Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, some background task or driver is causing latencies to spike. We have a thread dedicated to the subject of reducing latencies. Admittedly the opening post is a bit dated now, but much of it is still relevant -- and certainly some of the links and later posts in the thread are up-to-date.

One thing I would recommend is to uninstall all Samsung utilities other than Settings. If you want to keep SW Update (I do now, though I didn't when I created that latencies thread) I recommend you disable the Scheduled Task that loads S Agent and just load it manually (using a Start Menu shortcut) before SW Update, whenever you want to check for driver updates. S Agent can be a latency hog.

Also get rid of all Intel PROset drivers and install lean Driver Only packages instead.

OK, I am repeating myself. Just read that thread and click its links :D

2. dp3000

dp3000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you also two hard drives in your laptop??

3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope, sorry just one. But I *am* shopping for an SSD. :)

-Matt

4. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I kind of just figured the lag spikes seen in games were due to throttling, and not background processes. Maybe I'll have to look into that.

5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No, you're right, it could be that too. But if it seems to halt or slowdown at regular intervals (like neographic's every 10 seconds) that is often interrupt or timer triggered code monopolizing the CPU. Admittedly, on a quad core this should happen as much. LatencyMon or DPC Latency reveal this quite well.

6. mystery905

mystery905 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For those of you who want more colour saturation, you do not need to use a colour profile. Just do the following:

Right click on the Desktop
    <Graphics Properties...>
    <Advanced>
    <Color Enhancement>
    Slide the Saturation bar to the right (mine is set at 15)

Voila, no more pale colours.

7. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Thanks, and it's quite a coincidence that you posted! I was *just* thinking the other day that my display has looked better, and sure enough when I checked, the color profile had somehow been "dropped" -- maybe a Windows update reset everything? Anyway, I restored the ICC profile, and put myself on the "Movie (Bright)" option under Easy Settings, and things were back to normal. Even so, I think I might tweak the saturation a bit -- will definitely play with the Intel options too. :)

-Matt

8. LoudAndProud

LoudAndProud Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So is the Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5C-S02UB highly recommended. I'm looking for a laptop for school and some gaming, will this get the job done. I do most of my gaming on console, but would like to play a few games on computer. Any problems I should know of before buying?

9. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    If you can find it I would definitely recommend it. Probably the only "con" I've seen on this board is some amount of throttling during games, but during my own gameplay I haven't personally noticed lag or dropped frames. Otherwise it's a beast.

I also carry it daily, and find it extremely portable. In addition, I get 5-6 hours of battery life (more with wifi off) which is a huge feature for me.

At this point the only other machine I might consider is the newer Series 7 models, but those are still a few hundred dollars more, and it seems there are some kinks to work out (especially AMD GPU), but it has a gorgeous screen. The S02UB is pretty good but not that good.

-Matt

10. LoudAndProud

LoudAndProud Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm looking at a refurbished one that is only 750, it seems a great deal for the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.