Samsung Series 7 - NP700Z5C-S03CA: My Last Hope

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Fitztorious, Oct 3, 2014.

1. plarfman

plarfman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can buy a battery for less than 7 eur, obv used but yeah ill just buy it, hope the bios thing works after change and i dont waste money since i have very little money lol thanks for the help anyway

Dannemand likes this.
  2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Good choice!

Since you're now on P05RAC, you should be able to update simply by running ITEM_20130402_1069_WIN_P07RAC.exe as Administrator. That will clear the NVRAM as well. Make sure to close all other tasks before running it to make sure it isn't interrupted.

Of course I don't know if there are other things going on with your computer too. But if you cannot get into BIOS, it is almost certain that NVRAM is corrupted.

TANWare likes this.
  3. plarfman

Reputations:
    Yes but also it shows empty boot menu when booting, is that a nvram issue?

4. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Yes, usually is.

5. plarfman

Reputations:
    However this didnt happen right away, at first i installed linux (deepin) onto this thing my bios wasnt working however everything else was working, day after i installed ubuntu 20 dual booting with windows 10 i got the empty boot menu, no manufactor should require a battery to flash a bios but eh even a unoriginal used one that works but still, i really hope i get this thing up again, and i will never switch uefi even for just windows since i heard uefi on samsungs are overall buggy

6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    There are several possible symptoms when NVRAM gets corrupted, and yours fits the patterns. Read a few of the posts above yours, and you'll see.

The one exception is that you can consistently boot Windows from USB. That is rare and very fortunate, since without it, you can't do anything.

Again, of course I cannot guarantee that there isn't also something else going on with your computer. But you definitely want that NVRAM cleared while you still can and before it gets worse.

7. plarfman

Reputations:
    Just purchased the battery!

Its just a used 4400mah battery by green cell (had good experience with custom made battery so)

Will keep you and everyone else reading this updated

It should arrive in like a week or less

Oh and even tho i wont install linux on it im staying on legacy mbr since uefi is buggy, and anyone else reading this, just get rid of uefi

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Dannemand likes this.
  8. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Back in 2012 it was indeed mostly Linux installations that caused NVRAM corruption, because they accounted for most of the UEFI installations.

But since Windows went UEFI starting with Win8, more cases have had no Linux installations. Some only had Windows updates. And a few merely changed the OS Mode Selection, and that triggered the corruption.

My recommendation is to leave OS Mode Selection at whatever it currently is, and clear NVRAM prior to any OS installation.

9. plarfman

Reputations:
    Yeah i had uefi on it but for some reason it switched to legacy by itself, and my notebook had windows 7 preinstalled with legacy on it

10. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Most models pre-installed with Win7 have the older UEFI implementation (just a simple toggle - Off by default). Starting with the Win8 models came the newer implementation with SecureBoot and OS Mode Selection (UEFI OS, CSM OS, UEFI & CSM OS - UEFI by default).

A few "Business Variants" of later models came with Win7 and CSM OS by default, but those were exceptions.

If yours came with Win7 pre-installed, it almost certainly had UEFI disabled by default. I am guessing you enabled UEFI to install Linux (which is common). Then UEFI got disabled when BIOS settings were reset to default, either with F9 or through a BIOS update.

Even without NVRAM corruption, this alone would cause boot problems, as legacy BIOS cannot boot from a GPT disk, while UEFI can ONLY boot from a GPT disk. (I assume an Intel marketing strategist came up with this rule to ensure a steady sales of new chips when users replace their borked computers :eek: )

Until you can get into BIOS and change the UEFI setting, you won't be able to boot your internal disk. And NVRAM corruption (either from installing OSs or from switching UEFI in BIOS) is now preventing you from getting into BIOS.

At least that's my forensic analysis, based on your descriptions :D