Samsung ATIV Book 5 NP530U4E and NP540U4E

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Atom Ant, Jan 28, 2013.

?

What do you miss the most in this laptop?

1. HD+ matte screen?

65.2%
  2. HD+ glossy touchscreen?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Optical drive?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. mSata port?

8.7%
  5. more USB 3.0 ports?

4.3%
  6. AMD A10 APU?

8.7%
  7. Other, I'll write in the forum

13.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestions, I made the necessary corrections:). About screw driver size I'm not sure in numbers, but I had to use one smaller that worked with my HP or Dell laptops. However if you say so it is Philips 0.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm saying it's probably a Philips size 0 but it might be a size 1 if the screws are bigger than the small screws used on the Series 9 base. It's up to each person to make sure that they have a screwdriver that's a snug fit for the screw. It's very easy to mess up the grooves if the wrong size is used. It's best to get a handle with interchangeable tips. I use one of these.

John

3. DackEW

DackEW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for opening up the laptop, even just seeing the internal layout very useful. I will also do the HDD upgrade, gonna need something bigger than 500GB.

4. Krom_

Krom_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Disassembled my 530U4E-K01RU to check it's actual content and to estimate a possible upgrade. Broke one hook near the card reader :(
    My device inside differs from Atom Ant's:
    1. Only one fan
    IMG_20130818_145507.jpg
    2. The built-in memory module is ADATA 4GB 1600MHz CL11
    IMG_20130818_142941.jpg
    3. The HDD is Travelstar Z5K500 HTS545050A7E380 (same junk)
    IMG_20130818_145444.jpg
    4. And, to my disappointment, single-band (2.4GHz) wifi module Atheros AR9485 (combined with AR3012 into AR5B225)
    IMG_20130818_145520.jpg

After reassembling, I have two questions:
    1. Is there any sense to install SATA-III (6Gb/s) SSD? There is no marks near the HDD connection, either it is SATA-II or SATA-III.
    2.1. Atom Ant, which wifi+bt combo do you have installed? Intel?
    2.2. Is there any sense to install dual-band (2.4/5GHz) wifi with only two antennas?

5. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting those pictures, much appreciated! Very interesting the internal components and layout is so much different as in my Radeon 8750M version. Seems your battery is smaller, different brand HDD and Wifi, weaker cooling system, but both system memory modules are socketed.

Answering your questions;

1. Sata III supported, but make sure you are gonna buy 7mm SSD. Although I do not find SSD upgrade as important, because the 24GB SSD Cache does pretty good job,
    2. My wifi and bluetooth is Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235,
    3. Probably no, I feel my wifi plenty fast enough in every situation.

6. Krom_

Krom_ Newbie

Reputations:
    It's just a HDD over it. Without it, the battery is visually the same.
    They say, SSD vs HDD+SSD cache is still much of an improvement. For me, W8 loading time is more than anticipated from a modern notebook for €650.
    Your wifi card is dual-band, if I'm not mistaken. I have a dual-band router at home and 5GHz is almost empty, while 2.4GHz is rather crowded. On the other hand, my measurement showed equal results for an old dual-band Intel 4965AGN (ASUS A8Sr), operating at 5GHz (40MHz band), and a single-band AR9485, operating at 2.4GHz (20MHz band). It took about a minute to transfer 350 Mb file in every direction, which means about 50Mbits speed.

7. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    Interesting, it seemed to me the HDD eating up some battery space. Although it is shame Samsung did not packed the internal fully, even a 2nd HDD could fit above your HDD.

SSD certainly the fastest solution and if storage capacity is not important or you have money for the 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD than go ahead ;).

8. Krom_

Krom_ Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm sorry for the confusing photo. It's just the HDD flipped the way it's label can be seen. This part of the inside is same as yours.

I keep everything on my home NAS (that's why a wifi speed is so important to me) and on my old laptop there was only about 70 Gb of used space, including Windows XP installation. So even 128 + 24 Gb combo is enough.

BTW, does somebody know, if there is any method to change a share of video memory? It should be in BIOS, but that's not the case.

9. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    Ha ha, that confused me or I did not check the picture enough carefully... That NAS setup is interesting and now I understand why you need so fast wifi card. Although I'm not so good in these wifi questions, so hopefully a more wifi adapter expert will answer your question.

10. 3g6

3g6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Very nice scores, the overclocked performance about level with Nvidia 750M here at AnandTech. My questions are do you experience any GPU or CPU throttling when you play games? Enduro working good? GPU utilization? How are your temperatures?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.