Samsung ATIV Book 5 NP530U4E and NP540U4E

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Atom Ant, Jan 28, 2013.

?

What do you miss the most in this laptop?

1. HD+ matte screen?

65.2%
  2. HD+ glossy touchscreen?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Optical drive?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. mSata port?

8.7%
  5. more USB 3.0 ports?

4.3%
  6. AMD A10 APU?

8.7%
  7. Other, I'll write in the forum

13.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    Earlier I tried Win 8.1 too, but gave me black screen with vibrating round mouse cursor after few restarts. Hope the problems will be addressed with new patches, drivers and everything will work flawlessly. My new 1TB 7mm HDD on the way, I'll do clean install...

2. DackEW

DackEW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am downloading the 8.1 Update from store, same time I cannot find any 8.1 driver in the SWUpdate yet. Should i wait with installing the 8.1? Not sure what to do.

3. rhed

rhed Newbie

Reputations:
    same thoughts here man. if you're going to go ahead and install 8.1 on your Book 5, please let us know if there are any issues with drivers. appreciate that a lot ^_^

4. DackEW

Reputations:
    Installed it and so far good, except I cannot change screen brightness and SWUpdate ain't recognizing my laptop. How can I rid off the useless start button from the desktop's tray?

5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    On the subject on Win 8.1, please see the sticky thread we just posted about it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...pgrade-until-samsung-has-updated-drivers.html

Even though there is likely to be some issues unique to individual models (particularly relating to graphics drivers) the basic incompatibilities between Win 8.1 and existing Samsung drivers, Settings and SW Update are common to all Samsung models. We're trying to gather experiences and updates about that instead of having it mushroom across all the individual threads (as is currently happening).

rhed likes this.
  6. rhed

rhed Newbie

Reputations:
    Great thinking man ^_^

Dannemand likes this.
  7. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    I could gain some good 3DMark11 points with Windows 8.1 and 13.11 b1 driver combination;

:)

Last time was only 2227...

8. DackEW

Reputations:
    Nice score, I think Windows 8.1 is good for our laptop!

9. alinutza20

alinutza20 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!

This is my first post and, while it's not directly related to the discussions on this thread, I think you're the best and most knowledgeable people I can share this with.

I have this lovely laptop (specifically the NP530U4E) and I love it, but I seem to be having some very annoying issues with it. Since you have the same model, I wanted to make sure that the problem I'm facing isn't standard for it. Oh, I also have to mention that, unfortunately, only the integrated graphics model is available in my country (it sucks, I know), so I don't have the ATI graphics, but the Intel HD 4000.

Mainly, some (not all, as far as I can tell) images and texts look pixelated/grainy on my display, especially the parts with dark(er) colors. I knew even before buying the laptop that it had pretty bad contrast and washed out colors, but from my experience this shouldn't affect image clarity. I've owned some pretty low quality laptops and monitors in the past and, while they had their issues, on their native resolution they looked clear.

This problem is most visible on ANY wallpaper I set. I've even tried higher res than the display itself, as well as actual res. The colorful parts seem ok, but the darker or even whitish ones... forget it. Like I said, I can also spot the issue with some fonts (I THINK the ones that are higher res), the contour is blocky/fuzzy.

Now a checklist of what I've already verified:
    - latest drivers are installed;
    - highest resolution is set;
    - color depth is 32 Bit;
    - ClearType is activated (but the display was the same before and after this step).

Does anyone have any clue what could be happening? It's driving me insane, I've never had this happen before on any computer I've owned.

Thanks!

10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1. Does your (Easy) Settings program (press Fn + F1) include any display options? Try changing them.

2. Try the newest graphics driver direct from Intel.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.