Samsung laptops bricked by using UEFI

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kib0rg

kib0rg Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm that this bug did not affect the Samsung Series 3 (370R5E)?

It has been 2 (or 3, can't remember) BIOS updates since the release of the laptop (of course, changelog's has not been provided), and I wonder whether this is fixed now, or just do not have this bug.

I can not find any information on the internet about 370r5e (users only talk about the 300/350 models).

Does anyone have this laptop, and have you had experience of installing on it two OS's (Win8 + Ubuntu)?

2. Mankix

Mankix Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you!

3. gutzz

gutzz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

This is my first post on this forum since 2009 :D.
    Stumbled upon this forum when I was researching about how to install Win 7 on my Series 5.
    I just bought my Series 5 about one week ago (NP530U3C-A01ID) and I'm planning to use ubuntu on this machine but then I read about this bricking case.
    Yesterday I just updated the bios to the latest version.
    FYI my laptop ships with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Is the problem still exist? how can I make sure that I won't brick my laptop by installing linux? (other that disabling UEFI)

Thanks.

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi gutzz, welcome to NBR.

If you read this thread (which I think you absolutely SHOULD before taking the plunge), you pretty much know the status on that bricking. In summary:

1) We haven't had many reports of it since early this year.

2) Most reports (except a few) were from tweener models originally designed for Win7, then updated to Win8. It appears that Samsung went to a completely different BIOS family for later models which doesn't have this issue.

3) Samsung has been very accommodating in replacing motherboards on bricked units -- even outside warranty in some cases.

4) All that said, I don't think anybody is likely to give you a procedure guaranteed to avoid bricking.

5) We have a few other Linux threads here (such as this) though admittedly not many. I recommend googling site:notebookreview.com/samsung linux NP530 to locate relevant discussions.

Hope some of this helps.

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    One can never be 100% sure but if the notebook is shipped with Windows 7 (assuming that UEFI is not enabled) then there should be a much lower risk of problems when installing Linux than with those notebooks shipped with Windows 8.

The first test is to look in the BIOS: On the Boot page is UEFI enabled or disabled?

John

6. gutzz

gutzz Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information.

Yes my laptop is shipped with Windows 7 and UEFI is currently disabled.
    Yesterday I tried Windows 8 for one day and switched back to Windows 7, is it going to be a problem?

7. Dannemand

Reputations:
    If the laptop shipped with Win7, you can install either Win7 or Win8, without concerns about switching from UEFI/GPT mode (used by Win8) to BIOS/MBR mode (used by Win7) -- which would have required wiping and converting the disk and losing your Recovery. Both Win7 and Win8 should install and run just fine in the current BIOS/MBR mode.

However, if you want to install Linux i UEFI mode (which is where the entire bricking question comes in) you will have to convert to UEFI/GPT, and also install any dual-boot Windows in UEFI mode. Win7 does (in theory) support this, but many owners have found that Win7 and UEFI can be unpredictable on Samsung laptops. Win8 should be a more stable bet if you want to pursue an UEFI installation.

Of course as long as you remain in non-UEFI mode, you are shielded from any potential UEFI bricking.

Whether Win7 or Win8 is better for you is a matter of preference. Win8 has clear benefits, but is a taste that probably needs more than one day to be acquired. If you get one of the 3rd party Start Menu apps, you can ignore Metro and use Win8 pretty much the same as Win7, except it has some improvements under the hood and a "leaner" user interface style (not referring to Metro GUI but to the visual style throughout).

8. ldkv

ldkv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I recently had this same issue on my NP300E5C notebook. What I did was installing Win 8 with UEFI option, then I could never enter BIOS again, preshing F2 constantly on boot wouldn't do anything, the laptop would boot directly into Win 8 without opening the BIOS. So I decided to plug off the hard drive and boot again. Then I could got into the BIOS screen and I turned the UEFI option off. Unfortunately right after that my laptop could never boot again. Each time I power on, it would show the boot screen (with the instructions "press F2 to open BIOS") and restart right away, which would go on an infinite loop whatever I tried to do.

So my question is: Will reset the BIOS by plugging off the CMOS battery help fix the problem? And where can I find the CMOS battery on this model?

Thank you in advance for your guidance, and please excuse my bad English.

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Hi ldkv,

First of all, don't worry, your English is fine. Besides, nobody here is judging you on that :)

From what you describe, I don't think your laptop was bricked at all. Bricking generally means the PC is completely dead (it's like a brick) and you won't be able to turn it on or boot into BIOS.

I think you just ran into two different common issues regarding Win8 and the new UEFI/GPT standards:

1) When you were unable to enter BIOS after installing Win8, it was probable due to the new Fast Startup feature, which means Windows merely hibernates whenever you choose Shutdown. When you turn it back on, it just quickly resumes, making it very hard to catch that F2 to enter BIOS. To help this, You can temporarily disable Fast Startup in Win8 power options (see this post) or you can use Win8 Advanced Startup (see this post)

2) The reason Win8 stopped booting on your PC was most likely that you disabled UEFI after you had installed Windows in UEFI mode. When installed in UEFI mode, it must RUN in UEFI mode, otherwise it cannot boot from the disk. Try and go back into BIOS and enable UEFI, that should allow Windows to boot -- unless something else is wrong.

Lots of users have run into these issues. In fact, we answer questions about them several times a week (sometimes even several times a day). Many users underestimate the differences between Win8 installation and the simple XP, Vista and Win7 installations of the past. Anybody installing Win8 (or downgrading to Win7 on a computer delivered with Win8) should read the following Microsoft articles first to understand these changes:

Understanding Disk Partitions
    Windows and GPT FAQ

10. ldkv

ldkv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Dannemand,

Thank you for your reply. However, my problem is that I cannot access Windows nor BIOS now. Would a BIOS reset fix the problem? And how can I do it on this model?

Concerning the Win8 Fast Startup, I did try disabling it before, but it didn't fix the BIOS inaccessibility, just FYI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.