Samsung Series 7 - NP700Z5C-S03CA: My Last Hope

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Fitztorious, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thank you for that clarification. Re-reading your post now, it makes sense.

Windows boot looping alone would not necessarily indicate NVRAM corruption to me. In fact, it is most likely just a symptom of the BIOS being outdated when you updated to Win10. We've had other reports of that. (General rule: Always check for BIOS updates before starting an OS update or installation).

But the fact that you are unable to use the F-keys on startup (F2 to enter BIOS, F4 to enter Recovery, F10 to select boot device) does indicate NVRAM corruption. In light of that, I recommend you avoid performing new OS installations on that laptop (Windows or WinPE or Ubuntu) since each new installation will write to NVRAM and increase the risk of getting to a point where you are unable to boot anything.

Your focus should be to create Windows or WinPE boot sources (HDD, USB flash drives or DVD) that you are able to boot on the Samsung, so that you can clear NVRAM by updating to the latest BIOS. It is best to create these on another computer, then try booting them on the Sammy.

The fact that Fast BIOS is disabled will help, since it tells the computer to search USB and DVD for a boot source. Otherwise it checks just the HDD, and only searches other sources if the HDD is disconnected. But in your case you are actually able to boot from HDD, another advantage compared to most users with corrupted NVRAM.

I would temporarily select OS Mode Selection=UEFI or CSM OS as that will allow booting both UEFI/GPT and CSM/MBR boot sources. That said, you should focus on UEFI/GPT sources as your computer defaults to UEFI mode.

I think there is a good chance you will be able to boot WinPE from HDD. If so, you merely have to update BIOS using the file in that link to update the BIOS and clear NVRAM in the process.

Assuming you succeed in that, just follow the steps in my post #206 above to install Windows anew -- from DVD (to avoid problems with the iSSD) and making sure to wipe and re-partition the disk in the process.

Again, good luck. I look forward to hearing the outcome.

PS. And of course I was joking with the username remark, as you realized. You can have any name you like. Well... I guess almost any name, as long as it stays within our general language rules :p