Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It will run as asymmetric dual channel. There will be a slight reduction in the memory bandwidth but more than compensated by the extra RAM. My table here is for tests for different combinations of modules with the Sandy Bridge platform but the results with Ivy Bridge will be very similar.

John

2. Modred189

Modred189 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Agreed. ExtremeTech did a test a few years back (page is gone, ) that measured ram speed vs. capacity, and capacity always made a MUCH bigger difference than an increase in speed or bandwidth.

3. rpeters83

rpeters83 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can anyone comment on the durability of the power jack? I have small children and animals running around (i.e., tripping) the house. Thanks.

4. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seems pretty solid to me -- both the connections into the brick and the laptop are fairly tight. In fact, you have to insert the plug into the laptop with a bit of force. Which of course might argue for the opposite outcome, i.e., maybe a magnetic/breakaway connection would work better in your case?

-Matt

5. dp3000

dp3000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A break away solution would definitely be better as I was a victim of someone tripping over my charger in the library. Now the right hand side of my chassis of the display is dented. Not a massive dent but it is still there. I was surprised nothing else broke, it was a mighty drop from a table that made the library even quieter with the noise it made. It all happened in slow motion lol

6. Modred189

Reputations:
    Is it just me or does the GT640m lack adaptive vsync?

7. DrBillBushing

DrBillBushing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bit the bullet and bought an open box NP700Z5C-S2UB at Best Buy the day before Christmas for $635! I couldn't believe the price. Tried to figure out why it was priced so low as it seems to work fine. Then I noticed a barely detectable small scratch on the top that was barely evident.

It has the newer screen which I think looks great. Have had problems with the screen dimming at times I saw no reason for it to do so, the wireless connection occasionally breaks but was generally pretty reliable and the keyboard backlighting goes off at times when I really need it to see the keys. I've also had it lock up twice when in Internet Explorer. All of these have been reported by others.

However the absolute worst thing about it is Windows 8. I absolutely HATE the start screen. I was about to return it but discovered the desktop approach. However there is a lot "missing" from its usual place (as in Win XP or 7) that I stil, have to try to locate so I can adjust my workflow. One thing that really bothered me was that if I opened up Internet Explorer from the start screen and then went to it from the desktop, there were apparently two different sessions because my opened tabs in the start screen version weren't open when I started up Internet Explorer from the desktop. Unless I'm missing something, they don't seem to be integrated. Very strange IMHO.

Also, the Internet Explorer session from the Start screen must have been software engineered by people who don't use common apps. When reading my mail in a tab, the backward and forward arrows on the sides midscreen made it impossible for me to delete messages in my inbox because they opened over the box to click in to delete them. Same with a scroll bars at the edges of the tab window... try to click on the scroll bar and I generally get that stupid Charms bar extending from the right hand side of the screen and preventing me from clicking on the scroll bar. Same thing on the left hand side with the nonsense that extends from the left margin.

I've worked with almost every version of Windows starting with 1 (and, of course DOS and CP/M before that). I did skip Win ME and Vista. IMHO Win 8 is one of the most stupid updates I've experienced in terms of the user interface.

Will be loading some of my mission critical software to ensure it all runs under Win 8. I have 30 days to decide if I can live with the strangeness of Win 8. I do love the hardware for the most part.

8. rpeters83

rpeters83 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Congrats. BTW, you can get rid of all of the apps and pretty much use the laptop just like windows 7. I actually really like the start menu. I figure, when I boot up my machine, I'm going to obviously launch an app, right? The first thing presented to me might as well be a way to launch an app.

9. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Awesome...I think... :) Glad that there are a few positives for you, especially the amazing price! A couple quick thoughts:

- Windows+X (IIRC) in desktop mode pulls up a menu of several important functions (e.g., Computer Management, Device Manager, Programs and Features, etc.)
    - In the Modern UI (aka start screen), under Personal Settings -> General (IIRC) should be a toggle for the automatic dimming (you can also get to it in the advanced power settings configuration)
    - You might try heading over to Intel and checking for an updated wireless driver (btw, how are "Settings" and "SW Update" behaving?)

I totally agree that the two versions of IE is pretty dumb -- I have to wonder if they deliberately "crippled" it to make the next version more popular...?

Keep us posted on how the legacy software performs!

-Matt

10. Modred189

Reputations:
    Mine doesn't have the metro version of IE for some reason. No skin off my back, since I'd never use it, but I don't miss it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.