Samsung laptops bricked by using UEFI

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    P88AAC is a typo. It should be P**AAC (ie I omitted to press hard enough on the Shift key). :(

P06AAC is the latest in that BIOS family (the X3C has the same BIOS as my X4C).

John

2. duttyend

duttyend Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, that's what I thought. At least, you gave me hope for a few minutes lol.

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I doubt if any notebook manufacturer ever reached the 88th revision of a BIOS. :eek:

I think one of my Dell notebooks (E6400?) reached 20 a few years back.

John

4. duttyend

duttyend Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lol, true, but at least I hoped there was a new P08AAC ...

5. Flyer192

Flyer192 Newbie

Reputations:
    In case it helps others, I just want to share my experience with switching my NP900X3C-A02US (May 2012 manufactured) to UEFI mode, and the nasty problem that then occurred:

My Series 9 was originally shipped with Windows 7, and I wanted to try out Windows 8. I upgraded the BIOS to P06AAC, changed the BIOS settings to enable UEFI support, and then installed Windows 8 in UEFI/GPT mode. Windows 8 worked great.

Everything was fine, until I remembered that my boot order settings had been left to boot from CD first, and for security reasons I wanted to change it to boot HD first.

Well, that is when I discovered that you cannot re-enter the BIOS settings screens after you switch them to UEFI mode (as mentioned above in this thread, F2 just doesn't work).

The alternative to solve this issue should be as John mentioned above, which is to change the settings from the special UEFI settings app in Windows 8, but......(wait for it)..........

That app to change the UEFI settings was MISSING from my build of Windows 8.

I don't know why, but it just is not there. I followed all the instructions online on how to navigate to that UEFI settings app in Windows 8, but it's just... missing. Only thing I can figure is that for some reason, Windows 8 just doesn't think my laptop is supposed to have that UEFI screen available.

So, I was stuck with BIOS/UEFI settings that were more or less, permanently set, with no way for me to get back into BIOS screens to change any of the BIOS settings.

In my case, my solution out of this mess, was to take several steps, which also involved reloading Windows (aargh):

1. Reflash my BIOS, from within Windows 8 (using same version P06AAC). I had to use sflash64.exe from command line, to "force" the "upgrade" to same version that was already present (P06AAC).

2. Open up laptop and disconnect battery and CMOS battery for a few minutes (reconnect back up afterwards). This enabled F2 access to BIOS again. I set the BIOS settings back to their original settings, with UEFI support disabled. This has the unfortunate side effect of preventing a Windows 8 GPT disk from being able to boot up anymore, so the following major step was also required.

3. Re-install Windows 8 from scratch, but using BIOS/MBR mode.

This solved my issue, and I have been happily using Windows 8 on my NP900X3c (P06AAC BIOS) since.

(Standard disclaimer of: your results may vary, I am not responsible from any difficulties that following this process may cause anyone...).

6. hisokajp

hisokajp Newbie

Reputations:
    anyone had the issue with NP940X3G-K01? I do not see any battery reset hole at the back and I would rather not open the machine since I am under warranty... Any option left but calling Samsung?

I tried all the F key but nothing comes up on the screen, only bleu power button, not even fan noise.

7. tsopanis

tsopanis Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, does anyone have a 700z5c Series laptop? I Bricked my BIOS because of UEFI + Linux Live and I want to reflash it. I desoldered the EEPROM and I am looking for BIOS dump from a working PC. (The laptop is a 700z5c-s01uk with Windows 7 ). I was able to extract the bin file from Samsung Updater but the filesize is smaller than the memory of the chip, so it cannot be written unless if I add data .Can someone provide this file? Thanks

8. Kherom

Kherom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why isn't this thread sticked anymore?

Have you found the dump? I have the z3c one so i can't help you, but i would like to hear if you have been able to fix your laptop.

Is it one of those BIOS safe? Mine is AJB, do you know where I can read about this?

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There have been very few reports of bricking for almost a year now - since the 2013 models came out, and possibly since Samsung updated some of the worst hit BIOSes. Also, I believe Linux (which had the most brickings) was updated to better handle Samsung laptops.

There have been other cases of semi-bricking and boot problems, but few had the symptoms of UEFI bricking.

We prefer to only have two stickies at any time, so when the Win8.1 train wreck happened last fall, we decided it was a more urgent public service message.

10. Kherom

Kherom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.