Samsung laptops bricked by using UEFI

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabrefresco

sabrefresco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Linux kernel 3.10 has a few UEFI anti-bricking patches according to this post: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1040557/comments/220

Ubuntu 13.10 and later versions of other Linux distros should have it by default. So I guess there might be fewer cases of bricking for the 2012 models.

2. Kherom

Kherom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I have an NP700Z3C with Windows 8, and watching this thread, I think I should reinstall it in CSM mode, but I don't know how to get a clean instalation disc, any idea? I also don't know how to get the activation key...

3. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    The key is embedded in the bios. You only need to reinstall a copy of Windows 8 and it would be automatically activated.

4. Kherom

Reputations:
    But that would work in CSM mode (MBR)? Anyway i've seen programs for that, my problem is getting the ISO...

5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi Kherom, welcome to the forum.

If Win8 is pre-installed, I don't think there is a need to re-install it in CSM mode for fear of this UEFI issue. For all we know, it may have been fixed with the latest BIOS updates -- just as it seems to have been fixed in the 2013 models. And the problem seemed to occur during UEFI installs, not during use of a pre-installed Win8. In any case haven't we had any UEFI bricking reports in many months.

But if you're saying you want to do a clean Win8 install anyway, I suppose you could consider switching to CSM mode. You will have to convert your HDD from GPT to MBR, as described in the last section of this Win7 install guide which will lose your Recovery. It's a good idea to backup your Recovery Factory Image to a USB stick first with the Create Boot Disk option.

Microsoft does not provide publicly available Win8 downloads -- which everybody agrees they should. If you have a MSDN/TechNet subscription, you can download ISO files from here. Also, If you're a student (and have an ID to prove it) you may be able to get a Win8 download from Microsoft Dreamspark. Please do not ask for or discuss illegal Win8 downloads here, as it is against forum rules.

If you decide to proceed with the clean install, I recommend you check that Win7 install guide I linked for conversion steps, then after Setup has finished, refer to this post for which drivers to install using SW Update, which to install manually, and which to avoid.

Also, the thread linked below contains a lot of discussion about WIn8 installation -- not just on Series 9, despite the thread title.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/683577-samsung-series-9-windows-8-a.html

Let us know how it goes.

Edit: Member gwrace describes in this post that he was able to pull his license key from BIOS using RW-Everything. Try googling that.

6. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
  7. Kherom

Reputations:
    I'm student, maybe I could try that way.

Yes, my laptop works fine, I just want to reinstall Windows 8 in a MBR disk so i can install GNU/Linux without risks. But the setup tool (with the generic key) tells me it can't connect and it ask me to check my conection.

I've tried to obtain the key with TuneUP but it gives me a wrong key :(

For the moment I'm testing a live Ubuntu in a MBR USB, i think that should be safe, right?

Anyway i´m disapointed with Samsung, they should do something...

8. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
  9. Kherom

Reputations:
    If i'm not wrong that way still booting in UEFI mode so it's not safe... And should be better to use a newer Ubuntu ISO:

10. useless guru

useless guru Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I must report that at least the Samsung 540u3d with the latest BIOS (as of end of June 2013) is still prone to bricking.

I just bricked my gf's ultrabook when messing around with win 7 / 8 dual boot config in UEFI mode. Both installations were working OS installs before the mishap.

How did I break it:
    Symptom: The boot settings I made with msconfig (regardless wether they were made in Windows 7 or 8) would never match the windows 7 boot menu. When saving some settings in msconfig (in windows 7) it BSOD. It would then boot into the windows 7 boot menu.

Result:
    Windows 7: Boot fails. Blue screen, reporting incorrect ACPI configuration and BSOD, safe boot (F8) not possible
    Windows 8: Endless repair loop and BSOD. No repair options would work

Bios: I could not make any setting stick. Disabling secure boot and / or fast boot was not possible.
    F4 or F10 would also not work :-((
    -> I had no chance of ever booting from a USB stick.

I took the computer back to the shop where they replaced it on the spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.