Samsung S7 Edge AT&T Android Oreo 8.0 Delivered Via Update :)

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by hmscott, Jun 8, 2018.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well it finally happened, ATT pushed the Oreo 8.0 update today.

I'm not just posting this as a heads up about the version update, I also had a "scary time" with the update, a couple of them actually.

The Update froze at 66% for what I think was a bout 25-30 minutes... I walked away to do other things for about 30 minutes - after seeing the update bar start, and came back to see it hung at 66% for another 5-10 minutes.

It finally finished the update, and rebooted, and the phone was running hot.

After boot up it was clear this wasn't a normal update - there was no warning that it was a Oreo 8.0 version upgrade, it looked like the normal monthly security update.

The Android Update notification stayed in the drop down for a long time, with it's own update progress bar, which moved slowly, all the while the phone running hot - it was also plugged in - until finally it finished and then asked to do another update - for new Theme's, which was very short.

After all that it's running smoothly, but it's only been about an hour since the update, so I'll post again if I run into other issues later.

Going through the new configuration options now...

The AT&T S7 Oreo Update hasn't shown up in the "Android Authority Android 8.0 Oreo update tracker" status page yet, but it looks like Version had a similar rollout June 6th that got pulled back yesterday June 7th.

I hope AT&T did a better job on their Android 8.0 upgrade. :cool:

Android 8.0 Oreo update tracker – June 8, 2018
    https://www.androidauthority.com/android-8-0-update-784308/

Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge
    • June 8, 2018 – AT&T US: A Redditor posted screenshots of their Samsung Galaxy S7 receiving an Oreo OTA.
    • March 12, 2018 – Canada unlocked: According to Samsung Canada, Oreo will start hitting the S7from “this summer.”
    • April 23, 2018 – Turkey: According to Guncelmiyiz, which is a website run by Samsung Turkey, the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge will get the Oreo update on May 18.
    • May 1, 2018 – UK: Samsung is rolling out the Android Oreo update to the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge in the UK. The update is hitting unlocked and carrier-branded handsets (specifically, Vodafone UK).
    • May 16, 2018 – Global: Samsung halted the Galaxy S7/S7 Edge Oreo update in a few markets where it was released so far. The company announced that the update was causing bootloops in “a limited number of cases,” so it “temporarily stopped the rollout of the update.” Samsung gave no indication as to when the update might start again.
    • May 18, 2018 – Global: Samsung has restarted its Oreo rollout for the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge, which was pulled on May 16.
    • May 25, 2018 – Korea: Samsung has pushed the 8.0 Oreo update to users in its homeland of South Korea.
    • May 31, 2018 – Europe: Samsung has reportedly pushed Oreo to S7/S7 Edge owners in Nordic countries as well as Germany, Belgium and Spain.
    • June 6, 2018 – Verizon US: Android 8.0 Oreo is on its way to S7/S7 Edge owners on Verizon, along with the April 2018 security update.
    • June 7, 2018 – Verizon US: Verizon pulled the Oreo update for some reason and covered it up as if it never happened. There’s no word if the carrier will reverse course and ship Oreo to the Galaxy S7 devices in the future or if the update is doomed.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018