Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Windows key may be on the PSU (that's where it is on the Series 9).

John

2. sabrefresco

sabrefresco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its weird but the Samsung site does not mention that my NP700Z5C-S04US has a TPM. I found it at the Microsoft Store before I purchased it.

3. Modred189

Modred189 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, all...
    New to NBR, and I was really glad that SOMEONE was covering this laptop, as it seems I can't find much information. I picked up the S02UB at Best BUy (open box) the other day for $800. Sick price considering it didn't appear to have actually been USED (plastic sheets still attached etc).

That said, I deleted the samsung software update app, thinking I wouldn't need it. But it looks like my settings application is out of date, since it lacks a control option for the ambient light sensor. I want to change the settings (it's a little aggressive as is), but the settings app does not have a slider for the sensor.

SO I guess I have 2 questions:
    1- does this slider actually exist for the S02UB?
    2- Where can I download the software update app? (Samsung's website does not list the S02UB afaik.

Thanks!

4. ferrarif1

ferrarif1 Newbie

Reputations:
    unfortunately there isn't

5. DrBillBushing

DrBillBushing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was researching this series and found Win XP drivers for it on the Samsung web site. I thought the i7 wouldn't run XP. Am I wrong? I use XP on my desktop due to all the legacy applications (some dating back 30 years) and some of the ones I need that run on XP apparently won't run on Win 7 or 8.

6. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, I can confirm there's a slider for keyboard and display brightness, plus a toggle to turn off the ambient light sensor. Are you running Win8 or Win7? Anyway, I'd suggest downloading BOTH Easy Software Manager and Easy Settings -- feel free to use the S01US or S01UB driver pages, should be fine. IIRC, once installed, both programs will update themselves several times, the former, in particular, becoming "SW Update."

Dr.Bill, forgive the awkward phrasing but: I can think of no reason XP wouldn't run on an i7, though I would defer to John and the other sages on this forum.

However, I'm a pretty big fan of Win7, and would strongly suspect you could run all your legacy software in Compatibility Mode. Maybe worth looking into?

-Matt

7. DrBillBushing

DrBillBushing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, Matt. I've heard that the incompatibility between XP and the i7 rests with the video subsystem or control chip. I checked on compatibility for many of my more recent legacy apps on the Microsoft web site and the information there said they would not run even under compatibility mode. Of course I hope that's incorrect!

8. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm really tempted to work in a "Pong" joke here, but I just can't figure out how. :p

In the meantime, I'm surprised that some/many won't work under compatibility mode. I've had good luck with some older apps, but then again most are no more than a decade. However, if Microsoft says "no go" I'd take that pretty seriously.

-Matt

9. Modred189

Reputations:
    Instead of installing XP over 7, maybe try running XP inside VirtualBox instead? That's what I do for some company apps that require XP and IE6. Super easy and the best of both worlds. Those old apps rarely require much horsepower that Virtual Box cannot deliver.

10. Modred189

Reputations:
    This is weird. I have SW update, and it's updated, but I don't have these options (I've seen them reference elsewhere for other models of the 7). I have, down the left side of the easy settings app:General, boot management, power management, network, display, soundAlive and Input. In the display tab, all i have are presets for the screen color modes (standard, movie, etc).

IN fact, my settings app is version 2.0.0.21, whereas the one you linked was version 1.1.1.4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.