Samsung Series 7 - NP700Z5C-S03CA: My Last Hope

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Fitztorious, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @danny3man: Excellent work there, recovering your laptop. And thank you for posting your updated report here!

That post about using F3 is actually earlier in this thread by member @Dave-D. @TANWare posted a quote of it in the Accumulated Unbricking Solutions thread. It is still for semi-bricked Samsungs only, as the computer is alive, just unable to find a boot source. I am glad you found it and pointed it out!

Once again congrats on a job well done :)

TANWare likes this.
  2. btb32

btb32 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have NP700Z5C

May I just ask if my proposed update/reconfiguration will be a problem, I've already corrupted the BIOS some years back and had to re-flash to recover so would like to avoid that scenario again.

I currently have WIN10/Linux Mint dual boot (MBR non-UEFI), but now want to only run Linux and replace my SDD at the same time.

I'd like to format the new SSD to GPT, and in BIOS set to UEFI and install Manjaro (ARCH-Linux). Is this safe to do or should I just stick with MBR and non-UEFI version of Linux?

Sorry for my confusion, I'm struggling a little to understand the differences between the Windows installing from USB bug, the original Linux corrupting bug and the Samsung GPT/UEFI bug.

Many thanks for any guidance.

3. Dannemand

Reputations:
    You are wise to be cautious about this!

The actions we've seen reported to trigger NVRAM corruption in Samsung laptops are:

1) Installing or updating UEFI Operating Systems, both Windows and Linux. Some of the first cases were indeed Linux installations because at the time Windows was still MBR/Legacy BIOS by default (even though a few people choose to perform Win7 UEFI installations). Once Windows went default UEFI (starting with Win8) corruption cases exploded.

2) When changing OS Mode Selection in BIOS settings from UEFI to CSM or vice versa. I was surprised when a member reported that this change in itself triggered corruption, maybe because BIOS makes a final update to NVRAM before switching to CSM (which doesn't use NVRAM).

So if you are currently in CSM mode, and haven't had any problems in several years, I absolutely recommend to stay that way and don't poke the sleeping bear. Even if newer Linux versions are more aware of not overloading NVRAM (which to my understanding is what causes the corruption) it's still a risk not worth taking, if you value your laptop.

Of course if anybody wants to sacrifice a Samsung laptop to science, there are many experiments one could perform, which would greatly help us understand what triggers corruption and what doesn't. But it doesn't sound like where you are with your NP700Z5C :D

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    t456 and btb32 like this.
  4. btb32

btb32 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, your advice is taken and much appreciated.

So if it helps anyone else I've simply replaced SSD formatted to MBR and installed Manjaro in non-UEFI mode.

GPT/UEFI issues aside, all the other hardware on the 700z is supported and this distro of ARCH-Linux is good to go.

Thanks again, had I not thought to post here first I'd probably be trying recover a corrupt BIOS now, and no real need for GPT UEFI anyway.

t456 and Dannemand like this.
  5. plarfman

plarfman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I try to update the bios with the exe but it says i hab low battery and i dont hab a battery np300e5c-a05uk

6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    In most other cases it makes sense to simply update the BIOS when there is a newer version, as that is the simplest way to clear NVRAM. But I understand from your other thread that it won't update because your laptop doesn't have a battery.

Well, the whole point of this thread is that you don't HAVE to update our flash a BIOS, you can just clear NVRAM using the flashing utility. As described in post #7 of this thread.

I would do that to make sure the corruption is cleared. THEN you can proceed to work on updating the BIOS.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  7. plarfman

Reputations:
    Yes but i found a modded bios i flashed it using winflash but it now bootloops instad of showing empty boot menu which by pressing f10 i can, but it still shows empty, however pressing f9 boots into my windows to go 8.1 external hdd still works, do i have to flash po5rac bios which i originally had but sadly i cant find any rom file for it, or does clearing nvram fix it?

Also i cant clear nvram cuz it wont extract the files since i think. It does it before the plug in battery or charge to atleast 30% error, and i got rid of the battery (not cmos battery)

Or if someone is willing to do it, then heres the link to the exe file and someone could send back the extracted files

http://www.mediafire.com/file/44v591lyvqovewg/ITEM_20130402_1069_WIN_P07RAC.exe/file

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2020
  8. Dannemand

Reputations:
    I merged your last three posts. You can use the Edit button to update a post. Better than scattering a series of posts in a row.

I downloaded the official P07RAC from Samsung using the link below:

http://sbuservice.samsungmobile.com/upload/BIOSUpdateItem/ITEM_20130402_1069_WIN_P07RAC.exe

In the future (and for others reading this): Please follow the excellent guide in our BIOS rollback thread to find out what is the latest BIOS version for a given Platform ID (in this case RAC) and insert that filename into the Samsung download URL given in the guide. Then extract it as described in that same guide.

In this case I extracted it and re-packed it as a ZIP file, which I shared on my Google drive because it was too large to attach to this post. Please download it quickly, as it may not stay there forever.

Use SFlash64.exe or SWinFlash_64.exe to clear NVRAM as described in post #7. WinFlash will NOT work.

It is quite possible that the bootlooping will be resolved by this. But I would still recommend you then flash the official BIOS instead of the modded one. That will be more difficult now, since the BIOS update utility will now see you as already on the latest. Use the BIOS rollback guide and advice in that thread (again, linked above).

This is a good example that oftentimes the best advice we can give in cases of NVRAM corruption is "sit there, don't just do something!" Since you were able to boot that external Win8.1 drive AND you weren't already on the latest BIOS version, it should have been the simplest case to clear NVRAM -- although I do understand the battery situation was an added complexity.

Fingers crossed for you. Make sure to post the outcome here :)

9. plarfman

Reputations:

tried but got this
    RAC>sflash64 /cvar /patch

Samsung-Phoenix SCT Flash for Windows V1.3.25.13-1.1, Build 120820
    Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

Error: AC Adapter or Battery is not connected.

ERROR 220 - Failed at power status check! Status = 171.

Tried winflash which didnt work but thats cuz the micom is at po5rac so maybe u can send over the extracted po5rac exe (samsung np300e5c-a05uk btw) OR give me the po7rac bin micom since theres a micom tool inside

10. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Oh wow, so it's actually the flashing utility itself that refuses to work without battery. I'm not sure how to get around that, other than by connecting a battery -- which you can buy on eBay for $15. I doubt it's going to be any different with P05RAC.

It sounds like you still have not read post #7, or you would have seen that WinFlash doesn't support the /patch parameter. Also, why is it you cannot download and extract these files yourself, using the same steps in the BIOS rollback guide that I use? You do have Win8.1 running right?

I have a lot of other work to do today, but I'll take another peak tonight if I have some spare time.

Edit, I managed to find P05RAC in the cached list posted in the BIOS rollback thread. It's ITEM_20120823_634_WIN_P05RAC.exe. Insert that into the URL in the rollback guide and download it from Samsung. Then extract is using the steps in that guide. That's what I would do anyway if I were to do it for you.