Samsung laptops bricked by using UEFI

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omi3

omi3 Newbie

Reputations:
    I believe my wife's Samsung Series 3 305E 17.3 inch Laptop running Windows 7 was bricked a couple of weeks back by something called "SW Update" - hung at 83%, end of laptop.

Just over 1 year old Samsung agreed to repair it, and it came back today with a note to say it had a new motherboard. As a precaution to prevent the same thing happening again, we have uninstalled "SW Update."

2. SkuterPL

SkuterPL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    SW update is very good tool for updating all drivers, but BIOS you should update with other application, because in SW update you can have problem like you write above

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's very likely that it was a BIOS Update. I'm wary of doing BIOS updates within SW Update so I use the Standalone BIOS Update program as described in the first post of this thread. Once the new BIOS is downloaded then the actual updating is done outside of Windows where the risk of other programs blocking or interrupting the process is minimal.

It's a mystery to me why Samsung can't configure SW Update to set any BIOS update to take place at the next reboot.

John

4. fullyZ

fullyZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So can we assume that linux/samsung did a big step forward in improving UEFI and SecureBoot compatibility ? If so what's the best way to install a dual boot? trial and error method of UEFI? what about the recovery boot?

5. oled

oled Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe the linux kernel was patched in version 3.8 so that it doesn't trigger the bug of older Samsung machines anymore.

6. fullyZ

fullyZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So can i install it the normal way with Secure Boot (UEFI) activated or what? :D

7. Mosurft

Mosurft Guest

Reputations:
    Hey!

I experienced the UEFI brick on my NP900X3C-A02DE a couple of months ago, during May/June. I've sent my notebook to samsung, they replaced something and afterwards it worked fine.

Some days ago, i tried to recreate my disk images with the latest clonezilla software and the macrium reflect software. Afterwards, i am not able to access UEFI via F2 any more.

It seems like UEFI is bricked again! My notebook boots normally to Windows 8.1, but UEFI access does not work!

Could this be the UEFI brick again? That would mean that Samsung was so stupid to repair my notebook and give it back to me with the same faulty UEFI...

Do you have any ideas about this? Is my notebook bricked again? Can i do something about this other than RMA?

Thank you!

Ps.: I tried 10 000 times to press F2. It's definately not a timing issue...

8. mystery905

mystery905 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try updating your BIOS to get back your F2 functionality. That is what worked for me.

9. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The alternative route to the BIOS setup in Windows 8 (and, I assume, 8.1) is: Charms > Change PC Settings > General > Advanced Startup. Then select the option about boot settings which will reboot the computer straight into the BIOS.

Which BIOS does you X3C have? Is it P88AAC or P**ABK? AAC was used for the earlier notebooks with Windows 7 and ABK was used for those shipped with Windows 8. I was surprised to discover that there were two different BIOSes for one notebook and presume that Samsung found that modifying AAC for full Windows 8 and UEFI compatibility through a BIOS update was too challenging. If, however, Samsung put ABK on your notebook during service then I would note that two BIOS updates have been released during the past month. I recommend using the standalone BIOS updater (link in first post of this thread) instead of letting SW Update do this.

John

10. duttyend

duttyend Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi John !

The latest AAC bios seems to be P06AAC but you mention P88AAC, is it a typo ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.