1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Samsung HM640JJ 640GB 7200rpm 2.5" Hard Drive (9.5 mm standard height)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Phil, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Have you found a review that compares both in real world scenario's? I haven't.

The only real world data I do have is the AS-SSD file copy benchmark, where the Samsung HM640JJ beats the WD5000BEKT.

I expect the WD5000BEKT will only be faster during heavy multi tasking but I don't have any data for it.

At those prices I'd go for the Samsung.

2. rokas

rokas Newbie

Reputations:
    I found a quick benchmark review here:

TREADLAYERS.COM: MEGA-CAPACITY 2.5" HDDs: WD10TPVT, SAMSUNG HM640LI and HM100UI

The disk has been benchmarked in crystal disk mark 3.0 and atto disk benchmark.

========================

I got this HDD on monday and I am not impressed. I guess it has some mechanical problems.

HD Tune's SMART reports a warning on the calibration retry count attribute - the DATA value is constantly rising - at the moment it is @ 465...

Also there is a warning at UltraDMA CRc error count - the DATa value shows 64 and reallocated sectors count is 10.

The weird thing are the reports of other SMART utilities I tried:

crystal disk info showed problems with reallocated sectors count only but the warning disappeared during the day. Hard disk sentinel, Disk Checkup, Active SMART, Personal SMART Check DID NOT show any problems.

HD Tune shows abnormal spikes during the whole reading benchmark (it shows up even if shortstroked to 160GB). No smooth reading line there, as shown in the very first picture of this thread, I am wondering.

I tried the disk in an external eSATA enclosure, in a notebook (dell xps m1530) and on a desktop. always the same story.

When I tried the writing benchmark there was bettering in terms of smoothness but the speed was nowhere near 100MB/s at the beginning of the platter...

Could this be a firmware thing? My firmware is 2AK10001. Production date 2010.09.

I will try to return the disk and ask for a new one.

Attached Files:

3. Forge

Forge Super Stylin'

Reputations:
    I think we have proof that HDTune doesn't like the HM660JJ

Attached Files:

4. M1r4ge

M1r4ge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. waleed786

waleed786 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Aren't these the drives that come standard in the new Dell XPS notebooks? Except they have the 500gb version

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you see a "640GB 7200RPM" option then it is indeed the Samsung drive; no other hard drive brand has one.

7. lentak

lentak Newbie

Reputations:
    hi there, i have bought hm640jj and put into notebook hp 6710b. i have installed new ms xp sp3 but not in ahci mode (sata native). now i am not able to install neither intel matrix... nor ahci driver due to incompatibility (???) problems.
    have done hdtunepro benchmark and here is result:
    [​IMG]
    is this due to non ahci mode? or something else is wrong?
    thanks
    marian

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Marian -- those results indicate something else is taking up the disk I/O while HD Tune is running. What kind of antivirus program do you have and what other programs are running in the background?

9. beastyben1

beastyben1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally got around to comparing my HM640JJ to my old Seagate 5400rpm 8mb drive that came standard in the E6400. The Samsung is on the left, I cut the partition size down.

[​IMG]

10. lentak

lentak Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for reply.
    i have avira but same if disabled. i have disabled also tuneup utilities.
    also tried hd tune pro in mini windows xp (hirens bootable cd) and same result.
    are there any similar utilities under dos? to avoid anything in backround.
    maybe hdd is not ok?

edit: i have benchmarked also with sysinternals process monitor turned on (showing only file system activity) and only hd tune pro operations have been logged.

11. RWUK

RWUK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

This is similar to what I've seen with the WD and Hitachi 500GB models. The Tech Report review from the last page shows the WD500BEKT and 7k500 still seem to have the upper hand with multitasking & IO performance and then power consumption and noise levels. Despite that, the Samsung is shaping up to be a pretty decent drive. I'd still like to see it in one of Phil's comparisons though. :)

12. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    I have the HM640JJ in my new laptop, and its FAST. Here's my temps and CrystalDiskMark:

[​IMG]

13. aprilia1k

aprilia1k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    possible newb question (actually, just a little out-of-touch in utils over couple years, so perhaps it's more of a bewb question ;)

What util are you running back there to get the drive's temp?
    I'm thinking there's got to be a cool r/o (non-destructive) util that would show cpu, gpu, drive temps. Maybe other components like chipset & etc.... anyway, whatchya got there? ;)

14. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    I use the free HWMonitor 1.16.

15. aprilia1k

aprilia1k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HWMonitor. Cool, thanks.

I probably should have mentioned that I installed the drive (HM640JJ 640gb 7200rpm) in my G/W P-7805u two days ago, as replacement for system drive (I use ShadowProtect for backup, almost 2 yrs now - so restoring the system drive from a fresh backup was a cakewalk).

Anyway - today the drive started spitting SMART event warnings every few minutes. I don't yet have any SMART diag utils, so don't know the root cause (e.g. some threshold of I/O errors/retries being exceeded or etc..). Since it's new, I've already RMA'd it and I'm hoping it's replacement is from a different batch ;) Or rather, that it's not a symptom of a product-level/Mfg issue. I know these haven't been out for all that long, but even on Amazon the price was pretty good. That N.E. price is insane though, provided they're generally reliable. Time will tell.

16. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    There are plenty of free SMART value readers available; I like CrystalDiskInfo, others like HDTune. You can also run utilities like WD's Data Lifeguard even on non-WD drives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.