Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBillBushing

DrBillBushing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. I'll look into that as well as actually trest out some of my older apps on a Win 7 system to see if they do indeed run properly. Now allI have to do is buy the Win 7-based Samsung!

2. Modred189

Modred189 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    https://twitter.com/SamsungSupport
    Was awesome.

Basically, on the S02UB, they put the light-sensor controls in the Windows setting menu, as opposed to in the Easy Settings app.
    Charms Menu-- Settings-- Change PC settings--General--Screen: Adjust screen brightness automatically to OFF.

Again, this is for the Win 8 version: NP700Z5C-S02UB.

3. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why not try running Microsoft's own Windows XP mode? It's available for free download and since it's their own application it'll probably work with the least issue for your legacy programs.
    Download Windows XP Mode

I'm not sure if it works for Windows 8 or if it has a different download.
    Actually it's also there in Windows 7, under advanced power options on each setting and it's called "Adaptive Brightness." It's a little more difficult to get to then the Win 8 version, but both are good to know. Ever since I've actually disabled the light sensor within Windows 7, the Auto Brightness option in Easy Settings disappeared as well as Adaptive Brightness in Power Management. I thought that was neat.

4. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Adaptive Brightness! That's awesome, I need to check that out. Thanks!

@Modred189, since I've downgraded the S02UB to Win7, I'm not sure how much help I can be. However, in the process of both playing with Win8 and then reinstalling Win7, I can confirm that depending on the driver configuration, Easy Settings can be fickle about what it displays. In the end, what got everything in the right place was (a) updating SW Update and Easy Settings to the latest versions (which sometimes involves looking at other models) and (b) several iterations of Windows Update (esp. updating .NET). Since you do have SW Update: do you have the "Find Model" option? That should be very helpful.

-Matt

5. newcastlefc200

newcastlefc200 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

6. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:

7. sabrefresco

sabrefresco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you just want to find out what your Win8 key is, use this guide

8. jonathan13

jonathan13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all. This is my first post. I have read a lot in this thread, and decided to post because i have three questions.

To begin i just picked up a np700z5c-s02ub for $800 brand new. Is there anything in particular i should know about it? (Quirks, etc.)

A. I plan on installing a crucial m4 ssd. Will the disc cloning software that comes with the m4 copy the recovery partition as well? And will the recovery work in the future if needed?

B. I'm toying with the idea of downgrading to win7. Will i encounter any problems if i do this?
    (Driver incompatibility, etc.) If i do downgrade, i want to do it after i clone to the ssd, so i will have the win8 recovery partition if i want to go back to win8. After cloning to the ssd will the recovery partition still work correctly after having downgraded to win7?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

EDIT: i am also looking into upgrading to 12gb of RAM. What speed should i be looking for to match the speed of what is installed on the board?

Also would it be worth the money to upgrade to 12gb, or would i even notice the difference?

9. newcastlefc200

newcastlefc200 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

10. Modred189

Modred189 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dunno about the SSD, but in regards to the ram, are you doing anything that will bump into the limits of the ram you have? If so, increase the ram amount. Just don't expect much of a performance increase from the ram SPEED increase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.