Samsung Recovery Question

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by dannyk65, Jun 9, 2018.

1. dannyk65

dannyk65 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi friends that have helped me so much recently....

I do not have the SR6/f4 on either my SSD or HDD. But I do have the original Samsung Win8 System recovery Media DVD...is it possible to install SRecovery (SR6 if I've understood the past threads) from this DVD? (Update: I think the answer is no)

I'd LOVE to create a UEFI bootable USB but cannot without SRecovery and a factory image, so I'll go back to win8 if I can make all the Samsung Recovery stuff work again and then create the USB backup I want/need. (Update: pretty sure this isn't an option for me)

Thanks again in advance!
    Dan

ETA: My OEM HDD has the 2 REC partitions (I can see their names in win10 disk mgt, but not in win8.1) with the data....would be glorious to be able to pull this off! I have no clue how to try and extract the 2 REC partitions' files from the HDD. At some point I think I foolishly clicked 'yes' to formatting or something on the HDD.

Samsung Recovery from the SW Update just fails to install every time with an error stating the partition recovery number is lower, or there is no partition, etc.

Also, I can only boot with Win Boot Mgr...not my SSD. In disk mgt, the SSD primary partition is NTFS (which I think cannot boot with UEFI). I'm reluctant to tinker with the settings in Disk Mgt and need help please!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi again,

I assume your HDD/SSD is still connected to the SATA2 port in the optical drive bay due to the broken SATA1 port. And I strongly suspect that Samsung Recovery Solution (in your case SRS6) will only run from the SATA1 port, not from SATA2 -- though I cannot say for sure.

If you want to experiment (say, while you still have a blank new SSD) then here are some things to try:

1) First thoroughly study our two main SRS resources linked below, if you haven't already. (These links are copied from our Samsung Forum Sticky List.) SRS is a finicky creature, easily disturbed, and requiring much work to repair/restore. So be prepared to spend a lot of time and several tries. Personally I would not spend time on this for the sake of an SRS containing Win8. But with the procedure described in @Gulfmaster's guide below (2nd link), you can create a new SRS setup with Win10 or (I presume) Win8.1 and use SRS as your backup tool moving forward.

2) If you believe your current SRS partitions are intact but that the F4 link is lost, you can try and install the Samsung Recovery app available in Samsung Update (previously SW Update, download here). Sometimes (some rare times) that can revive the F4 link. And in any case, if the app can connect to your SRS partitions, you may be able to create a Factory Image Backup on a 32GB USB flash drive. For guidance, see step 1 in the guide above (1st link). If you succeed in doing that, you are golden, as this Factory Image Backup can now be used to completely re-image a disk to factory state, including working SRS and factory Windows installation.

3) Also, if you manage to run the Samsung Recovery app, create a USB Admin Tool on another USB flash drive (1GB or larger), as described in step 4 of the guide linked above (1st link). Other than the Factory Image Backup, this is the only tool that can create a working SRS on your disk. There is no readily available Windows tool or other utility that can do it.

4) If you are NOT able to create a USB Admin Tool from your existing SRS, you can download an Admin Tool image (matching your SRS version) from the links in this post by member @dosibox. Burn this ISO onto a USB flash drive to create a USB Admin Tool.

5) In any case should you backup the files and folders of your SRS partitions (SAMSUNG_REC and SAMSUNG_REC2) as described in step 2 of the guide linked above (1st link). After re-creating a working (but now empty) SRS with Admin Tool, you can restore the SAMSUNG_REC2 files which contain your factory installation.

I am repeating myself here since all this is actually described in great detail, with links to even mode details, in the guide in the 1st link above. I wrote that guide because I had enough of repeating myself, and knowing that down the road I would forget the details -- as admittedly I have now.

The guide in the 2nd link above is more "modern" as its focus is creating a new SRS environment with a new Windows installation, using newer versions of SRS. This is very useful and should be considered our main resource for users who want to "keep SRS going" with newer Windows versions. I am afraid I don't have any firsthand experience with that, but the guide and thread is excellent.

I wish you good luck if you choose to pursue this. It is a fascinating topic and challenge if you have the time. Just keep in mind that it may all be moot in your case if SRS only works from SATA1 (as I suspect).

dannyk65 likes this.
  3. dannyk65

Reputations:
    The SSD is indeed hooked up to the SATA2 port...great memory!

Ok, I've spent the past few hours literally poring over your posts from years past and the steps you pasted above for me...I've got the HDD plugged into a desktop and in disk mgt I can see all the partitions the way you described in a thread I read a few minutes ago - 500MB Win RE Tools, 300MB EFI, (Hidden 128 MSR IIRC), Primary G: Partition, 450MB OEM (173MB free?), SAMSUNG_REC2 (22.31GB), SAMSUNG_REC (1GB FAT32). A couple weeks ago, far less detail showed up in disk mgt for the HDD - it's like it's been repairing itself.

The SSD in the laptop only shows 300MB Recovery, 99MB EFI, Primary C: NTFS, 450MB Recovery.

There's absolutely zero important data/files on these drives so I don't care if they get zapped in the process...I just want to get into recovery so I can create a proper system image to put on the USB I've already made.

SW Update installed a folder (SystemSoftware) with a folder titled "Recovery 6.1.0.1" (also tried 6.0.12.10) and it fails to install every time. Errors claim that there is no partition (6.1.0.1), and the version of the recovery partition is lower than the installation version (6.0.12.10) ...no idea what to do. But I'm beyond committed and will see this through!

4. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Nothing was copy/pasted in my reply, but the gist happens to be what I've written before -- because that's all I know :rolleyes:

So it appears you won't be able to get into your current SRS to create a Factory Image Backup or Admin Tool. Do check @Gulfmaster's thread however, as it has some tips for loading SRS directly from the Recovery partition (SAMSUNG_REC). Maybe that will work from SATA2 -- though I doubt it will work from a USB drive (which I presume is how you would access the HDD from your Sammy). You should try it though, you never know.

If none of that works, next step is downloading one of @dosibox' Admin Tool ISOs, burn it to a flash drive, boot it, create a new SRS environment on the SSD, and see if it will F4 boot from the SATA2.

If you are able to F4 boot the newly created SRS, you can proceed to copy the original SAMSUNG_REC2 files from your HDD onto the new SAMSUNG_REC2 partition, then F4 boot again to perform a factory restore -- and create a Factory Image Backup.

If you CANNOT F4 boot the newly created SRS, your only route is saving the SAMSUNG_REC and SAMSUNG_REC2 files and folders as described. Together with the Admin Tool, that will allow you to recreate SRS with factory image if you ever get a disk onto SATA1 again.

Again, good luck, and have fun :D

dannyk65 likes this.
  5. dannyk65

Reputations:
    Dannemand, thank you once again for being such a stallion. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your advice and help...

Isn't it strange the HDD seems to be in much better shape than it was a couple weeks ago? The partitions have labels now, and they aren't basically all 100% free...I'm tempted to take the SSD out and swap in the HDD and see if F4 will work...

Am I losing my mind?

One more question!!! Could I just try and install the Recovery App to the HDD while it's plugged into my desktop? The install fails because of a lack of recovery partition on the SSD, and it seems the recovery partitions are there on the HDD...

Dannemand likes this.
  6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    I cannot explain why the partition details show up now and not before. But definitely try plugging it back into SATA2 and see if it will F4 boot. It'll save you a lot of time.

And you are welcome :)

dannyk65 likes this.
  7. dannyk65

Reputations:
    Ok I'll try SATA2 before I do anything stupid!

8. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Yes, definitely try that with the HDD on SATA2. In fact, that would be my first suggestion if you fail to F4 boot it.

I'm heading out now, so you're on your own. But you have the resources, the knowledge and the dedication to be a successful SRS trooper

Edit: One more thing: Don't get lost in old discussions on here about SRS5, as some of it doesn't pertain to SRS6. And we learned a lot over the years. The two links I gave - and the links within them - should cover all you need.

9. dannyk65

Reputations:
    IT"S BOOTING INTO RECOVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, man. Have a great weekend.

Dannemand likes this.
  10. Dannemand

Reputations:
    That's awesome!

Don't automatically assume that you can repeat it (though you probably can). Leave it in SRS, get a 32GB flash drive and create that Bootable Factory Image Backup ASAP. Follow the guides for choice of flash drive, USB port, and how to verify backup.

Well done!