1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Samsung BIOS Update Problems

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Nov 27, 2012.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

2. Garbanzo Bill

Garbanzo Bill Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks John for this thread and keeping people updated, really good work :)

I came here because i was getting worried about how frequent bios updates became, with P10ABK making my sw update wink at me today. Now I'm thinking, possibly it is to solve problems with the previous version? Don't know if this a good sign, Samsung having heard of this RAM issue and fixing it rapidly, or a bad sign, with other problems that aren't known to us...

I personally will wait a few days/weeks before applying bios updates, from now on. The risk of the laptop getting stuck for apparently pretty random reasons and the very little (visible to me, at least) advantages given by each update seem to not make it worth any hasty decision...

(900X4D, win8. Never had any bios update issue even though i always used sw update.)

3. John Ratsey

I commented on P10ABK in this thread. It didn't fix the lack of 1.35V RAM support. I suspect that these recent BIOS updates are to provide better 8.1 compatibility.

John

4. danial.aw

danial.aw Newbie

Alright guys I would appreciate it someone could help me out... I am stuck in a very annoying problem...

About 4 - 5 days ago my laptop samsung np540u3c got a bios update and a bunch of other upgades for 8.1 which I did... then my laptop seemingly crashed 2 days later...

So I am now trying to reinstall windows... but for some reason the installation disk says windows cannot be installed on this disk (my hdd) check bios and enable controller....

I am stuck because I cannot reflash or update/downgrade my bios without a windows machine :S... and no windows is working... linux seems to run fine though ... I am lost :(

5. dansci

dansci Newbie

Hi,

I also have problem with BIOS SW Update. It is frozen in 88% of Veryfying Main Block, so I suppose it is afetr reflashing. But now I don't know what to do. It is in that state half hour and all the system is frozen. Should I remove battery to restart notebook?

My device: NP540U4E-X04PL
    My OS: Windows 8 HE

6. John Ratsey

Were you doing the BIOS Update within SW Update or using the separate BIOS Update program to download the update file and then run it separately?

Anyway, you have little choice but to stop it. Holding down the power button may be sufficient. If not, if the battery is internal then check if there is a battery disconnect hole in the bottom of the computer. If there is then disconnect the mains power and poke a straightened paperclip through the hole.

John

7. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

3 Series here... Given that this model NP365E5C-S01UB seems to be an unwanted stepchild [not listed in NP365 models..] I'm glad I found this thread, and I shall not update the BIOS as the Software Updater suggests!
    I'm on issue P03... and it wants to fail P07

8. GangBunTu

GangBunTu Newbie

Hi,
    My machine is RF411 (Windows 7) and after BIOS update through SW Updater, my laptop hangs at BIOS screen.
    Hitting F2 would prompts "Please Wait..." but nothing happens even when I left the machine on for a long time - Capslock indicator stops responding after I hit F2.
    I've found a way to circumvent this: by placing a bootable disc and plugging bootable usb.
    The trick is to wait until "Pres any key..." and do nothing to make it boots from hard disc.
    * Somehow the disc alone doesn't work although the system never considers booting from usb.
    * The trick only works from cold boot, it doesn't work for re-start.
    From the registry (and other route) I see the bios is 10HX. Unfortunately I forgot whether this is my original version or the updated one.

To be honest, I haven't read the thread about downgrading BIOS yet.
    I'm wondering whether the easy way, running Update Software is advisable.

tia

-- edit --
    seems like the problem has been resolved. what i did:
    - chatted with online support and received generic reply: hit F4 for system restore.
    - tried it, saw "Please Wait...".. waited for over an hour then shut the machine down.
    - several attempts later, I would still be greeted by "Please Wait..." -- i was down at this point, laptop completely unusable.
    - since I had nothing better to do, I finally decided to wait some more.
    - i managed to get inside system restore - see nothing related to BIOS recovery and decided to quite without doing anything.
    - managed to enter windows.
    i don't see any logical explanations for above, but i'm relieved to leave the problem in the past.

9. alisajid

alisajid Newbie

I update new bios my Samsung NP300E5C now I have problem this
    when start
    all boot options are tried. press <F4> key to recover with factory image using Recory or any other keys for next boot loop iteration.
    I don't have Recory and I press other any key coming boot options but not start hdd or dvd
    how I can start please HELP Thanks.

10. John Ratsey

Which version of Windows was the computer supplied with and which version are you running now?

Did you go into the BIOS (tap F2 a few times immediately after turning on the computer) and try resetting to the default values?

John

11. aswert666

aswert666 Newbie

hello sir John, i have a Samsung NP- RV511- A05ae ~ i had a default OS of Win7 64bit installed when i bought it and my RAM is 3GB (1GB + 2GB) ~ but since my Ram is only 3GB i decided to just go for a 32bit OS since sometimes it bugs, after a few years i decided to upgrade my RAM so i bought a 4GB DDR3 1333 and everything is fine in a 32bit OS but this is an upgrade so inorder for my laptop to read more than 4GB+ i need to go to and install a 64bit, so i went ahead saved all stuff and noticed A BIOS update 07PA now i updated, all is well, then i went to REcovery for my initial install and it just goes into boot LOOP, and i cant even INSTALL a 64bit OS, so i Went and swap in my OLD RAM sticks (1GB+2GB default) and it went great nice clean install, but when i WEnt ahead and plug in the 4GB stick, it goes on boot loop, so I figured HUH, bad RAM, so i went and replaced it with a 4GB DDR3 10600 RAM, (cause the default sticks where 1GB 1333 and 2GB 10600 samsungs) ~ So i plugged in the new Ram and the same thing happens boot loop, (the animation screen wont even run) i tested the ram on other Laptops and all is good, tried 3 good sticks but still a no go, Pls. HELP!!~ maybe its the BIOS update that caused my COmp. to be Picky~

12. John Ratsey

@ aswert666
    This is an interesting problem.

Can you get into the BIOS (tap the F2 key a few times immediately after pressing the power button to start the computer)? If you can get into the BIOS then how much RAM does it show? If the BIOS is having problems recognising the RAM then the computer usually won't even get to the BIOS screen.

How are you getting into recovery? I would recommend using the built-in recovery (tap the F4 key a few times immediately after pressing the power button to start the computer) which should go straight to the factory image on the HDD. If that is getting stuck in the loop then I wonder if the recovery image is corrupted. If this happens then see here for getting a downloadable Windows 7 ISO file (get the version that matches the Windows key on your computer).

John

13. aswert666

aswert666 Newbie

i can get to the BIOS with f2 with no problems, it recognizes the rams i put in it, but it wont boot to the OS, Windows animation just freezes, "but this is Just for 64bit OS with 32bit OS everything runs fine, ~ im currently using this laptop with the default RAMS in 64bit premium, ~ when i now go in "initial status" everything works now, cause im in 64bit too, ~ it just wont let me upgrade my RAMS~

14. John Ratsey

It seems that Windows is struggling to configure itself for the extra RAM. I don't think it is a BIOS problem.

How much spare space do you have on the HDD? What happens if you disable virtual memory and hibernation (if enabled)? The default settings for these means the file sizes will increase if you add more RAM.

You could also try running MSconfig and then applying a RAM limit in the advanced boot settings. Will Windows start if you set this to 3072 (3GB) then put in the extra RAM then Windows should ignore more than 3GB. If that works then change the max RAM to 4096 (4GB), etc.

John

15. aswert666

aswert666 Newbie

1st let me just say in the most EPIC way possible ~ YOU ARE AWESOME!!, finally it boots, tried asking all forums and they can't find any answers, even technicians are dumbfounded lolz~

ok, . . .
    1.) How much spare space do you have on the HDD?
    ~ it's a newly formated/intalled system 9GB used only in 500GB space, only install firefox and WLan driver

2.) What happens if you disable virtual memory and hibernation (if enabled)?
    ~ i think i shrinked the hibernation mode i did "powercfg -h -size 50" (70% chance i forgot) or i disabled it with "powercfg -h off"

~ i disabled the Virtual Memory, then i did the MSCONFIG>BOOT>ADVANCED OPTIONS>MAX MEM. = did your 3072 (3GB) and shut it down, ~ popped the back and put in the Extra RAM (4GB) then , BOOM!! it worked, ~ now i have 6GB total ram and inside my 64bit OS, but the System it says "3.43GB Usable Ram"~ why can't i use all of it?? (oh i changed it to 4096, in max mem.)~

~if i Enable my Virtual Memory and have the extra Memory (4GB) installed, it crashes at boot screen, not like it freezes like before, now it just crashes, so i disabled that, and now yay~

16. John Ratsey

I'm a little unclear: Is the problem fixed or does Windows still crash once you let it see all the RAM? Ir is it fixed provided you disable the virtual memory? (A fixed 2GB virtual memory should be enough).

If you still have a problem then have you made sure you are up-to-date with software and drivers, including running Windows Update?

John

17. aswert666

aswert666 Newbie

Sorry i posted the results i found earlier, got to excited booting it and it was past 2am hehe

ok after updating Mircosoft Updates and testing out some stuff i can definitely say that Virtual memory was not the cause for the crash so i enabled them again and its all good, see = Screen 1

~Now tnx sir John, I can put in the New Memory(4GB) and boot into the OS just fine now, teamed up with my default Ram memory(2GB), i now have a total 6GB Ram and they ran and booted just fine. (oh and if i Uncheck the Max Memory, with the 4GB+2GB still in, it will Crash)~ so the booting problem is solved with just checking the Max Memory. tnx for making it boot.

~ And now for the troublesome part, . . . the BIOS and the System basic information Sees/Acknowledges that i now have 6GB ram installed, but it can't use them fully, here is a screenshot = Screen 2

thats because the Max Memory is set to 4096 (4GB) see= Screen 3 ~ if i set this higher like 6144 (6GB amount of ram i have), the computer will Crash, same if i go and set it higher like 8192(8GB)~ so that's the current problem now, :eek:

18. John Ratsey

I'm now wondering whether the problem is the memory that can be addressed by the HM 55 chipset and/or the CPU (depending on the CPU age - newer ones include the memory controller).

From what I can figure out, the HM55 may be able to address 8GB RAM but that may only be for desktops with 4 RAM slots. The BIOS is probably just reporting the RAM based on the SPD data (chips on the modules with capacity and timing data) but the BIOS won't try to use more than the first small part of RAM. Then Windows comes along and, unless it is given the RAM limit, it tries to address RAM beyond what the memory controller can address and then hangs.

That's my new theory. What CPU do you have? Samsung's web page for your model doesn't mention the CPU.

John

19. aswert666

aswert666 Newbie

here is my Cpu-Z stats, i saved it in txt file and html file, here sir, ~ Txt & HTML ~

20. John Ratsey

Thank you.

According to Intel the i5-480M should be able to address 8GB in 2 channels so that chucks out my theory about a memory controller limitation.

So perhaps Windows got corrupted during installation. I wonder if it is time to reinstall Windows in case something got corrupted. You can get the latest ISO file by following the links here.

John