Samsung Series 7 OpenGL fix?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by utvol11, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utvol11

utvol11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if anybody knows if there are any available fixes for the lack of OpenGL support for the Series 7 notebooks with switchable graphics.

I know that some companies (HP) have provided BIOS updates to allow for "Fixed Mode" which only uses the discrete graphics card, but I'm unaware of any solutions for Samsung notebooks to correct this issue.

If anybody has any suggestions, or if there's a fix that I don't yet know about, I'd certainly appreciate the help. Thanks!

2. Ianworld

Ianworld Newbie

Reputations:
    I to have been having trouble with this. Bought the laptop to run solidworks on. Didn't realize it wouldn't use the discrete graphics because it was an openGL program. Thanks for any help anybody has.

3. Ianworld

Ianworld Newbie

Reputations:
    Just an update to anyone concerned. I tried a whole number of things to get openGL to work with little to no success.

The main thing that seemed to work was installing leshcat's driver. I installed his 11.11a UniFl driver according to his precise instructions. leshcat blog IT Tips & Tricks: MultiX: Catalyst 11.11 UnifL for Switchable Graphics

This would appear to almost work, but it didn't quite. Now when I start an openGL program it does reference an AMD driver, but only to give me an "error 126: Failed to Load DLL" Basically there is a problem in some openGL dll that causes it to link to the wrong dll.

People have proposed fixes by copying a file c:\windows\SysWOW64\atioglxx.dll to c:\windows\SysWOW64\.dll but it doesn't seem to work for me. I still get the same error. So I'm pretty stuck. I need solidworks to work on this laptop and now it won't even startup which is worse than just running on intel integrated.

I'll have to try again another day, perhaps after another Leshcat Update.

4. InvertedVantage

InvertedVantage Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It looks like he's released a new 11.11A driver. How's that work for you?

5. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    The problem is Intel's drivers. Not AMD's. They've implemented the manual switch in the Dell Vostro BIOS not too long ago, and once you're switched over to the AMD GPU OpenGL apps work fine.

Intel's graphics drivers are horrible anyway though. OpenGL has been a problem for Intel for as long as they've been making "GPU's". Sandy Bridge is a huge improvement in hardware, but they need to seriously improve their drivers.

6. InvertedVantage

InvertedVantage Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any word from Samsung on a fix or is it going to be one of those things that's stuck in perpetuum?

7. Ianworld

Ianworld Newbie

Reputations:
    That was the set I used. I was going to wait for his next release to try again.

8. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Reputations:
  9. bcrespi

bcrespi Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if this is issue is related, but I have the new samsung series 7. When I selected firefox to run on the AMD graphics card as compared to the intel, firexfox runs really slow. I have the same issue with the "bubbles" screen saver. If the screen saver runs off the AMD, the screen saver is choppy. When run off the intel graphics card, the screen saver runs smooth. Any idea why the AMD graphics card runs performance is beneath the intel?

10. leshcat

leshcat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    long time outdated, use 12.1 UnifL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.