Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Great info, thanks for sharing.

When I reinstalled my old HP HDX18 a few months ago, I tested a number of ATA drivers: Win7 built-in vs latest chipset from HP (for my model) vs latest chipset from Intel vs Intel Rapid Storage. To my surprise, the HP one turned out to be the fastest with lowest latencies, despite being a couple years old, while Intel Rapid Storage performed worse.

On my Samsung I've always used Rapid Storage, and not seen any ill effects.

I guess it's worth testing these on different PCs, depending on the hardware configuration.

Thanks again, great info :)

2. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dominik's experience rang a bell for me -- I had forgotten that something similar happened to me last year when I installed Windows 7:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...eres-np700z5c-ivy-bridge-175.html#post8988946

Maybe I'll bookmark that post for future reference!

-Matt

3. neographic

neographic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

unfortunately the CPU bug isn't completely fixed. After starting windows, the first Core is at 90-100% for about 2-3 Minutes and then turns into its normal state (0-4%). When I look at the "process explorer", the "interrupts" causes this delay but even when the CPU works normally after 2-3 Minutes, there is a certain amount of interrupt usage (0,5-1%). Are those interrupts normal or do they not appear in the process explorer, when the system works properly? Can you guys just check on you computers if you see "interrupts" in the process explorer! Thanks a lot!

4. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Yep, I think that's normal. At least that's what I see after each reboot. I've always interpreted DPC (deferred procedure calls) as low priority CPU requests, that are scheduled after the important stuff is handled, e.g.,

Deferred Procedure Call - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Typically I see <1% CPU for Interrupts/DPC when I look at Resource Monitor (e.g., it's averaging ~.25% at the moment.)

-Matt

5. neographic

Reputations:
    Ah ok. So your monitor also shows some "interrupt" usage. Is your CPU also working at 90-100% for a while (2-3 min.) during startup?

6. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Precisely. Just tested by rebooting and 2 of the 8 logical cores run high for a few minutes. What's funny is that I normally just look at CPU as total activity, so I always thought that DPCs/Interrupts used ~10% CPU -- of course that's the amount when averaged over all the cores. LOL

Sounds like you're doing fine.

-Matt

7. neographic

Reputations:
    Thanks Matt!

Obviously you are using the "samsung optimized" setting because you have 2 logic cores at 50% during startup. I activated the "high performance" setting and I have 1 logic core at 100%. That's actually the same load as on your system. I wonder which internal service does effect that... During statup many many services are loaded or terminated and after the last service-termination, idle goes down to 0-1%.

I figured out, that when I remove "Intel Rapid Storage Technology", the "interrupts" usage is at constant 8-10% with one thread at 100%. It doesn't even go down after some minutes and stays at 100%. I think I will check which service is responsable for that by using "xperf". I will inform you guys as soon as I have some results.

Dominik

8. Zeninsight

Zeninsight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I assume that CPU quiet mode and similar settings in the BIOS are all disabled? I think that affected CPU throttling too.

Plus, I have heard of people saying that this PC needs a 120Watt power adapter but Samsung only supplies a 90W. Could that be an issue too?

9. neographic

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I'm back with some results! I ran "Latency Monitor (LatencyMon)" an figured out that the "ACPI.sys" driver causes the high CPU usage during startup! There are many many posts online concerning this driver and its problems... So my next try is to downgrade my BIOS from P06AAE to P0?AAE. That's where I need your help! Which was the BIOS version before the latest P06AAE? Can somebody please provide the old versions for me because I cannot download it from samsung. Is there any source where I can find older versions of the BIOS or even the initial version the notebook came with?

Thanks a lot!

Dominik

10. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    I think yjgfikl can comment on both those questions, but in the meantime: I was under the assumption that pushing the "Quiet Mode" button on the keyboard works as designed. Did you mean "off by default" or "not available" in BIOS?

Just curious what you predict will happen with the older BIOS...? Since ACPI.sys is standard Windows code, won't it behave the same as the current BIOS version? At least, I'm guessing it's typical behavior and not due to interacting badly with a specific hardware component. Either way, thanks for the testing, and please keep us informed! I also fear that you have a different BIOS version -- the US model is now P05ABJ, IIRC. I have a version or two before that, but it won't solve your problem. :(

-Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.