Samsung Series 7 Laptops - 15.0" and 15.6" Models (NP700Z4 & NP700Z5)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by PeterDLai, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Reputations:
    I can certainly agree with this. I really want a MBP again but I can't pay that much to get one specced to how I want so I understand what you mean. My comment was simply in regards to the trackpad as nothing I've used yet compares to the trackpad on the MBP's. It's good after some tweaking but it's one of those once you try it, it's hard to go back. Really like the laptop so far.

2. dp3000

dp3000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I find nothing (apart from the good ole mouse) is better than the thinkpad track point. I just love it.

3. NEOFOLLOWER2

NEOFOLLOWER2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    although my biggest complaint is with samsung customer service

1. they took forever to finally release this laptop...
    2. mine was doa and took 3 weeks to get a new one sent to me
    3. the galaxy nexus had a similar release to this laptop
    they announced it, then we were waiting for a LONG time with no real news, and its not even available for a gsm provider in the u.s.a (yet we don't even know if they will release it)

4. i called a bunch of times to try and figure out what is wrong with my series 7 and i got a bunch of different answers the only competent person said it needed repair...which it then got sent in for repair then they just decided to replace it

samsung needs to get their customer service/ marketing/ pr together

on the engineering side they're doing great though.

4. dp3000

Reputations:
    Release of phones is mainly down to carriers putting their custom software on the phones

5. Karrerin

Karrerin Newbie

Reputations:
    BestBuy's refurbs on ebay for $750.
    Who have had experience with Samsung's refurbs?

6. steelroots7xe

steelroots7xe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am really close to purchasing an NP700Z4, but I have one major concern (which applies to anyone who has the 700Z4 or 700Z5).

How exactly does the dual microphone/headphone input work?

All the notebooks I've had have the two as separate inputs, and I don't exactly see how having them as one can function properly. For example, I have a Logitech headset with mic, and it outputs to one cable for the headphones, and one for the mic. This works absolutely fine when I use VOIP in games like Battlefield with my Dell XPS since it has a dedicated input for each. But for the Series 7, would I be able to use my headset?

How can I use a mic, but at the same time output the sound to headphones?

Also, I sometimes run my electric guitar into a Korg multi-effects pedal which outputs into an auxiliary connection which I can plug into any microphone input of a notebook. I monitor the real-time audio through Audacity for some quick recording and practicing (really just for fun, nothing serious). So long story short, my guitar is plugged into the mic input and my headphones into the headphone input (on my Dell).

Is there any way I can do this on the Series 7?

How do all you Series 7 owners setup your mic/headphone connections?

Thanks and appreciate any replies!

7. dp3000

Reputations:
    YOu may have to buy some sort of splitter

8. muerteman

muerteman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know about the guitar but for the headset I have a usb little dongle that looks like a thumbdrive and has the normal split inputs on the end. All my headsets are split like yours and using them through the longer to play left 4 dead has given perfect results. I think the dongle came with a plantronics headset I got a long time ago but I bet you can find something that will work. Something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186035 should work. I have a z5a

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

9. NapalmDeath

NapalmDeath Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Salud,

J&R has a new version for pre-order
    Samsung NP700Z5A-S09US Series 7 15.6" Notebook PC - Silver in PC Notebook Computers | JR.com

S09, with a slightly improved i5-2450M cpu 2.5-3.1Ghz

I'm currently on a 4yr old Asus N80VN-X5, C2D 2.4Ghz, 4GB, nvidia 9650M GT.
    Starting playing SWTOR and of course it's sluggish, but playable.

So this S09 will be a nice bump. Faster cpu, 4.5x better gpu, more RAM, 15.6" screen instead of 14" at half a pound lighter. Heat vent out the back and not the side. PROGRESS!

I wanted a MBP, but not willing to spend $1,700 when $1,050 will suffice.

Someone told me an analogy that i5 dual core is like 8GB of RAM, usually plenty enough, and quad core is like going to 16GB overkill and most apps will not use it. I know some feel more is always better, but does Windows 7 utilize quad core well? Reading SWTOR forums, folks say quad helps a little?

thoughts?

10. muerteman

muerteman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Look alright but if you live near a Microsoft store I would try to get an s04 at 25% off orders over 1k

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.