Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Honestly the only reason I have SSDs in my desktop and laptop are for boot times. And yet surprisingly, the boot time using Expresscache/HDD combo (my roommate) is within only 4 seconds of an SSD boot (my laptop). As far as applications go, my laptop is barely if at all more speedy than my desktop in opening games, programs, etc. as I have my desktop programs installed to the HDD and obviously all programs on my laptop on the SSD.

Basically what I'm getting at Dannemand, is don't fret about getting an SSD now and just wait for them to get cheaper because it's a pretty insignificant experience when compared to the stock setup.
    One good reason to get one however is for reduced power consumption, but that's only a benefit of the nicer, far more expensive SSDs.

As for an install attempt onto the Expresscache, which is definitely a BYC thing, I don't think that it would help that much speed wise even if it would be possible. As far as I know anyway, Windows 7 requires a bare minimum of like 18GB (maybe 23GB? I don't remember) for 64 bit.

2. bball3212

bball3212 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Two questions

1. Does the S01US have the issues with the wifi that is talked about a lot on this forum?

2. Is there a way to buy extra HD encsloures like the ones Samsung uses inside of these? they are very flimsly. Almost broke one today.

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thank you, yjgfikl. Yes, I understand, I am not really considering such an upgrade for the next 12 months or so. My posts should be read entirely in the context of FullyZ's question if Win7 or Win8 can be installed on the iSSD.

And once again, the answer to that would be NO for an 8GB iSSD. But absolutely YES for a 16GB (which some or all Series 5 models have). And that's a tested fact.

I just remembered that I have a secondary 16GB partition on my old laptop which I use as DVR and for tests. I installed Win7-64 Ultimate on there no problem. It's a couple years ago, and I had to install a slipstreamed SP1 setup, as SP1 wouldn't run as a patch. No doubt 16GB is getting tight. But it runs just fine and is fully up-to-date with all patches.

As for speed, it's not gonna be fantastic. The SanDisk P4 iSSD used in these Sammies (at least in my NP700Z3A) are very slow compared to modern SSDs. But still faster than the HDD.

One thing I forgot to say: You cannot boot the iSSD directly, so there has to be a boot partition on the HDD (Win7 Boot Manager or Grub or similar).

4. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's really impressive I didn't know you could fit Windows into 16gb. Pretty sweet for those with the models with 16gb that want to do that. But yeah the P4 gets somewhere like 185MB/s I think from reading other threads. I never bothered to test it.

To bball3212, WiFi is still an issue with this laptop. It gets signal normally like any other laptop but speed drop off with distance is quite noticeable. This is an issue with all Intel 6235 mini-pci cards as far as I know. The Dell XPS 15 had the same card but they actually ended up replacing it with a different one once they started receiving complaints. It's pretty easy and cheap to swap out the wifi module in this laptop if you're willing. I posted earlier somewhere with speed numbers and distances from the router but I can't find that post. Speed drops off quite quickly anyway.

You mean the metal thing that holds the hard drive in place? I wouldn't know, but you can always check eBay. Are you swapping hard drives consistently?

5. kreidel

kreidel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just picked up my Best Buy version of the NP700Z5C and I am disappointed. First the screen bleeds from the right side, or should I say darkens. Secondly the Wi Fi is real weak, my wife's laptop is farther away and she has better speeds. Third the gaming is horrible, it struggles even at the lowest resolution and settings. I guess I will go pay the piper tomorrow his 15% restocking fee.

6. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Aw man sorry to hear that. The bleed/issue I know exactly what you're describing. On the wifi, you might try going into Device Manager and setting the 2.4GHz radio to auto and (I forget the other one) to 11b/11g. I saw connection speeds and throughput significantly increase after that. What games are your trying -- you're plugged in also, right? You might want to install HWiNFO64 and GPU-Z to get a better look at what's happening while you play -- sounds like some kind of throttling maybe?

Finally, if you're within the 30-day window at Best Buy under no circumstances do you let them charge you a restocking fee!!! It should be $0.

-Matt

7. kreidel

kreidel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply. I play World of Tanks and MechWarrior Online. I tried turning down the resolution to the lowest setting (which looks horrible) but it got 2 to 4 frame rates better. I am plugged in but I even unplugged and it seemed about the same. If the screen didn't bleed and I could manage 30-40 FPS on low settings I would deal with the Wi Fi issue. I was willing to give up performance for form factor and looks but it seems to want to take more than I want to give.

8. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Win8, right? I kind of wonder if that's an issue. Oh well -- sounds like a dud! If you have time to play with GPU-Z in the background (and remember you can squeeze a bit more juice out of the 640m with Afterburner) I'd be curious to hear what happens!

-Matt

9. bigd

bigd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can really use some advise. I posted a few days ago, but didn't get a response. I bought from Best Buy the NP700Z5C-S01UB Windows 7 laptop from Best Buy. It was a close out model. I paid 680.00 plus tax. I have read mixed reviews. I have 5 days to return. It seems like a descent unit. Screen could be nicer. Bottom line, is it worth it for the money or wait for something better down the road. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

10. Pitbully

Pitbully Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your defiantly doing something wrong then, I get 60+fps with nearly every game I've tried with this laptop. Diablo 3, Smite, LoL, and WOW all run very good on it. If you don't have the graphics turned set on max, this laptop will run pretty much every game out there with reasonable framerates.

I've had zero Wi-Fi issues with my laptop as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.