need to test it under load. Hence why it charges when the computer is off but when the processor starts working it draw more power and cuts out. The way to check is to listen to the adaptor and see if it cuts out with the charge light.

6. fun2sh

fun2sh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine is NP680z5e-X01US battery is inside the laptop and its killing me . I spent so much money on this 1200 and another 400 on SSD. Its ridiculous the laptop is keep getting shut off when battery is 20%. I tried changing power plans many times but no luck. charger looks fine but it stops charging intermittently . My another problem is fully charged battery drains in 5 or 10 minutes. I want to throw this laptop out of window through frustration but amount of money I spent is stopping me. BTW I did send this to samsung for fixing and idiots said replace motherboard as its faulty and it will cost 1349.00...:(:( Samsung is so ****ing insane..

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Have you run the battery calibration option in the BIOS? This will reset the voltage-capacity data in the chip on the battery.

However, I suspect that the battery needs replacing. If it is around 3 years old and you have been frequently using its full capacity then, by now, it's very likely well past its best.

John

8. fun2sh

Reputations:
    John,

Thank you for reply. Yes I did that . I did battery calibration on bios . It shuts down at %5. Then I tried battery calibration twice by keeping it shut for more than 12 hours. its no help and frankly I don't care for battery anymore .. this stupid expensive machine ...I am fine if just run on power. I can make it connected to power and monitor so that at least my kids can use it for homework. I am fed up and given up :(:(:(

9. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The full calibration process involves (i) disable battery life extender if you have it enabled; (ii) full charge the battery; (iii) go to the battery calibration in the BIOS, pull out mains plug and watch the battery drain - it should go to 0% before stopping; (iv) once the computer has gone off then fully recharge the battery.

Compatible replacement batteries are now available for these older Samsung notebooks at more reasonable prices than the Samsung batteries.

John

10. fun2sh

Reputations:
    Thanks John, I tried your suggestion to drain the battery but the problem is it shuts off at 8 % and after waiting like almost 15 hours there is still little battery left like 4% or so.