Samsung NP530U3C not charging

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by fox12, May 26, 2020.

1. fox12

fox12 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello!
    I have an ultrabook Samsung NP530U3C-AD1BR (Lotus 13-R) which does not charge the battery anymore.

Here are the results of my investigation up to now.

When the battery is charged and the AC adapter not connected, the computer works fine.

When I connect the AC adapter, the charge status indicator LED of the computer remains off and the icone of the battery is present on the screen but does not show any charging action.

I first thought the DC entrance power jack connector was dead but I have 19V on the connector U500 (the first connector linked to the jack one, 19V on the 3 red wires). So the DC power jack is OK and the 19V supplies the motherboard.

Then I measured the voltage on the connector J506 of the battery. I have 7.72V on pins 1,2 and 3 (red wires). I have 3.30V on pins 4 and 5 and 0.3V on pin 6 (brown wires), pins 7,8 and 9 are GND (black wires).

1) Does someone have any idea of the origin of the problem? diode?

2) What is the meaning of the results of the J506 battery connector measurement? What does mean the 0.3V on pin 6?

3) Where can I find the electrical diagram of the power and charging circuit of the lotus 13 R?

I would be very grateful to anyone who could help me to solve that problem.

2. WoofWolf

WoofWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Normally there are two cases that can result in this charging issue, one is that your psu has a failed chip and no longer supplies the required voltage/amps that is enough to charge the battery. And another is that the voltage control chip on the battery has failed and can no longer operate as normal. This sometimes happens on a perfectly healthy battery that still has plenty of charge cycles left. If you have a similar power adapter you can borrow from someone with a similar laptop i would suggest try to test that first to see if its your psu, but if not you may have to take it apart and replace the lithium battery inside. I think the battery model is AA-PBYN4AB.

Dannemand likes this.
  3. fox12

fox12 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply WoofWolf.
    I will try to find a similar power adapter, nevertheless, I have 19.10V at the entrance of the motherboard and on pins 5, 6, 7 and 8 (D) of the mosfet Q33.
    Don't you think the problem could come from one of the entrance mosfet or the charging chip U32 (BQ24735) itself ?
    Indeed the battery model is AA-PBYN4AB.