Samsung NP930X5J / NP940X5J ATIV Book 9 (2014) 15.6" Haswell announced Jan 6, 2014

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by zordex, Jan 6, 2014.

1. zordex

zordex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Links:
    - tech2: CES 2014: Samsung unveils Ativ Book 9 2014 Edition laptop
    - wpcentral: Samsung announces the ATIV Book 9 2014 Edition, a 15.6-inch Windows 8 laptop with 14 hours of battery life
    - Ubergizmo: Samsung ATIV Book 9 15.6-inch 2014: 14Hrs Of Battery
    - yahoo news: Samsung Ativ Book 9

Highlights from articles:
    - 14 hours of battery life (to be tested in real life)
    - Screen 20% brighter (than previous generation? that was already 400 nits! To be confirmed)
    - Resolution 1920x1080 (Is it IPS?)
    - New keyboard design
    - 4.07 pounds (was ivy bridge 15.6" not 3.8 pounds?)
    - Lossless audio component (Wolfson DAC chip)
    - 720p web cam

Too bad the resolution is not like the 13.3" version: 3200×1800. Also no mention of touch screen.

Looking forward to see availability, price, and official specifications sheet.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The specs released to the press are attached to my post here.

John

3. FredGauss

FredGauss Newbie

Reputations:
    I really like the looks of this laptop (in particular the storage options and DAC) - but need something soon. Does anyone have any info on the expected window for a release date. If it's too far off I may end up with an X1 Carbon (even though I don't like the idea of the LED function key strip - and would love this audio option)

4. Unit Igor

Unit Igor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This notebook is still prototype so I expect it in the end of first half of year.You have old 900X4C which is still better then a lot of new notebooks .It has battery life better then new X1 with Haswel.
    900x4c don't have IPS screen but it also doesn't have screen door effect or IR so its better then a lot of new screens.Only thing that I don't like about it ,that is hot when you watch video in lap.
    14 hours battery life is probably without wifi.With wifi it would probably have same battery life like 900x4c.If this new 2014 Ativ book would also be hot I would go with 900x4c (if I can find one in six months) because of matte screen.

5. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    The reports from CES indicated mid 2014 but might show up in Korea first. The model number is NP930X5J (or NT930X5J in Korea).

While it appears that the chassis can hold two SSDs, these are probably of the hard-to-find M.2 format. Samsung's usual release strategy is to start with low specs at high price in order to get maximum profit from the early purchasers.

John

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    There are five versions of the NT930X5J in the SW Update database, so this model should be on the shelves in Korea in the next few weeks.

We can then watch out for reviews and find out how good it is.

NT is the prefix for Korean versions. It will be NP930X5J for everyone else.

John

7. treepuppy

treepuppy Newbie

Reputations:
    When do you think this will become available in the U.S? Any chance it will be available in February or March? Thanks

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I think it will show up in Europe before the US since the market there is more profitable and also facilitates ramping up of production. My best guess is that it won't reach the US until the 2nd quarter. I think there were some comments at CES indicating mid year but perhaps Samsung were being conservative after the Book 9 Plus took forever to show up (although I'm sure Windows 8.1 was a contributory factor).

John

9. treepuppy

treepuppy Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the new MacBook 15" because it's the only laptop that comes close to my needs. I prefer the new Samsung though as I loved the old 9.. and I actually prefer the lower resolution (but still good resolution) in order to get better battery life. So probably not until June in the U.S huh?

delfuria likes this.
  10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    The 2nd quarter starts in April. :)

One just has to keep checking for (i) entry into the SW Update database (= going into production) and (ii) retailer listings.

And watch out for Samsung's practice of the first version having low specs and high price. Then, once they are sold bring in a better spec (and a high price), etc. That said, the difference in CPU performance between i5 and i7 isn't much and this notebook is said to have two SSD slots (probably M.2 format) so adding more capacity might not require throwing out the supplied SSD.

John