Samsung Series 7 - NP700Z5C-S03CA: My Last Hope

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Fitztorious, Oct 3, 2014.

1. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    My money's half on this one ... :

[​IMG]

...and half on your first choice:
    1. both are typical form factor for bios eeproms
    2. both are very close to the EC (main thing)
    SMSC makes EC chips (Embedded Controllers), so no need to be able to read the exact markings. Your original choice is also very close it, except on the reverse side of the board (which is immaterial). Think these two would do, yet any markings on either or, perhaps, the label on the board could make the id final.

2. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Thought of something else that might help you locate it; if it'a a 4MB bios then it needs a 4x8 = 32Mbit eeprom. This '32' will be part of the chip's markings. There's also the '24' or '25'; this designates the interface used (I2C or SPI), which makes it a likely eeprom, only not which one (there's several). Also, forget anything without markings or very sparsely marked ones; those are not eeproms.

Examples of 32Mbit SPI types:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  3. runnerguy1

runnerguy1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hellllllp. the exact same thing as the OP just happened to me. Series 7 fell off a desk and is now will not boot. The fixes here are out of my league. It also seems out of the 'geeksqaud' league. Are there any companies recommended I could send it to?

plarfman likes this.
  4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Was the computer turned on and running when it went into orbit? This would make it more vulnerable to hard drive damage.

Did the computer come with Windows 7 (ie UEFI disabled) or Windows 8 / 8.1 (ie UEFI enabled)? UEFI stores some key data on the hard drive so if that is damaged then the computer will be clueless how to boot.

Is there any sign of life (eg a light or two) when you try to turn the computer on?

Will it boot into the BIOS? If not, will it boot into the BIOS if you remove the hard drive?

John

5. runnerguy1

runnerguy1 Newbie

Reputations:
    -It was closed when it fell, probably on but asleep.

-it came with windows 8

-There is a sign of life. When you turn it on the opening samsung screen flashes and then it says 'All boot options are tried. Press <f4> key to recover with factory image using recovery or any other keys for next boot loop interation'. When i press f4 it flashes the Samsung screen and reloads the same prompt.

-I have not tried removing the hard drive (quite frankly I just want to send it it off somewhere for repair and not open it up myself).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I suspect that the hard drive is damaged. I would have hoped that the heads were parked while the computer was sleeping, but sleep is very unreliable.

It appears that the BIOS is loading OK but can't boot Windows on the hard drive and also, since the recovery image is on the hard drive, it can't access that either. You are obviously able to read the display so that is OK.

Did you make any back up recovery image (DVD / USB flash drive) or was anything provided with the computer? If you have, or can find something on the internet (look for Windows 8 legal downloads) then you will be able to check the computer's health and confirm the diagnosis. You may need to disable SecureBoot which will need to be done in the BIOS setup. Tapping F1, F2 or F12 (I can't remember which so tap all three in turn) a few times immediately after turning on the computer should get you there.

A competent local repair place should be able to confirm my diagnosis, replace the hard drive (they are standard components but get an SSD if you want to give the computer a new lease of life) and reinstall Windows. You may then need to use Samsung's SW Update program to obtain the software and drivers specific to your notebook. There's no need to go to a Samsung service agent.

John

7. Nomad

Nomad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all!

I have the Samsung Series 7 NP700Z7C-S01UB and after a long time I decided to try and finally fix my access BIOS impedition problem once and for all.

I have a nvram corruption issue as I can not get into BIOS by any means. The good thing it's that the system boots and I can install windows with the DVD drive.

Now I have installed windows 8.1, under MBR, luckily now with Legacy enabled s it's my personal preference but i wouldn't have any problems into installing win 7 or 8 to fix this.

I've tried the roll back method without any luck and also the sflash64 /cvar /patch without any luck as well. I couldn't make the afuwinx64 command work either.

Which would be the proper method to clean the nvram and reinstall the BIOS without using an external eprom burner?

Thanks soo much for any input and help anybody can give me!

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    My only suggestion is the CMOS reset (disconnect mains power, disconnect battery and hold down power button for a minute). But I expect you have done that already.

John

9. Nomad

Nomad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for your feedback and yep I've already tried that of course...

Anyways I'm trying many methods at the moment and I'll post if I can finally find a solution (being the trash bin not one of them :p).

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I just stumbled onto this thread while looking for something else.

It explains how to do a full BIOS reset.

John

Nomad likes this.