Samsung NP930X5J / NP940X5J ATIV Book 9 (2014) 15.6" Haswell announced Jan 6, 2014

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by zordex, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Steerpike58

Steerpike58 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I gave an incorrect description above; I won't edit it since I know people get emails of posts, so an edit may not be seen.

And as I try to correct what I said, I realize I'm totally confused. Here's what I know: On the two 'working' laptops, I used a Samsung tool (Samsung Update, I thought) on the laptop which presented me with 'things that needed updating' - including Samsung settings, BIOS, and several other items including Intel Rapid Restore ... Network drivers, etc. The key point being, the app scanned my laptop and compared what I had to what was available 'somewhere', and offered to install all update-worthy items, which I did. At the end of that process, I had Samsung Settings 2.3.0.28. But I can't seem to get back to that tool; Is it that Samsung Settings tries to run in an 'automated' fashion, and if it can't, then it just offers to download stuff for you?

Bottom line is - I have a version of Samsung settings (2.3.0.28) that is newer than the one I have on my non-working laptop, and I cannot for the life of me find this 2.3.0.28 version anywhere to install. On my two working laptops, I can get Samsung update to run, and I can manually enter my machine name, and find Samsung settings - but it is only version 2.3.0.26, from year 2014.

2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi @Steerpike58,

We actually prefer that members update their post in these cases instead of making a cascade of new posts. Often we'll simply merge such cascades into one post. It is true that many members rely on email notification, but the actual post in the thread (with any edits) is still the official and preserved reference. So feel free to edit your post(s) -- and report any posts you would like to delete.

NBR mods are custodians of thread content, you know, that's how we think ;)

The main advice I can give you is the uninstall/re-install of Samsung Settings I suggested in my last post.

The Samsung Update utility (what used to be called SW Update) is the only official source for Samsung drivers. They stopped posting updated drivers on their website several years ago. A site called samsung-driver.com has sprung up, but I don't think they're official, and I am not sure it is safe.

With Samsung Update (SW Update) you can enter a model number and save the latest drivers for subsequent manual installation. And that's what I suggest you do with Samsung Settings (which does not update itself or any other Samsung software).

The reason I use 2.0.0.89 because it is the latest version that still supports certain features in older Samsung laptops (Battery Life Extender and ExpressCache). Starting with version 2.1.x Samsung Settings gained official support for Win8.1, and starting with 3.x official support for Win10. But I've found 2.0.0.89 to work perfectly with both Win8.1 and Win10.

I don't think the problems you're having are caused by your version of Samsung Settings: Any of these versions should work, including 2.0.0.89 (which happens to be posted for model NP930X5J (essentially your model), just hidden in the Win8 folder of the Easy Settings package for Win7). I think something was messed up during your upgrade to Win10, and my recommendation is to completely uninstall Samsung Settings, then re-install it as described, making sure to reboot in between, and wait 1-2 mins after each reboot.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  3. Steerpike58

Reputations:
    Curiouser and Curiouser ... :)

I decided to do a terribly 'hacky' thing, just to see what would happen. I had very little hope in the outcome, but regardless, I did it and ... IT WORKED ! So let me explain as best I can what I did.

I have two physically identical NP930X5J-S01US laptops. One was upgraded to Win 10 Creators edition, and Samsung Settings did not work (version 2.3.0.26) (The "Problem Laptop").

Second laptop was at an older version of Win10, and Samsung Settings worked (version not recorded before I started updating) (The "Older Laptop"). I used "Some Samsung Tool" to update all the Samsung Software on this laptop to the latest versions. I say 'Some Samsung Tool' because I can't honestly say what it was called, and I can no longer verify what it was, but - this tool was interactive, and showed me what items on my laptop needed updating - broke them into (something like) critical/important, and 'recommended'. I simply clicked on each of these categories, and confirmed, and magically, things like BIOS, Samsung Settings, Color Engine, etc were updated (several reboots were required, and after the reboot this tool relaunched itself and resumed where it left off ... all very user-friendly and convenient). This was not the process I see now in Samsung Update, where a long list of 'latest versions' are presented, for download and subsequent manual application; this tool literally downloaded and applied the updates for me.

At the end of the above process, on the 'Older Laptop', Samsung Settings still worked. I then applied the windows 10 creators update to this laptop, and confirmed it was now at the same version of windows as the 'Problem Laptop'. Samsung Settings STILL WORKED on this 'Older Laptop'.

I then looked at c:\program files (x86)\Samsung\Settings folder on the 'Older Laptop' and saw that the properties of the settings.exe file was 2.3.0.28 (compared to 2.3.0.26 on the 'Problem Laptop' (and had a date circa April 2017).

I then did everything I could to find a version of Samsung Settings 2.3.0.28 using 'Samsung update', to no avail.

Finally, I did my nasty hack; I literally copied the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Settings from 'Older Laptop' to 'Problem Laptop' (which took a ton of work, going into safe mode, using admin command prompt and xcopy, etc since windows now does a nice job of not letting you 'hack' at "program files" any longer!). And to my great surprise, now Samsung Settings WORKS on my 'Problem Laptop', and it's properties confirm that it is now 2.3.0.28 (not 2.3.0.26 as it was before). Samsung Settings the GUI tool works, and my Fn keys work for screen brightness and keyboard backlight!

So in summary, I was able to get a version (2.3.0.28) of Samsung Settings 'somehow' using a tool I can no longer locate that is NOT made available through the Samsung Update tool.

I suspect that what I ran was Samsung Update, but it ran in a different mode perhaps ... maybe if it likes the environment on which it is running, it offers the nice interactive/automated method and if it does not like the environment so much, it just offers to let you download the latest versions and do it yourself?

Dannemand likes this.
  4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @Steerpike58: Wow, so it really was the small version jump from 2.3.0.26 to 2.3.28 that made the difference! I have to say that surprises me.

Very well done fixing it!

On the subject on Samsung (SW) Update I do understand what you say about the two different "modes". When the program can properly detect your model (let's call it "Auto mode") it is able to offer compatible software updates the way you described, and even install them all automatically if so chosen. Very convenient, particularly after a clean install.

OTOH when Samsung (SW) Update is NOT able to properly detect your model, or connect that model to its database, you have to use its Find Model feature, which allows you to look up software and drivers for any Samsung model and save them locally. I just looked up various NP940X5J and NP930X5J models and, like you, I was unable to find a Samsung Settings newer than 2.3.0.26.

But I too have experienced that SW Update offered me newer versions when it was in "Auto mode", versions that I could never locate in "Find Model" mode.

Many are the unsolved mysteries when it comes to Samsung's software, and this just adds one more to the list.

Once again well done!

5. Jayaloha

Jayaloha Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Helo Steerpike!
    Aha!!! Well, congrats!
    Now, I also have my NP930X5J model in the house and its great, BUT, i cannot control my backlit keyboard which is now always on, and FN key brightness also dont work. I am also non Creators Upat Windows 10, but nowhere is there an automated Samsung update tool to be found here. Well, it did found something, and updated a chipset or something, but needless to say, nothing still works here. I love this laptop but man, I wanna control the FN keys.
    What should I do now?

6. Steerpike58

Reputations:
    Manually copying files into the 'program files (x86) folder is a very risky business. There may be corresponding c:\windows\system32 files needed, and/or, registry changes to go with new code ... so I think this is a matter of last resort. But it did work :)

Also, this was a one-shot deal; now that all three of my laptops are on Win10 creators, I can no longer get Samsung Update to work in the 'auto' mode, and thus, won't get any new stuff unless and until they (Samsung) clean up this whole mess. It is very annoying that they seem to have a fix for this but no means to deploy it! I guess I could downgrade from windows 10 creators but that's pretty drastic!

7. Steerpike58

Reputations:
    Battery Information ...
    My main Samsung ATIV Book 9 (2014) NP 930X5J has started to die when running low on battery without hibernating first, even though it is configured to hibernate when battery is low (Critical battery action). I downloaded the latest "BatteryInfoView" (from Nirsoft, a wonderful utility) and one anomaly I noticed is that the 'Full Charged Capacity' was 78,692 mWh even though the 'Designed Capacity' is only 62,266 mWh (and as a consequence, Battery Wear Level aka Battery Health is showing 126.4%, which doesn't make sense). I looked at my other, identical NP 930X5J and it shows a 'Full Charged Capacity' of 61,884 mWh, which is more logical - just slightly below the Designed Capacity.

So does anyone know why my 'Full Charged Capacity' would be showing significantly greater than the Designed Capacity? My hunch is that this is the root cause of my system not correctly recognizing a near-discharged state. Both batteries are original, Samsung.

FWIW, the charge/discharge count on the 'main' unit is currently 246, and on my 'spare' unit, it is 10.

8. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Over time, the battery voltage - capacity table can drift away from the correct situation. BatteryInfoView shows that the battery thinks it has more capacity than it actually has, so it suddenly goes from thinking it has plenty to charge remaining to empty and hence no power to hibernate.

Try running the battery calibration by (i) fully charging the battery; (ii) fully discharging it until it is empty (the last stage has to be done in the BIOS - there probably is a battery calibration option in the BIOS but leaving the computer running at the BIOS screen is an alternative is there is not; then (iii) fully recharging it. It's not good for a Lithium battery to be regularly fully discharged but it's necessary to do it from time to time to reset the value for empty.

Make sure that any battery saver option is disabled while you do this (but I recally that was only available on earlier Samsung notebooks).

John

Dannemand likes this.
  9. Steerpike58

Reputations:
    Thanks; discharging now ... will post back with results.

10. Steerpike58

Reputations:
    I used the laptop normally while on battery for some time to run it down, then went into bios (F2), and chose 'advanced', and then 'smart battery calibration'. This brings up a picture of the battery, not sure what it's actually doing, but I left it on that screen until it died. I then fully charged. BatteryInfoView shows Current Capacity and Full Charged Capacity as 78,692 still (identical to before), with Design Capacity still at 62,266. So no change whatsoever. Any thoughts?