Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    All is well with the world, then, and nothing wrong with you :)

Back on topic, over & out.

2. rpeters83

rpeters83 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow. Glad I found this thread (well, finally read it, I mean). Just picked up a new S02 (with the newer screen) at BB yesterday and very happy so far. The wireless is solid and fast (using the 5ghz N). The display is decent (it's not fantastic, but a huge step up from my old sony CS). Very quiet, too. I LOVE this trackpad.

My only concern is knowing which GPU the optimus is using. Games like left 4 dead play great, but something older like HL2 plays a little choppy, leading me to suspect it's using the intel hd 4000. Is there any way to force this? I may start a new thread for it. Anyway, that's all.

Also, that tear-down video was very helpful.

3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, I really like the trackpad too -- I wonder why there are a few/several haters?

If you add HL2 in the NVIDIA Control Panel (Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings tab), it should have no problem using the 640m. Another option is to load HL2 from the Start menu -> right click on it, and you should see a "Run with graphics processor" option.

NVIDIAControlCenter.jpg

Or, oops, it just occurred to me: I assumed you're running Win7, but if it's the S02 you may still be stock Win8. If so, it might be nice to get confirmation from another owner.

-Matt

4. diaper84

diaper84 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is anybody having a charging problem?
    I'm having issue with erratic charging. it'd charge -> not charge cycles like that.

Also, my stock drive failed which is being replaced by samsung.

5. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I actually had that problem on mine, turns out the charger was failing. Then it just completely stopped charging altogether. I got it replaced under warranty, but good luck doing it without them asking you to send in the entire laptop + charger rather than just the charger.
    I had to send a few rather scathing emails to gt it done. Make sure you use the Samsung Support Chat service to initiate the request so they'll send you a pre-paid shipping label.

And gadgetrants I agree, this trackpad is the best I've ever used on a Windows machine, so I don't understand where all the hate comes from,

6. Penetra

Penetra Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm here seeking help because this laptop is starting to me off.

It all starts when I boot the computer and it shows the Samsung logo for like two minutes. This has nothing to do with the Samsung Fast Boot Mode although this option gets disabled from time to time. This happens more during shutdown and hibernate but not with Sleep mode.

The problem with using sleep mode is that almost every time that I put it in sleep mode I have to restart the machine because the wireless adapter gets turned off and the only solution is restarting.

It also has moments when it gets stuck doing something and it takes like 30 seconds to be responsive again. We are talking about normal activities like browsing websites in chrome.

To conclude, it also has sound glitches when listening to music or video is playing.

For me, the fundamental question is: Should I upgrade to Windows 8? Will it get better?

7. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm, I've caught mine a few times with the power light on the machine glowing red -- since I leave it plugged in, it seemed a bit strange. I checked charge level and it's around 98-99%, so I figured that it's "trickle charging" but... :confused:

It sounds like some of the issues you're describing (especially the issue with wifi) are discussed here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/688064-how-reduce-latencies-samsung-laptops.html#post8840303

My advice is (and I HATE sounding like entry-level phone support, but) if you have the Win 7 install media and don't mind a clean install (and in particular, following item #4 in thread I linked above), I suspect you'll see some major improvement. I would definitely go that route first to rule out the question of hardware issues, and leave Win 8 for Plan B.

-Matt

8. zooster

zooster Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is the ram upgradable? 4GB are soldered on the mainboard and other 4 on the sodimm... So is it possible at least to install 8GB to have 12 total?

9. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes. Quite a few people have done that upgrade.

John

10. zooster

zooster Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So the ram isn't dual channel...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.