Samsung laptops bricked by using UEFI

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Reputations:
    AnandTech - Samsung Laptops Bricked by Booting Linux Using UEFI

You can readmore of what is known at H-Online, but the short summary is this: Samsung’s UEFI implementation appears to be faulty. It was most likely tested with Windows only and found to work, but thorough testing with other operating systems doesn’t appear to have been a priority—or perhaps a consideration at all. At present, the bug appears to affect Samsung 530U3C, 300E5C, NP700Z5C, NP700Z7C, and NP900X4C series laptops; if you have one of those laptops, we recommend you exercise extreme caution if you have a need to boot into a Linux environment.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for this. It gives a bit more detail about the problem that has been encountered by several members here who have ended up with unbootable machines and have had to send them back to Samsung for resuscitation.

I would be much broader with the list of potentially affected models and make it any Samsung notebook in production with Windows 8 in late 2012 since they all share a few common platforms.

I would expect that firmware updates to fix this problem is high on Samsung's list. However, since they never provide any log file with the BIOS updates we won't know when they have fixed this bug unless they make a specific announcement.

John

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Great post, this explains a lot. To those who have been pulling their hair in frustration in recent months: it was NOT your fault -- in case there was ever any doubt about that.

I notice Anandtech's update says opening the laptop to clear CMOS solves the brick. I remember John mentioned at one point that CMOS clearing can be accomplished by keeping the battery disconnect (paperclip) and power buttons pressed simultaneously for one minute. (Hope I am quoting that correctly, otherwise please correct me, John). I never tried that myself, but it would seem worth trying for anybody with severe boot problems.

4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I've not had need to try it myself. I recall someone being advised by Samsung to do the above and then wait 48 hours before trying to restart. The attempts to fix these problems are scattered in a few threads. Perhaps those who have had these problems can put their experiences here.

John

5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you can just clear the system by clearing cmos then in reality it is not a BRICK. Is it a lock up and or hard crash, you bet. What Samsung, and other OEMs, need to do is make a better and simpler procedure for clearing cmos. Especially with the UEFI bios as the tables do not constantly get reset. It is too easy for some hardware resources to get set to somewhere there will be problems initializing especially between different OS's etc.

6. XenoPL

XenoPL Newbie

Reputations:
    This firmware bug causes a bit wider scope of malfunctions ranging from corrupt NVRAM (solvable by clear CMOS) to damaged firmware. Despite recent set of kernel patches issue is still not fixed. Also it seems there are several other ways to trip this kind of behavior, including some Windows userspace programs according to Matthew Garrett blog.

7. neothe0ne

neothe0ne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/22855.html

Can we change the sticky to "Samsung laptops bricked by using UEFI?"

Because when I tried to use UEFI on my Ivy Bridge Series 7 Chronos I basically ran into hell before windows could even finish installing... seems safe to just not recommend UEFI.

8. yknyong1

Reputations:
    Paging for John to revise thread title, what neotheOne said is true.

9. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Your wish is my command (on this occasion). :D

John

10. yknyong1

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.