Samsung ATIV Book 5 NP530U4E and NP540U4E

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Atom Ant, Jan 28, 2013.

?

What do you miss the most in this laptop?

1. HD+ matte screen?

65.2%
  2. HD+ glossy touchscreen?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Optical drive?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. mSata port?

8.7%
  5. more USB 3.0 ports?

4.3%
  6. AMD A10 APU?

8.7%
  7. Other, I'll write in the forum

13.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alinutza20

alinutza20 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi John and thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

The Settings menu does indeed include display options, but they are limited to display modes (movie, sharp, etc.) and changing them doesn't affect my problem in any way.

I performed a little test today, I connected the laptop to an external monitor and I can confirm that the issue carries over. So I guess it's a driver issue?! I'm trying your second suggestion right now, hopefully it will work. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

2. alinutza20

alinutza20 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, unfortunately updating the drivers from the Intel website didn't work... :( I'm at a complete loss, I have no idea what else I could try...

3. rhed

rhed Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, any of you tried to install Win 8.1 yet? Is it running smoothly already? I'm paranoid about the driver issues lol

4. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    I have been very satisfied using Windows 8.1, only few features not working, for example the express cache or no wireless display output function, but these drivers are still missing from the SWupdate. For now I can exist without those extra features.

However I do not know how to turn my old factory HDD into a normal HDD, it has 7 partitions and windows disk management do not give me any option to delete those frequen partitions. I also have two unallocated partitions and I cannot create a single partition from them... Any suggestion? Here is some visualization about the problem to understand better;

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    We've found that Minitool Partition Wizard is somewhat more capable than Windows Disk Management. It should be able to make something useful from those big empty partitions.

However, I would recommend that you don't touch the various recovery partitions in case you ever need to reinstall the factory image.

John

Atom Ant likes this.
  6. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi Atom Ant,

I've had to lay low for some time, but just saw your post. When I tested 8.1 preview back in June (here and here) ExpressCache worked fine after being re-installed (version 1.0.94). I haven't tried the release 8.1, but I'll be surprised if ExpressCache doesn't work. Once (if) you have it running, defrag the drive, then run BOOTOPT.BAT in the ExpressCache folder.

As for everything else with 8.1, that's another story :rolleyes:

But good job getting it working so well on your machine.

Atom Ant likes this.
  7. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    Thanks guys for the quick reply! This Minitool Partition Wizard is quite impressive, it done everything easily what windows disk management could not do.
    One more thing; I noticed GTA4 runs absolutely smooth from the SSD expresscache and lagging from HDD. Is possible I split the 24GB expresscache for two parts; and use 16.5GB for GTA4 and the another ~7.3GB partition as an expresscache?

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, Minitool is great. I'd heard about it a few times, but only tried it myself a few months ago after seeing John recommending it in a post.

To make ExpressCache use a smaller part of the iSSD, you can TRY the following (I haven't tried it myself):

1) Uninstall EXpressCache, reboot.

2) Delete the ExpressCache partition on the iSSD (using Minitool Partition Wizard) and create a 16GB NTFS partition for GTA4 (or whatever use you want).

3) Re-install EXpressCache, reboot. Either it will create a cache partition on the remaining space (which is what you want) or it will complain when you install it; or it will install, but just not work. Use ECCmd -INFO to check its status.

4) If it doesn't work, just uninstall ExpressCache, reboot, delete all partitions on the iSSD, re-install ExpressCache, reboot. That should get it back to working normally (using the full iSSD).

Alternatively, you can try to forcefully adjust the size of the ExpressCache partition using Minitool. But ONLY after first uninstalling ExpressCache, then re-install it after adjusting the partition size.

On models with Intel Rapid Start (iRST) there is a service called FFSRConfig, which handles dividing space on the SSD between iRST and ExpressCache (for those models that have both) in some secret fashion. I don't know if it does anything other than create partitions of the right type and the right size. See this discussion.

9. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    Thanks for help, I'll try soon as SWUpdate offer EXpressCache for windows 8.1. For now I have to wait, hope it will work as I planning to use it!

10. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    EXpressCache still not exist in SWUpdate, is that normal? or what is that Intel Rapid Storage Technology, is this replace ExpressCache?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.