Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if this will work, but try going into task scheduler and disabling the WLANStartup service. Alternatively or additionally, try downloading the Driver only package from Intel designed specifically for Windows 8 64 bit http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21999&lang=eng. Make sure you select the driver only package (without all the INtel ProSET junk) with the De64 ending 2nd from the top.

Honestly that's probably a defect and you should return it for another one. It's most likely a hardware issue, either with the display itself or the graphics adapters.

2. sabrefresco

sabrefresco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is the "Last BIOS time" in the task manager in Windows 8 and why is it always zero for me?
    Task Manager.png

3. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's the general consensus on the P04AAG bios? I don't plan on changing from P02 but I'd like to know anyway.

Also I've just received my new charger in the mail, so I'm happy to report a positive experience with Samsung's warranty center. It just required a little bit of talking.

4. dp3000

dp3000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi there guys and girls, I just received a batch of laptop screws but none fit as well as I want them to. I also dont want to ruin the laptop even further. Does anyone know the exact screw type the laptop uses??

5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pleasantly surprised this morning to stumble on an extensive review of the NP700Z5C -- Italian version:

Google Translate

Of particular use to owners here are the internal pictures:

Google Translate

It was posted back in October, but is pretty extensive (probably more description than testing, though). If anyone finds it useful, maybe we can ask John to add it to the forum sticky list.

-Matt

6. DrBillBushing

DrBillBushing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. I'm new to Notebook Review, but before I joined I spent some time reading many of the pages in this thread.

Very confused to find Samsung's product page about the series 7 laptops does not even list several of the models I've seen in stores. Perhaps some models are sold specifically through retail outlets like Best Buy, but it really has made me wonder why Samsung doesn't list them. When I'm on Samsung's series 7 product web page and click on the model NP700Z5C-S01US I get a page for a different model (NP700Z5CH).

I'd like to get one of these laptops primarily to edit HD video (using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum) when I'm on the road. Have noted what seem to be a number of issues with the 15.6" series 7 models, although few seem to be totally disenchanted. I would like to get an NP700Z5C-S02UB and install Win 7 on it as I'm not convinced of Win 8's backward compatibility with some of me legacy software.

7. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First off, WELCOME to the forum! Hope you like it here.

Second, don't be put off by Samsung -- my sense is they are not a great source of information (I remember when the S01UB came out, and the Samsung website said it had the 640m when in fact it was the 630m!). For some truly odd reason, if you run the SW Update utility (on any Samsung machine, I presume), and then choose the "Find Model" option, it gives you an astronomical number of models. I don't know whether you can totally assume, "OK, I've entered the right model, so whatever drivers/software it's giving me must be correct," but it's a great tool. Much, MUCH better than the website.

Finally, I would strongly recommend the S02UB. One caveat: I've spent the last few days installing (and reinstalling) Windows 7, and it is a bit temperamental. If you're OK with some trial and error and a few rounds of installing, you will be richly rewarded -- it is a remarkable machine and I can't say enough good things about it. (The only minor con I've spotted so far is mediocre wifi connections and throughput.) I would set aside whatever negative things you've read about here (just my 2 cents) and jump on it. In particular, it will have no problems whatsoever with your HD video editing (not speaking from direct experience, just my overall impression).

-Matt

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @DrBill: You're right, Samsung can be lazy at times about updating their product pages, borrowing from one model to another.

That said, I just compared the spec pages for the NP700Z5C-S01US and S01UB models:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP700Z5C-S01US-specs

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP700Z5C-S01UB-specs

Even though they have the same page title, they ARE indeed different pages, showing the different HDD and Graphics card between the two models. The exact model number is also listed in the spec table.

I have an older 14" NP700Z3A and love it. When the day comes I'll have to replace my old 18" HP HDX, I'll be looking to the 17" Series 7.

9. sabrefresco

sabrefresco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the links. Its always nice to see a review of what I own :p (its identical to my NP700Z5C-S04US)

10. ferrarif1

ferrarif1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    - anyone know if np700z5c-s03 have tpm or other security chip, it comes with win 8 home 64b default
    - where is label with win 8 serial number ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.