Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBillBushing

DrBillBushing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, Matt. Of course the 630M and 640M is another issue (minor) and perhaps most important to me is the change in screen that some have spoken of between the S01 and S02

2. cEvin_K

cEvin_K Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hmm.. just wondering how much i can sell the laptop for in these days in uk:) really thinking about Y580... hmm... 700z5c-s01uk standard spec.

3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd love to take an unequivocal stance on the screen, but I've run into an issue I don't fully understand: I'm already on the record for noting (a) the S02UB (at least mine and a few others) comes with the newer SEC0007 panel, and (b) the newer panel is a major step up in quality from the previous SEC0006. But here is where things get a little hairy.

About a month ago, jrcuttz made an odd observation -- his S02UB iniitally reported the 0006, but after some type of update, the device ID changed to 0007. What's just as odd is that I witnessed it happen in reverse...I came home with the 0007 (Windows 8) but a few days after downgrading to Windows 7 I checked the device ID and it had DROPPED to 0006. Weird.

Since I'm trained as a psychologist (experimental, not clinical) I realize "all bets are off." Unless I can get the S01US and the S02UB side-by-side, and do a set of objective, systematic comparisons, there's no way to really know if the display I have is any better than the old one. I'm CERTAIN it is (fwiw I owned the S01US back in July for 2 weeks), but there is no way for me to prove it. Plus I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I be beholding a $1000 laptop that is just past it's 30-day return window.

Like I said, I have no logical explanation for how a display device ID can change with software updates, revisions, installations, etc. I also can't explain why my panel looks better to me, considering it might be physically identical to the older model. Maybe some other owners have a way to unravel this puzzle.

-Matt

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @Matt: Aside from the curiously changing panel ID, I think it is very possible that the difference you noticed in color and contrast was completely REAL, but that it was due to different profiles being used: Either manually loaded Windows ICC profiles or Display Color profiles in Easy Settings.

OK yes, I am indeed trying to make you feel better :D

But the truth is different profiles (or lack thereof) can make a significant difference in how the screen looks. It is indisputable that Series 7 models suffer from low contrast panels (except the Z7C) but I think many poor reviews may have come from people who never got a profile loaded.

5. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Thanks! But alas I am my own worst enemy. One of the first things I tried back in July was to tinker with ICC color profiles, including this excellent option. I may have logged 2-3 hours at the local Best Buy comparing settings. Unfortunately I don't have a trained eye so I can't say for sure, but my subjective impression is that there's better saturation on the S02UB, better color contrast, and the blacks are a just a bit sharper/truer/darker. On the other hand, viewing angle is marginally better at best, if not. And the upper-right corner still seems to be under-illuminated. Argh, who knows...

But my honeymoon is over, and I've watched several movies on it and felt totally immersed and engrossed (probably the content, e.g., Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, helps!). So either way I have no complaints! This is a machine that maximizes the set of features I wanted, so I'd feel silly and ungrateful for nit-picking.

-Matt

6. DrBillBushing

DrBillBushing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting point about the issue of different profiles and the appearance of the Series 7 screen. I really wondered how an update could change a screen from the older SEC0006 to the SEC0007... I wonder if it is simply a difference in what the updated software sees.

7. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @Matt: OK, so you were already on to that. Indeed, there may be a difference in panels on that model.

Personally, I just use the Standard Display Color setting in Easy Settings (as opposed to the No Effect setting or the more extreme Sharp setting). And then I leave the Windows ICC profile alone.

And I agree: I like my Z3A as well, despite the so-so panel. And I REALLY like the matte finish and strong brightness which allow me to read it clearly almost anywhere -- but which of course are main reasons why contrast and black levels suffer.

Girl with the Dragon Tatoo was great, particularly if you mean the original Swedish Trilogy. Of those, I liked the first one best. We still haven't watched the significantly extended versions available on Netflix; they're in our queue.

8. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Ah well sadly I just checked HWiNFO64 and yep, it calmly tells me the monitor ID is SEC0006. That suggests it's not simply a quirk of Device Manager, but in fact something a bit more systemic.

However, it also says the Date of Manufacture is "Week: 0, Year: 2002." So, heavy grain of salt with that (looking for a ray of hope here!). FWIW the serial number is 4294967295. Maybe that will prove useful down the road -- coincidentally, it's 2^32 - 1! Hmm, wait... that actually suggests both the Date and Serial Number are "dummies"!

I've got all three queued on Amazon: Swedish (subs), Swedish (dubbed), and the American (only book one so far?). I'm quite the purist when it comes to movies and food, so I'm focusing first on the dubbed set. Don't tell my wife but I have a very serious crush on Lisbeth. ;)

-Matt

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    If you're a purist, you have to get used to subtitles so you can watch (and hear) the movie with the original actors. I'm just saying... Promise I won't tell your wife; and as far as I am concerned, you can have her -- Lisbeth, I mean; your wife too, of course :D

10. gadgetrants

Reputations:
    Gee, what is WRONG with me (don't answer that)!?!?!? Of course I meant to say SUBBED, not DUBBED. Darn.

Hey, I'm in the middle of reading book 2 and watching movie 1. I guess she's a complicated woman?

OK, sorry for hijacking the normal programming!

Speaking of which: I've installed Steam and Origin, and begun a bit of gameplay. My hope is to do a full round of systematic testing in the next week and post the results in an update to my earlier "impressions" thread. I mean, I owe it to the guys who are wondering "what ever happened???". LOL Actually, I'm disappointed that other than the NBC write-up of the Z7C, there are almost no real reviews of "C" 7-series machines. (Now that I'm a full-time member of the club) I'd really like to post a message that offers a comprehensive look. EDIT: I also want to make a contribution that honors the efforts of you, and John and yknyong1, who've made the 7-series forum an exceptional place.

-Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.