Samsung NP930X5J / NP940X5J ATIV Book 9 (2014) 15.6" Haswell announced Jan 6, 2014

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by zordex, Jan 6, 2014.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My own inclination would be to tolerate the confusion. Effectively 25% charge means empty so you could set the power properties in Windows to hibernate at, say 30%. You should still get the same run time on battery as before it got confused.

John

2. Steerpike58

Steerpike58 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't mind setting the 'critical' level at say 30% to work around this.

Are the values read by the utility taken directly from the battery, or is there some interface component that is involved?

The cycle count is around 250; is this considered a high number for this battery?

Are there good replacements out there? http://www.batteryclerk.com/Samsung...1Nl-Np940X3G-Laptop-and-Notebook-battery.html this site wants ~$100, which is pretty steep. Looks like I can get a new one for $125 from here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-ORI...845981&hash=item4b18117be6:g:wQQAAOSwUuFW0wRV

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1. Try the 30% critical and see if works OK and gives you the expected run time.

2. I believe that all Lithium batteries contain a chip which monitors, and keeps a record of, the charge level. The device containing the battery gets the battery status from the chip. The need for communication between device and battery explains why the batteries usually have 3 or 4 contacts.

3. This very recent post has a positive comment about a 3rd party battery supplier.

John

4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    As you can see from these packs they are new old stock. Meaning those packs may not last that long. The other new cells MAY last longer but beware of cheap cells.

As you can see from the packs they are 2 serial but multi parallel packs. This of course can cause issues as cells fold under load or charge and/or develop leaks.

5. Steerpike58

Reputations:
    I don't understand your post - 'as you can see from ...' - what are we looking at? Should there be an image in the post?

6. TANWare

Reputations:
    No, if they are original OEM, then 99 times out of 100 they were from when the laptop was made. This makes them new old stock that has been in storage.

As far as the picture and multiple cells you can see how the different cells were assembled to make the pack.

7. Steerpike58

Reputations:
    I went ahead and ordered a battery from the supplier you recommended. I'll report back on how it goes.

I also put my battery through a couple more 'full cycle' discharge / recharge cycles, using the bios 'smart battery calibration' for the entire discharge, but still no improvement in accuracy.

Not sure what you two guys are discussing - seems like you are looking at some pictures that I can't see....

8. TANWare

Reputations:
  9. Steerpike58

Reputations:
    20170923_224048_crop.jpg
    OK, battery arrived today - 9 days after placing the order, not bad for overseas - but I'm unsure how to remove the battery connector! I've searched online and can't find a single guide or indication. I suspect the answer is lurking here in this thread somewhere but I can't find a meaningful way to search the thread, I've pulled apart dozens of laptops, and am familiar with many types of connector. In this case, it would appear that the white battery 'plug' is held in place by the dark surround. In many such situations, the dark surround 'flips up' on a hinge, but I can't see any such hinge. There are two 'lugs', one on each side, that suggest I might be able to lift up that black plastic surround, but a mild application of pressure didn't yield any movement. I'm also wondering if I should just PULL on the white connector; I can see that there is a protrusion on the white connector that mates with a slot in the black retainer; maybe it's just a 'pressure' thing and it will 'pop' out when I pull ... I just don't want to force anything and break something! Thanks for any guidance!

EDIT TO ADD: OK, I figured it out - I just pulled on the white connector (using a small flat-head screwdriver) and it came out surprisingly easily.

So now I get to see if it actually works well! I'm going to let it fully charge while off, for the first time. It arrived with a 52% charge.

Edit to add: I let if fully charge; then did a complete discharge using the bios advanced battery calibration feature (basically just let the bios run it down) then fully charged it without using it. At this point, 'design capacity' is showing 61,940 mWh while Full Charged capacity is showing 62,320 mWh - so the 'full charged' is again higher than 'design', but only by a small amount and I think that can be ignored. So now the real question is, is it any good as a battery ... I guess I'll have to run it on battery to find out!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  10. Steerpike58

Reputations:
    In order to store the old battery to keep it as a spare, should I discharge it down to 50% or so before long term storage? I recall you should not store them at full charge.