Samsung Series 7 Lovers - Here's The NP700Z5C Ivy Bridge!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @rheeley (and others who might be interested):

As promised, here is my list of bloatware candidates for removal from a Samsung factory installed Series 7. It's based on my NP700Z3A (Sandy Bridge) but I think the differences to your Ivy Bridge are only a few device drivers (Nvidia vs AMD, TPM driver) which aren't candidates for removal anyway.

Absolutely must go (uninstall with Easy Software Manager)
    - Norton Internet Security (30 day trial)
    - Norton Online Backup (30 day trial)
    - CyberLink Media Suite (trial only, I believe)
    - CyberLink Youcam (watch video of yourself at the PC)
    - Multimedia POP (Samsung - play it once if you like, then lose it)
    - Interactive Guide (Samsung - play it once if you like, then lose it)
    - Kies, Samsung (manage Samsung phones)

Keep if you like it, otherwise lose it (uninstall with ESWM)
    - Samsung Screensaver (a 250MB screensaver)
    - EasyFileShare (Samsung, share data between PCs)
    - Easy Migration (Samsung, migrate data between PCs)
    - Software Launcher (samsung, yet another way to load programs)
    - Racing theme (wallpaper etc)
    - Super Bright theme (wallpaper etc)
    - AllShare (Samsung's own DLNA)
    - Samsung AnyWeb Print (print web pages)
    - Samsung Universal Scan Driver
    - Samsung Universal Print Driver
    - Easy Support Center (help fix PC problems)
    - Microsoft Bing toolbar
    - Microsoft Windows Live utilities
    - Skype (if you never use Skype)
    - Adobe Reader (if you never read PDFs)

MAYBE lose it depending on needs (uninstall with ESWM)
    - Intel Wireless Display (if you never use WiDi)
    - Media Center Update (if Windows Media Center is turned off - see below)
    - Intel Bluetooth Highspeed driver (you'll still have Windows BT functionality)
    - Samsung Recovery Solution 5 (backup System Software first, can be used to image Windows drive)
    - Easy Software Manager (Use to install drivers after clean install, periodically looks for updates)

Further Optimization (Windows Programs & Features)
    - Intel My WiFi Technology (part of Intel PROSet/Wireless Setup)
    - Adobe Flash PLayer ActiveX (if you never use Flash, or just hate it)

Windows features that are candidates to turn off
    - Games (don't take much space though)
    - Internet printing client
    - Windows fax & scan
    - Tablet PC components
    - Windows DVD Maker (if you never make video DVDs)
    - Windows Media Center (if you never use PC with a TV remote, reduces background tasks)
    - Windows Media Player (if you use another media player, reduces backgrund tasks)

Uninstalling Microsoft .NET Framework can provide a significant speed boost and avoid TONS of Microsoft updates (google .NET cleanup tool). But unfortunately it is used by so many apps nowadays that you probably want to keep it.

The attached screen shows what the Installed tab in Easy Software Manager looks like on a cleaned (or clean installed) Z3A.

Easy Software Manager.GIF

Also, I am attaching what it looks like in Windows Programs and Features. I've kept Easy Software Manager here although I personally don't keep it after finished installation.

Programs & Features.GIF

If you choose to perform a clean install (as described by Matt) just use this same list to determine which items to install when you first load Easy Software Manager.

Hope it is useful.

apa64 likes this.
  2. rheeley

rheeley Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Appreciate it guys, think i will graba blank disk and do the wipe. Isnt easy software manager one of the installed bloatwares or am i dumb? I have always just used add/remove software in control panel?

Oh and i am so sorry to keep asking amateur questions that were likely already answered. But does this laptop have a key to disable the touchpad at all when i decide to use a mouse as i can imagine this one being a bit of a nightmare when typing a lot of code.

3. Dannemand

Reputations:
    You could say Easy Software Manager is bloat, but it makes driver installation and automatic updating incredibly easy. If you want, you can uninstall it after you're done, then check for updates manually after that.

Fn-F5 disables the touchpad (at least on my 14" ).

4. rheeley

rheeley Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Worked, you have been a massive help thanks very much :)

Got no dvds to hand, gonna see if i can do this recovery using usb like i do for windows. Else i will just do it tomorrow when i can go grab some.

5. Icepicks

Icepicks Newbie

Reputations:
    Well firstly there is a wealth of information here available on this forum. Big thank you to all the contributors and especially the mods.

I've searched around most everywhere but cannot find anyone anywhere asking how to install a graphics card into this laptop. I am new to graphics cards, comfortable replacing ram, hdd etc. but from what I can gather about this particular machine many of the parts are soldered in/require a lot of disassembly to access.

I can't afford the model with the dedicated graphics card so was just wanting top buy the i5 with Intel HD 4000, and buy a gfx card later so I can game.

Is this possible/practical?

Also does this laptop still commonly exhibit a flaw whereby the spacebar is only responsive to being pressed directly in the centre?

I have been searching for a new laptop for some time, and have returned two in the last two months as they broke, this Chronos is looking good..

6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    I believe Samsung Recovery Solution can save your System Software to any location: HDD, USB etc. DVD is just very convenient to save it for future installs.

Remember: don't delete that Recovery partition when you wipe the disk.

And no problem, let's know how it goes :)

Update: Silly me: You actually don't even have to make a System Software backup (although I still recommend it for safety). As long as you don't delete your Recovery Partition, Easy Software Manager will load all the drivers from there. Just download ESWM and save it to a USB, then run it after you've installed Windows.

7. rheeley

rheeley Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I believe the graphics is soldered in mate i dont think you will be able to upgrade at a later time. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can verify that for you.

As for the space bar, when i tried the model in the shop the right side of the space bar didnt work. However i have received my laptop today and it works fine so no worries there.

8. vetch

vetch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anybody managed to overclock the GPU core yet? I can overclock the memory and get some good gains. But I cant get the core above its standard mhz.

9. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Reputations:
    What tool are you using to overclock?

10. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Reputations:
    You cannot upgrade the GPU - you are stuck with what you buy.

The spacebar varies by machine - your machine may or may not have this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.