Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colpolite

Colpolite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No keyboard ghosting Matt? That's great news!! I'm about to hit Bestbuy in a few hours and i still have a few questions.
    How is the sound quality on it?

I like the 1600x900 on a 14" or 15" display but i'm not sure about the quality of the display itself, does it have good color gamut and do you have any info on the SRGB coverage of it? Is the matte screen grainy or is it super clear and colorful?

Last question, i want to know the actual battery life that you got from this from 100% to 0% when just web browsing and playing music. (Not the estimates)

2. Modred189

Modred189 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has no one gotten adaptive vsync working on the 640m?

3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Alas, sound quality you'll have to judge for yourself -- it's a household of 4 here so we usually use headphones! I'd say the few times I've heard the speakers they were "better than adequate" but I think it's a very subjective issue.

And ah, the screen is worth a dissertation in itself. By virtue of the fact that you used the terms "good color gamut" and "SRGB coverage" I can already guess it will probably not knock your socks off. The earlier models had a very disappointing screen though it seems the Best Buy S02UB has better color and contrast (maybe by a very small amount). Something that has helped improve subjective color quality is adjusting the ICC Profile. I guess I'll leave it to your eye to judge.

Either way, I've owned mine for about 6 weeks now and I am 110% satisfied. This is -- bar none -- the best notebook I've owned to date (going back to 1995 and counting maybe 10-12 machines). RE: the matte display, I would describe it as "clear and colorful," but not "super." I've seen several owners rave about how it performs outside and in bright settings, but my uses are more mundane. The pluses for me are the resolution and the brightness -- and given so many other features scored as excellent for me (e.g., temperature, weight, battery life, etc.) -- I'm OK with a "not-really-retina-quality" screen. ;)

Speaking of battery life, I haven't had the chance to do any rundown testing, but I'd confidently put light use like web browsing at around 6 hours. I've been amazed on several occasions to unplug, then do a few hours of work (e.g., the router tuning I mentioned earlier), and then check estimated battery time to see that I've got 4 or 5 hours left. I was looking at several other machines that would need major tweaking to reach 4 hours (e.g., the Sony S15 and the Asus N56) so it's a joy that the Samsung performs so well with so little effort.

-Matt

4. DrBillBushing

DrBillBushing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The matte screen was one of the major factors I used in choosing the Series 7 model group. I bought a Dell laptop about five years ago that was supposed to have a screen I could use outside (I love working near the ocean since I live on an island), but the seller was wrong. It was useless outdoors. The new screen (the 007) on the Best Buy S02UB model seems fine both indoors and out... better than the S01UB models I saw in the stores as far as I could tell.

5. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    I see the "Vertical Sync" option in the NVIDIA Control Panel -- when I first saw your question, I wasn't sure if the NVIDIA option was adaptive or just simply locked to the panel refresh rate. If you can describe a way to test whether it's adaptive or not I can check and report back. :)

-Matt

6. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think adaptive V-sync is in the drivers for now for the 640m, I haven't seen it anywhere yet. however, regular V-sync works fine in most newer games since they don't actually halve the framerate when below 60 anymore. I always have MSI Afterburner running when I play games and never see it go 60/30/15 it's always just by individual frames.

Also that stock Intel 6235 card sucks as always, and I'm thinking of picking up a 6300 because I don't mind loosing Bluetooth. Speakers are good if you mess with the equalizer in my opinion, the standard setting is far too hollow, the "rock" preset on Easy Settings made music a lot better. Much better than average laptop speakers, and they go loud.

I think I can pull 7+ hours of light web browsing on this thing, and 10 hrs of strictly word typing with all radios off. Like Matt said, web browsing and music gives 6-6.5 hours. Battery life is awesome.

7. Modred189

Modred189 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There should be, in the nvidia settings, a third option for Adaptive Vsync, it's not there in the newest drivers for me.

Interesting. I vaguely remember Nvidia enabling it for all cards in the 600, 500 and 400 series. While I know it's a desktop card, my GTX 470 worked with adaptive vsync just fine...

For those interested, HERE is an article about it, and some screenshots of the settings screen.

8. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Thanks for the article, very informative!

A minor footnote on the 640m and Windows 7: when I downgraded from 8 to 7, the 640m performed as expected. However, it bugged the heck out of me that OpenCL displayed as "not active" when I ran GPU-Z and selected the 640m. I think GPU-Z also threw an error when I started it that said, "Intel OpenCL driver bug detected, skipping OpenCL detection. Please update your Intel OpenCL driver to re-enabe this functionality." Long story short, I dug into the Intel HD4000 install folder, navigated to OpenCL, reran OCLSetup and all four features (OpenCL, CUDA, PhysX, and DirectCompute 5.0) showed as detected and working in GPU-Z.

-Matt

9. Colpolite

Colpolite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    TY Gadget and the others.

One last question. I have a Samsung 830 SSD and i'd like to replace the HDD with it in the future. Is the HDD user serviceable and replaceable without voiding warranty? Is the bottom cover easy to remove and is it the standard laptop ssd/hhd size or the 7mm smaller ones?

10. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Sorry I can't answer most of those questions, but here are a few good resources:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...icky-list-find-most-popular-threads-here.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...ies-7-chronos-np700z5a-disassembly-guide.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...0z3-np700z4-np700z5-series-owners-lounge.html

I also gleaned a lot from this video of the 17" Z7C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFp5HpJ51rA

In particular, what I noticed (and have heard other owners remark) is that the plastic tabs connecting the chassis are pretty brittle. YMMV.

-Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.