Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeninsight

Zeninsight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use 04. I refused to go to 06. There is a thread to downgrade, but it's tricky.

2. aellison123

aellison123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone else had issues with Windows 8 on the NP700Z5C? I have installed all the drivers in SW Update, but my keyboard back light isn't working. My screen back light is also acting weird. It goes to full brightness on samsung optimized, but on High Performance I am unable to bring the brightness above about 50%. I think it has something to do with the light sensor. Also, can the WiFi card be upgraded to the Intel Ultimate N 6300? It has 3 antennae so I wasn't sure.

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I also experienced that at first with Win8 on my NP700Z3A. It resolved by disabling Auto Brightness. There are two places to do that. See the post linked here for details.

4. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ...You rang? ;)

I think a 120W adapter would be good for when you're doing things that are CPU+GPU intensive because if the i7 is a 45W part and the 640M is 35W, there isn't much left in the charger to power everything else. I did some measurements, and when idling at minimum brightness I was drawing 9W and at maximum brightness I was at 14W. Not to mention that there's obviously power being run through every other component.

Throttling is definitely an issue, although I'm unsure whether it's due to temperatures or the power supply; the only way for me to test it is to get a 120W power adapter of my own. I was noticing throttling at 89-91C (CPU at 70% use) with full GPU usage. So it may very well be throttling because of power since I believe John said Ivy Bridge is designed to throttle at 95C. Could also be Samsung's BIOS, who knows. A few months ago while gaming on a depleted battery its charge rate was a mere 2-3W and the processor was clocked at around 2Ghz and not turbo-ing.

I'm not sure what's going on with neographic's laptop, as Matt is better at troubleshooting CPU usage stuff. Oh also my current BIOS is P02AAG and SW Update's most current one is P04AAG (haven't felt the need to download it - US model).

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It was the Sandy Bridge i5 2520M CPU in my Lenovo T420s which started throttling at 95C but I'm sure I read something in the CPU data sheet that indicated that thermal protection would stop the CPU from exceeding 100C. It's an assumption that Ivy Bridge behaves the same way. The Intel CPUs can definitely and safely be run in the low 90s C. The U7600 in the Toshiba R500 would get there under load (because the fan was somewhat small and couldn't shift much air).

John

6. gonzagnr

gonzagnr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    dear friends, can somebody send me a link of ebay containing which cable i need to buy to use the mini vga (or mini display port, i dont relly know exactly which one comes in this laptop) with an standar vga monitor??
    so i need a cable mini vga/mini display port to vga female.
    Thak you in advance.

7. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It is indeed a Samsung proprietary mini-VGA. NOT a DisplayPort, NOR a micro-HDMI. The discussion comes up frequently, most recently in this thread. You may want to start at this post where the recent discussion started.

I don't have an eBay link for you. But the VGA dongle that came with my Z3A is marked AA-AV1N12B. Maybe that'll help you locate the right type -- and avoid the wrong one.

8. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is something that has bugged me for a while -- the newer 7-Series machines have a VGA port -- but anyway: on our machines the mini-VGA is a proprietary port, which requires a special cable. AFAIK only Samsung produces the cable, and it hasn't been available for a while.

What I use is an HDMI to VGA adapter, like this:

51A7KR1BVVL._SL1000_.jpg

Here are some examples from EBay, for about $10-$15 (I bought mine from Amazon for $20): hdmi to vga adapter | eBay

EDIT: Hah, I just saw Dannemand's response! And I realized the first picture I posted was wrong -- MAKE sure to look for a FULL HDMI sized adapter (not micro or mini HDMI) if you decide to go that route.

-Matt

9. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did a bit more looking and this model might work:

Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics VGA Dongle New Series9, Ultrabook and Series7 (AA-AV2N12B/US): Computers & Accessories
    Samsung VGA Dongle for Series 9, Ultrabook and Series 7 Laptops: Computers : Walmart.com

AA-AV2N12B/US | eBay

-Matt

10. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.