Samsung Series 7 - Weird Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Buruan, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Buruan

Buruan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

i have a Series 7 and am dealing with an "interesting" issue.

My battery charging seems to randomly switch on and off for no reason.
    I have tried removing the battery saver settings in "Easy Settings" but no change.

Sometimes the battery charges full and then goes into a cycle of charging/not charging switching back and forth every few seconds.
    I have found no pattern to this, sometimes it doesnt charge for no apparent reason.

There is the possibility that the power supply is defective or this is a connector issue, but before I go down this route, i wanted to check here if anyone has seen similar issues, and if so is there a setting/driver/udpdate that can help?

Thanks very much in advance,
    Kai

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Battery Life Extender option in Easy Settings, if enabled, limits the maximum charge to 80% and will allow the charge level to drop a few percent before replenishing to 80%. if BLE is disabled then the charge is 100% but may drop a few per cent before top-up. However, the few per cent drop only applies if the computer is left plugged in to the mains power. If you disconnect / reconnect at 79% then it will do a top-up to 80%.

It is possible that what you are seeing is the result of a poor connection on the mains power. Are you sure the power plug is fully plugged in? Perhaps try pushing a bit harder and seeing if there is a "click" as it engages properly. Once you have excluded this possibility (not an unknown problem) then suspicion must fall on the mains PSU cutting out intermittently (again, check all connections up to and including the wall socket).

John

3. Mister Black

Mister Black Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I appear to be having a very similar issue. When I connect the cord to the laptop, it struggles between charging and not charging, with the battery icon in the tray flickering between the 2 icons. Sometimes it will work as soon as I plug it in. Sometimes it won't even recognize the cord has been plugged in. For the most part, I will plug it in and it flickers for a while and eventually takes.

All is in use properly and connected. I'm curious if anyone out there has solved this issue, and whether it was in power settings, the charger, the battery, etc. Have called Samsung and the only input I received was "send it in and we will send it back in 2 weeks"

Thanks for your help.
    Andrew

4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    My only suggestion is to repeat the above advice to make sure that you are pushing in the power cord far enough. It might need an extra push to make proper contact. This has caught out a few people (including myself).

Also see if the problem occurs with the Battery Life Extender both enabled and disabled.

And you can use the Sensors tab in HWiNFO to see if there is any correlation between CPU / GPU activity and not charging. If, for some reason, the PSU is delivering insufficient power and is, at times, unable to meet the power demand of the CPU then battery charging will temporarily stop.

John

5. ghaspias

ghaspias Newbie

Reputations:

I have the exact same issue, and I should had that it isn't only when it is almost charged, but also when battery level is very low. It is extremely annoying under Win8, since it keeps interrupting my work with a big dialog and beeping, and that goes on for some ten minutes!
    Has anyone had any luck with the "support" from Samsung? This is apparently a firmware issue, and it only started to happen to me recently, after a bios upgrade...

6. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If charging sporadically comes on and off, regardless of the charge level, I would think the most obvious cause is a connection issue (power socket, or a break inside the cable); or a defect in the charger. A firmware issue would not be my first guess, but of course I could be wrong.

I am sure you already verified that all cables are plugged in firmly. Did you try and connect it to a different wall socket -- preferably in a different room and on a different power circuit? Also, if you have another power cable, that's one thing you can test without having to buy another charger.

Otherwise I think you will have to contact Samsung service. But give it a couple days day here first. Maybe others have suggestions.

7. ghaspias

ghaspias Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I don't have another PSU/charger to test, but it does not seem to be a physical connection issue, because it doesn't seem to matter how much I tweak, twist, or push the connector or the cable. Also, after some time, that is, with intermediate battery levels, it doesn't happen at all. But I have noticed that the laptop draws a lot of power when the battery is deplected: at about 5% charge, the charger is providing more than 40W, according to gnome power settings (I dual boot Ubuntu 13.04 and Win8 (factory installed)). The connector and the back of the laptop get very, very hot (I will try to measure the temperature next time - but the metal part of the connector is difficult to hold for more than a few seconds!). So I guess either the battery charge control circuit or the power supply are cutting down the power. My battery has 93% capacity (60.5 Wh reported energy when full, with battery saving disabled), and holds for about 7 hrs normal use (with screen brightness turned down).
    I will try to plug the charger to some load and see if it shuts down above some current/power level.
    Could you fellow members who have similar models (NP700z3c) report if your chargers's plug get very hot when charging?

Thanks

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I have NP700Z3A which is same physical platform as yours, but Sandy Bridge. Charger model is AD-6019R. It gets warm during charging, but never uncomfortably hot. Same with the plug: warm, but not uncomfortably hot.

9. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I think there's something wrong if the plug going into the computer gets hot. It should be metal connecting to metal with negligible electrical resistance.

Can you figure out whether the heat is coming from the plug itself or from inside the computer. If the latter then, if the power board is close by, heat from an overheating component could be transferred along the connecting wires.

I think you should refer this to Samsung. If you are outside of warranty then they ought to be interested to investigate the overheating problem on safety grounds. And whatever is overheating is most likely related to the erratic battery charging.

John

10. beansdiesel

beansdiesel Newbie

Reputations:
    I have had this issue with my Np700z5c for a year now. If it is fully charged and I keep it plugged in it seems to be fine and wont go on and off, most of the time. If the battery gets low it is really bad, sometimes I wonder if it will ever charge again and after turning the computer off and letting it flash on and off for about an hr it will finally hold and charge. If I turn the computer on or cause a big draw on the charger like playing a game alot of times it will start flashing. Best way I have found to make it stop is put it to sleep and it seems to settle out. I took it back to Best Buy and they sent it in to Samsung and it came back exactly the same and no explanation at all. My guess is they plugged it in and it charged fine so they sent it back. I just ordered a new brick so hopefully that will fix it. It seems like the charger is giving out under heavy loads.

I have about tossed it out the window a few times, it is so aggravating. Still have yet to find anyone that has fixed the problem only people with the same problem.