1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Samsung Series 7 Chronos NP700Z5A: Trackpad Discussion Only

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Dec 6, 2011.

1. wilburtsnotebook

wilburtsnotebook Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks John. Your insight to this platform has been invaluable. I really like this laptop and have been using it for years. But the cost to have a local shop service this item is cost prohibitive (i.e. I can't justify spending that much on an old laptop~$200)

I have found the entire assembly as well at Samsungparts.com. Wasn't sure if that would be the best route to go. I managed to find the exact touchpad on ebay for 30 bucks and figured it was worth a shot. I haven't seen anyone on here that has completed the "unit housing top" replacement. I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, but never saw the outcome or results of someone attempting to do that. I would certainly be interested in any pointers to that avail.

Thanks again.

P.S. I will document and post my experience once the part comes in.

Dannemand likes this.
  2. cncarrollton

cncarrollton Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have an Asus Q501LA-BSI5T19 laptop. I needed edge scroll so I installed Samsung ETDWare X64 11.7.13.2_WHQL driver.
    ETDAniConf.exe let me enable the feature, Samsung ETDSimpleUI let me turn off Right edge swipe.

But I still have desire to make it work like my old laptop (small touchpad, separate click button):

I mostly rest my hand and use my index finger for pointing and scrolling (all within the right 1/3 of touchpad), I can't tap on the right edge area where the scroll is (has to reach more to the left to tap, SmartArea settings doesn't seem to work. Btw, tapping doesn't register on both right and left edge, test with corner tap zone and Smart motion dragging enabled doesn't work either (also tried with all edge swiped disabled).

A related issue is left and right click button is integrated with touchpad which I dislike, hard to press, and when press the cursor move slightly (sometime a lot if not steady firmly pressed).
    Basically if anyone know which Elan driver version has SmartArea working, it would help me solve both of my issues.

Very appreciate any help!

wX0US4M.png

BrirDUC.png

There's quite a few people having same touchpad usage preference as me and they're lucky to be able to fix it with SmartSense on Synaptics touchpad:
    Solutions for the y510p trackpad [x-post from r/Lenovo] : SuggestALaptop

Q32nAn8.png

3. Haukyn

Haukyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Searching seems to come up with nothing, alas. I posted this in another thread but was recommended here by the estimable John Ratsey.

I'm having no luck with the "disable when type enable" keys. Nor am I sure which of the many registry folders for the touchpad takes precedence - the keys seem to be duplicated or triplicated!
    I'm on 8.1, with drivers 11.7.19.9 and the only thing that really irritates me with this otherwise wonderfully useful laptop is the touchpad. It's great unless you want to use Illustrator, or scroll in a small box, when it seems to want to go very fast indeed. Has anyone found a fix for that? Lowering the speed makes it jerky and annoying in a webpage.

I've found these intructions, but surely there's a way to activate settings users clearly want without having to hack the drivers! If the functionality's there, why isn't it visible?

Someone needs to give Elantech a good boot in the posterior, so we can have good driver support!

I really just need to be able to use the spacebar and the touchpad at the same time - in a programme like Illustrator, not being able to move the screen around (holding the space bar while dragging) is a real drag. (Did you see that one coming?)

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For completeness, let me quote a few recent posts from other threads containing various touchpad advice. Click the little arrows to jump to the context in which they were posted:

5. Haukyn

Reputations:
    Ahoy all,

I think I've cracked the issue I was having, without dealing with "disablewhentype" and the like, which didn't work for me.

Even with the touchpad set to be "always on" in the 8.1 "PC Settings", I could not press a key and move the cursor. I uninstalled the Elantech programme from the "Programmes and Features" in the control panel, then deleted all "Elan/Elantech" mentions in the registry.

Upon start up, I could move and type (presumably using the PS/2 default drivers) but not do the special touchpad gestures. In "Device Manager" I chose to update the driver of the PS/2 pointing device, instead of using the Elan setup exe, and directed it to the folder where I had previously saved the latest touchpad drivers for my model (11.7.19.9). After installation the scroll is more responsive, the feel in general is improved...and I can type and move the cursor! Hurrah!

Presumably the alternative installation method did something, though I have no idea what it could be...

John Ratsey and Dannemand like this.
  6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I wonder if 11.7.19.9 allowed concurrent typing and touchpad use but until you had cleared out all the old settings in the registry something there from a previous driver was overruling the settings of the newer driver.

Anyway, thank you for the good news.

John

7. Haukyn

Reputations:
    That's a point, John. I think however it's the same driver version I was using before, when the problem was manifest, which makes the clear out more likely. I recall the Ctrl and Shift keys could be used with the touchpad before, but as I really wanted the Spacebar that wasn't much use! Maybe it was just the registry clean, but then I wonder why it had the problem for as long as I've had it? Now it seems I can use any of the keys and still scroll about.

8. Chickentamer

Chickentamer Newbie

Reputations:
    That information's great and I suspect I may have to refer back to it. But I can't even work out what driver to use. I recently bought a second hand Samsung NP900x3A and find the touchpad nearly unusable due to intermittent delays. I'm sure its partly a matter of getting used to it, but sometimes the cursor just refuses to budge.

The installed driver (from a clean install of Windows 7) is 11.7.5.7, with the Elan utility installed. According to Windows Update the driver is up to date

The Samsung SW Update tool only lists a Windows 8 option for my particular model (MS1UK), but I'm running Windows 7. The download page for the model only lists driver version 2.9.0; I tried installing this but the supplied installation programme installed the Synaptec driver. Nothing I tried stopped the cursor jerking and I just ended up with the Elan utility corrupted, so I've had to 'system restore' back to the start. Any suggestions as to what driver I should be using? And how can I get rid of the lag?

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi Chickentamer, welcome to NBR.

I just looked in SW Update myself under NP900Z3A, and indeed it only lists Win8 drivers. That is very odd given that these models were delivered with Win7. Maybe it's because they were released while Samsung still posted drivers on their website, and before SW Update. I see they still have Win7 drivers on their website for that model, but as you found, they are very old.

Assuming your touchpad is Elan, you should be able to use newer Elan Touchpad Win7 drivers from other models that are listed in SW Update.

I have an older NP700Z3A with Elan touchpad, and use Win8 driver version 11.7.10.4 (found under model NP880Z5E) after testing version 11.7.19.9 (found under model NP900X3G) which I didn't like. Under Win7, the last driver I used was 11.7.2.1, which I am afraid I don't remember where I found; some other model in SW Update for sure.

But maybe your laptop has a Synaptics touchpad (not Elan) and that is why the Elan driver doesn't work. In that case the challenge is to find the latest model that still has Synaptics and download its drivers.

Make sure you thoroughly uninstall and clean out previous drivers before installing new ones. Uninstall from Windows Programs and Features Control panel first, then keep deleting and re-detecting the touchpad device in Device Manager as long as it shows the option Delete driver software for this device.

Also, when you perform a clean install, you need to install Chipset drivers from Samsung as the first item, since they affect how all other devices are detected. Use the exact steps in this Win7 install guide which was written specifically for Samsung laptops.

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    This notebook was released around the time that the SW Update system was being set up and Samsung may have also confused themselves because this notebook was also marketed as the ZX310.

FYI, a full set of Windows 7 drivers / software for this notebook is available here. It would be prudent to download and store a set in case they disappear.

John

11. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Some useful tips and links have been posted here.

John

12. Steerpike58

Steerpike58 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the Samsung ATIV Book 9 (2014) 15.6" model (NP940X5J) and am struggling with my touchpad.

I don't see any reference to Elan in the 'programs' area of Control Panel, nor the registry. Can anyone tell me what touchpad I have, and where I might read about possible tweaks?

Thanks!

13. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, the X5J doesn't use the Elan pad so our accumulated knowledge and experience doesn't apply.

Worse still, we haven't figured out what brand of pad it is. It is a mystery why Samsung didn't include the Elan pad in this model given that it is now fairly well debugged, but Samsung have their periodic bouts of unpredictability.

You can try posting your problems in the X5J thread to see if the other owners have any tips.

John

14. Forssberg

Forssberg Newbie

Reputations: